DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help picking TV

Old 05-25-01, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really need to upgrade. Would like a 16:9, larger than 35", prefer not to have rear projector, don't have the right room for front projector, can afford to spend several thousand. Any suggestions appreciated, I am just starting my search.
Old 05-25-01, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

most of the direct-view 16:9 HDTVs (at least in the U.S.) are 34 inch with retail pricing above $3k. there are, however, a few larger ones (38' to 40') on the market. below are a few models:

--SharpVision, 34N-WF5H, 34'
--Panasonic Tau, CT-34WX50, 34'
--Toshiba, CW34x92, 34'
--Philips 32PW8504/12
--RCA, F38310

Samsung makes a FLCD RPTV model that is very thin (about 14 inches or so). This model replaces last years LCD model. Although far from perfect the LCD model usualy sells for around (or under) $2k.

Old 05-25-01, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks audrey, I read a lot about how good the Toshiba rear projection TVs are, do you have any insight on brands with the direct view?
Old 05-25-01, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

a lot of people like the Panasonic. but to my eyes both the Sharp and Tosh have a better picture (they use the same tube). of these two, the Tosh has a slightly better picture than the Sharp, but the Sharp has much better ergonomics and a faster tuner (the Tosh takes about 1-2+ seconds to change channels). the Tosh also tends to have geometry problems (these might be solved now).

i tried the Tosh for about 6 weeks, but returned it for the Sharpvision. it's been about a year since i was in the market and i know that other companies have relesed direct-view widescreen models.

Below are some reviews from Widescreen Review

Panasonic: http://db.widescreenreview.com/equip...ecid=12&-find=

Sharp: http://db.widescreenreview.com/equip...cid=110&-find=

Tosh: http://db.widescreenreview.com/equip...d=32771&-find=
Old 05-25-01, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by audrey
most of the direct-view 16:9 HDTVs (at least in the U.S.) are 34 inch with retail pricing above $3k. there are, however, a few larger ones (38' to 40') on the market. below are a few models:

WOW, 38 to 40 foot diagonal 16:9 Direct Views. I didn't know they existed. I would get one, but it wouldn't fit in my living room

Sorry I had to call you on your mistake
Old 05-25-01, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

very helpful audrey, thanks!