Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony 530D DVD player - Dolby Stereo setting?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony 530D DVD player - Dolby Stereo setting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-01, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering recently, if I'm getting the most out of my home theater audio.

Here is my set-up, in a nutshell:

I have the front three speakers (left, center & right)... w/subwoofer. And a reciever that handles Dolby 5.1. (By the way, all of my equipment is Sony).

What settings should I have set on the dvd audio set up menu?

I'm trying to achieve basic Dolby Stereo, however, do to the confines of the room. Just basic left & right stereo with the center channel for dialog.

The options I'm given on the dvd menu are:

Audio ATT: On or Off
Audio DRC: Standard or TV Mode
Track Selection: Auto or Off
Downmix: Dolby Surround or Normal
Digital Out: On or Off

I need to know how to set these to achieve the 'Dolby Stereo' sound.

Also...an added note...when watching films I keep my reciever set on '3 channel' stereo surround with the Dolby filter on (if that makes sense).

ANNNy info would be great!

Thanks
Old 05-30-01, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You are NOT GETTING the most out of your setup if you are watching movies in 3ch stereo!!

Dolby stereo still has 5 speakers. Its just that the rear is mono with dolby and it is stereo with DD5.1.
Why don't you just go out and get a cheap set of rear speakers and watch your movie in DD5.1? You can get a cheap set of speakers for less then $100.00.

How do you have your DVD player hooked up to your receiver? Are you using the red and white RCA audio cables? If you are then you are watching the movie in Dolby stereo.

[Edited by ANDREMIKE on 05-30-01 at 06:16 AM]
Old 05-30-01, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I'm reading this right, you are trying to get the settings right for Pro-Logic?

First ?: How is the DVD player connected to the rcvr - are you using the analog cables (standard RCA that come in the box) or a digital cable? If you are using the analog cables, set Downmix to "Dolby Surround" and Digital Out to "Off"

If you want to get full use of DD/DTS, you will need a digital cable - either coax or optical (for DTS, you will need a rcvr that decodes DTS, according to the manual). Then set Downmix to "Normal", Digital Out to "On", and there's a couple of options under Digital Out

(I assume you have the receiver setup correct (rears are "Off" or "No")

You should also invest in a couple of rears to get the full digital

BTW, in the 530 setup menu, there's also a Speaker Setup option. Don't worry about that unless you have the 530 connected to a "digital ready" rcvr with 5.1 cables. In this particular case, DTS is not supported

[Edited by Dr. Dank on 05-30-01 at 01:43 PM]
Old 05-30-01, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by newecho
Audio ATT: On or Off
Audio DRC: Standard or TV Mode
Downmix: Dolby Surround or Normal
Digital Out: On or Off
Set Audio ATT to "Off".
Set Audio DRC to "Standard".
Set Downmix to "Normal". (I think.)
Set Digital Out to "Off".

Use the analog R and L audio outputs on your DVD player and connect them to the R/L audio inputs on the receiver. Set the receiver to 3-Stereo (and make sure the center channel is set to "Normal"). That should downmix the 5.1 soundtracks on your DVDs into basic stereo surround sound, and give you sound from the front three speakers.

If you have a little money, go out and buy two rear speakers, connect the DVD player to the receiver using the 6-channel "5.1" outputs (or a digital connection if possible) and utilize the better audio offered by DVDs.