Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

SKYLARK DVD player? Anyone heard of this thing?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

SKYLARK DVD player? Anyone heard of this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-01, 08:53 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHOOPS! Make that SKYWORTH!!!

Multizone. Multi standard. PAL to NTSC. Typical APEX/SAMPO/SHINCO stuff. But what I want to know is...

Will it convert PAL to NTSC properly? (I've yet to find a player that does).

Will it have the usual low budget player syndrome of sound lag on some discs?

https://www.setssl.com/~hivizone/dvd...main_frame.htm

http://www.hivizone.com

http://www.skyworth.com.hk/index.htm

[Edited by Matt Stevens on 05-31-01 at 07:08 AM]
Old 05-31-01, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a big thread about it over on avsforum (www.avsforum.com) in the dvd forum.

Basically, its a great player for the money, has great de-interlacing and is region free. However, the component output suffers from Yc delay, but thats not present on the VGA output. I'm still waiting for someone to answer exactly how severe the yc delay is, as I have no way to use the VGA output, I need the component.
Old 05-31-01, 11:19 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Just read through that forum. Interesting. Still have unanswered questions, which I posted there.

The YC delay will cause colors to bleed. That's basically the problem. If it can convert PAL properly, I won't care. I'll just use the S-Video out and ditch my Tenlabs convertor.
Old 05-31-01, 11:10 PM

VGA/RGB to component converter

Hey guys FNG here. But did you guys know you could buy a RGB/VGA to component converter from Audio Authority or RCA. That way you could use the Skyworth with TV's that only have component 480P inputs. Just a suggestion. I just ordered my Skyworth today from HiVizone. I think they have a pretty big backorder right now! Good Luck.

Kevin C.

Old 06-01-01, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It looks like it came from the Apex factory. I'd even bet that it did. Everything from the drive door to the left is exactly how it is on an Apex 600A.

BTW, most odd brand regionfree players are rebadged Apex's. It's funny how people will praise Model X, and dis on Apex, yet they're the same machine. Psychology is a funny thing.

If you get this, let us know how it works!
Old 06-01-01, 12:34 PM

The Skyworth is no Apex

The Skyworth is not an Apex. It will play ALL discs that are thrown at it. Any region. Even RCE discs. Then on top of that throw in a Faroujda progressive chip and you have one awesome player.

Kevin C.
Old 06-01-01, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Skyworth is no Apex

Originally posted by Kevin Coleman
The Skyworth is not an Apex. It will play ALL discs that are thrown at it. Any region. Even RCE discs. Then on top of that throw in a Faroujda progressive chip and you have one awesome player.
Apex's play all discs thrown at it too. I bet the Skyworth is made in China, too. Pretty much every off brand DVD Player from China is made form the same design by he same company. Compare the pics of a 600A and the Skyworth, it looks like an Apex with a silver case and differently designed left buttons.
Old 06-01-01, 02:35 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
The internals of it look pretty Apex-y. But that may just be a trait of cheap Chinese players. Maybe they'll be changing that now that our recon plane has been reverse-engineered.

This player does use different chipsets than the Apex though.
Old 06-01-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
The internals of it look pretty Apex-y. But that may just be a trait of cheap Chinese players. Maybe they'll be changing that now that our recon plane has been reverse-engineered.

This player does use different chipsets than the Apex though.
Apex uses different chipsets on the same models, so that's nothing to go by. The 600A has about a half dozen different versions in itself. The more I'm looking into this Skyworth, the more I'm finding it to be the same Chinese off-brand DVD player like the Apex, Hieteker, Orbitron, Raite, etc..

This doesn't mean it's a bad player by any means. The only poor Apex's were the original all region 600A's. They went through a lot of firmware upgrades and chip changes since then. I've got one of the last 600A's made, and I'd put it against any other DVD player under $300.