Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Playing CD's Through DVD player, No Bass

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Playing CD's Through DVD player, No Bass

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-01, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We JUST got our home system and everything works great, tapes play all the speakers and the bass, and even DVD's play to the subwoofer, but for some reason when I play CD's through the DVD player there is NO BASE AT ALL.

I use the optical/digital output to my receiver, same brand everything, whats the problem, please help
Old 05-19-01, 10:13 AM

I'm not sure; but for someone to help you on this bass management problem you're going to have to list the brand and model of your receiver. How you have your sub connected to the receiver would be useful also.
Old 05-19-01, 03:23 PM

Perhaps the speakers are set to 'large' and the subwoofer is only playing LFE info(the .1 in 5.1)...

This could be a big problem for sub/sat systems....

Make sure speakers are set to small(unless they each have built-in powered subwoofers in them) so that the bass from the mains (below the crossover frequency(usually around 80 or 90 hz)) will go to the sub along with the LFE for movies..

If those aren't problems/solutions that work for you then we'll need further information about receiver settings...
Old 05-21-01, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brandon Miller
but for some reason when I play CD's through the DVD player there is NO BASE AT ALL
That is because all your base are belong to us.

A search of this forum might turn up some other threads from people with similar problems. The solutions I think that were agreed upon were:

Your front speakers are set to "large." Make sure it is "small."

Your receiver has a separate sub setting that turns it on/off for music, etc. (Or, maybe each input on the receiver has a subwoofer on/off setting.)

The crossover on your sub is set so low that it will only play LFE. Set it above 100 to get more of the bass.