Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help: Can't get DTS/DD 5.1 to work on my HT system

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please help: Can't get DTS/DD 5.1 to work on my HT system

Old 06-01-01, 03:28 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, first of all I've had receiver and speakers for a few months now, and have been using it to hear DVDs through DD 2.0 or Pro-logic(?) because I was told I didn't have the necessary cable. I finally (today) got the cable I was told I needed, a digital coaxial cable, and I connected it. I set the receiver to DTS, and on the DVD itself I set it to DTS, but still, no sound. I bought the receiver/speakers together and it says it's a DTS system, and my DVD player has the DTS emblem on it, so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. If anyone has any ideas on what might be wrong or what I'm forgetting to do, please let me know, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks in advance-
Old 06-01-01, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like you need to go into the dvd player's setup manual and select "bitstream" or "digital" for the audio output.

Right now it's probably on "PCM" or "Analog."

If you get into this menu, just try any of the settings that it's not currently on; I'm guessing it'll be called "bitstream."

Good luck.
Old 06-01-01, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe the receiver just has DTS pass through???

I'd say 98% of the time if you are having probs with the DTS, you don't have bitstream selected, had the same thing happen to me when I first got my equipment.
Old 06-02-01, 12:03 AM

So if I dont have a digital coaxil cable I can't use DTS or DD 5.1?
Old 06-02-01, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First off if you are using the Coaxial Digital connections you DO NOT need to buy Digital Coaxial cales! Coaxial Digital cables are simply 75 ohm cables that are dientical to any decent quality 75 ohm Video cable you probably have laying around! The salesmen just love to tell peopl how they MUST have Digital Coaxial cables that cost $30+ but fail to mention the $7 video cable is just as good!

As for the DTS problem:
Do you select the DTS audio track in the Language or Audio section on the particular DVD's menu? All the DVD's that have DTS on them make you go into a language/Audio menu to select DTS because trying to play DTS without a DTS decoder can do damage to your speakers!

Double check to be sure your receiver either automatically switches to the DTS decoder when detecting a DTS bitstream (as most do) or if you must manually select DTS on the receiver.

Also double check to be sure (in your DVD player's setup) that you do indeed have the DTS bitstream enabled.

Let us know if you get it going.
Old 06-02-01, 04:05 AM
Cool New Member

First of all, thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

I got out the Panasonic DVD player manual and went into the setup menu and adjusted it so DTS and DD were both on 'bitstream'; they were not before. I popped in "Gladiator" and went into the audio options and selected DTS. On my JVC receiver, I clicked the audio 'analog/digital' button until the icon on the receiver highlighted 'DTS'. Unfortunately, the box around the DTS icon on the receiver still keeps blinking, which according to the receiver manual means I can't use it.

I am almost positive I have everything connected together correctly. FWIW, the DVD player is a Panasonic A-120 and the receiver is a JVC RX-6008V. Both say they are DTS capable. I have the five speakers and subwoofer hooked up to the receiver. I have the coaxial cable connecting the DVD player and receiver in the correct slots. Please help, this is driving me crazy. Thanks-
Old 06-02-01, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i couldn't find info about that model (i looked at JVC's site and searched a bit around other sites) but there is a big difference between "DTS Capable" and "DTS Decoder". it is possible that your receiver is capable of receiving the decoded DTS signal, but not able to decode it. to get DTS on a "DTS Capable" receiver, you would need a player with a built-in decoder and then connect the 5.1 connections from the DVD player to the receiver. (I've never done this, but it shouldn't be a big deal, just more coaxial cables between the DVD player and the receiver... and as people have noted above, you don't need the expensive ones, just get decent 75 ohm video cables)

I wasn't able to find a definitive answer, but it looks like the A-120 lacks a DTS decoder. It just outputs the raw bitstream to be decoded by your receiver.

Is DD 5.1 now working just fine? that might indicate that you don't have a DTS decoder, but that everything is otherwise set up fine.

Sorry this doesn't sound like much help, but it could account for your frustration Hopefully someone with these specific models can give better info.
Old 06-02-01, 10:45 PM
pmf

One thing you may need to do is to ASSIGN whatever digital input you have your 'digital coaxial' cable connected to the receiver as the digital input for the DVD player. In other words, if your player is connected to the receiver through 'video 1' and the 'digital coaxial' is connected to 'digital coaxial 2', you have to find out from the manual how to ASSIGN & tell the receiver to look for digital signal via 'coaxial 2' whenever you have the receiver set at 'video 1'. Chances are without a digital source assigned, the receiver is just putting out analog (RCA's to 'video 1') signal you hooked up b/w the player & the receiver. At least that's how things work with my Onkyo receiver.

Btw I found your model under Home Theater/Rack system # GX-10070 and the receiver is RX-6008VBK with both DD & DTS decoder according to JVC.

Try what I thought may be the problem above. Good luck.

PF

[Edited by pmf on 06-02-01 at 09:13 PM]
Old 06-02-01, 11:18 PM
Cool New Member

from the JVC rx8000vbk owner's manual "When the receiver cannot recognize the incoming signal format correctly, the frame of the digital signal indicator flashes. If this happens, select the same digital input mode with the incoming digital signal- either "Dolby Digital" or "DTS".
my first experiance with DTS was on the gladiator dvd. at first i could not get DTS audio. i later found out that i had to set my dvd player digital output to " stream pcm" for the DTS audio to go out to my receiver, which i also had to set the digital input to "auto pcm". this way it will automaticaly detect "Dolby Digital" or "DTS". i may be wrong but i am guessing that your rx6005vbk has DD and DTS decoders built in. was this unit part of a home theater package?
Old 06-03-01, 12:23 AM
Cool New Member

Finally!!

Well, there's a happy ending to this story, as I FINALLY managed to get DTS to work on my system! Thanks to all that helped, I truly appreciate your time and effort.

After I had switched the DVD player's settings to bitstream, I had to switch the receiver's digital audio settings, which had by default CD:1, DVD:2. After putting DVD:1, everything worked perfectly. And now I can finally see what all the hype is about, as the sound is COMPLETELY different than the Dolby 2.0 I had been listening to.

Thanks again!
Old 06-03-01, 08:28 AM
pmf

It's always comforting to see a happy ending!

Now if you have doughed out big bucks for that 'digital coaxial' cable and if where ever you got it from has a return policy I would bring it back in exchange of some descent DVD's. You can always just use some shielded audio cable with RCA plugs at the ends to do the same job.

Have fun.

PF

[Edited by pmf on 06-03-01 at 06:31 AM]