Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Subwoofer on its side, opinions?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Subwoofer on its side, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-01, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to fit my subwoofer onto a shelf in my home entertainment center. But before I do, I need to know if it's okay to lay my subwoofer on it's side and leave it that way, for permanent use?

Any info would be appreciated!

Old 05-24-01, 08:41 PM

Well I think you are proposing two subwoofer no-no's. Putting a sub in an entertainment center will most likely diminish the full effect of the sub, not to mention some nasty vibrations from the EC itself.

As for putting it sideways, if it's a downfiring sub, then for sure I wouldn't go that method. If it's a front firing sub, than at least the sub was constructed to be what you would consider "on it's side".

p.s. What sub do you have anyway? Also, why can't ypu place the sub in a corner, or at least NOT in the entertain. center??

Alfer
Old 05-24-01, 10:22 PM

Bass is non directional (atleast below about 80 hz) so you dont have to believe it needs to be up front in the center for the best effect. Also a subwoofer's whole purpose is to move lots of air to create an experience you both hear and feel, anything that blocks the cone or any vents (circular/rectangular holes in the box) can not only cause a loss in output from the subwoofer but also create vibrations. Placeing it inside something like an entertainment center will cause some horrible rattling especially from the shelves in the unit as well as the doors that are typically on one. I would recommend (as alfer mentioned) a corner of the room, even behind the couch if there's space is better than in the entertainment center.