DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HT in a box ?'s

Old 05-19-01, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have decided to get a HT in a box for my room. One of the models I was looking at is linked below, but I would like to hear anyone's thoughts and experiances on this topic. So check it out, let me know what you think, and thanks for helping me out!

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...=1552&scat=242

P.S. My budget is $400
Old 05-19-01, 03:13 AM

Need to add to the above. The linked setup looks just like the one I saw in the store except it said it had DTS on the box and was 399.
Old 05-19-01, 03:24 AM

I like this also:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...=1552&scat=242

Old 05-21-01, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only HTIB I have seen favorably reviewed is the Kenwood HTB503, and there are several newer versions of this model. Try doing a search on Kenwood home-theaters-in-a-box before you purchase that Sony.
Old 05-22-01, 09:37 AM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

You might also want to check at Sears They had a small Denon set up for display that was pretty nice don't know the price though it was what convinced me to buy my reciever over the sony 945
Old 05-22-01, 10:00 AM

As much as I usually like SONY products, I have nothing really good to say about their speakers.

That said, my father-in-law has a Kenwood HTB-453 (from Costco), and is really pleased with it. I think I saw it in Costco the other day for $299.

The only drawback is that it has no DTS.

Supposedly the JVC Units are nice, too.

Old 05-22-01, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I would reccomend that you get a seperate reciever then a set of speakers, In my case I got a Pioneer VSX-D509s from costco for $199. Check http://www.audioreview.com for the review of this reciever, it has alot of inputs outputs and has great sound. Then find a decent set of speakers off ubid or something for a great sound instead of good sound out of a box.

ShadowHawk
Old 05-22-01, 01:27 PM

I'll check out the Kenwood and Denon systems. I won't be making this deciosn for another month so I have a lot of time to check things out.

I understand that getting a seperate reciever and speakers is the ultimate way to go but two things are stopping me:

1. Money
2. Its for my room

All though I know the sound will be way better I don't think I can truly enjoy it in my little apartment room. I would rather wait for the day I have a house where I could set up a nice system and then go all out.
Old 05-22-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The reciever I was talking abot is $199 you can find speakers for $149 from best buy so total is $348 (not to bad for price) and you can find satillite speakers to fit your room. Because I am in a small room to and have a limited budget but maybe my budget was a little higher than yours. However I just want to help find the best set for that fits the best.

ShadowHawk
Old 05-22-01, 02:33 PM

I'll look into it shadowhawk. Just wondering what your setup is? Thanks.
Old 05-22-01, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am still building mine but I have the Pioneer reciever (highly recommend 2 Technics tower speakers ($59) each on sale. And Sony surround and center speakers for $65. I will probably hear that my speakers are crappy however the sound great together especially if you haven't listened to anything but the telivision sound. The towers sound great for the price, I need to get a subwoofer however I had a small budget so I think you and I are in the same boat, but from me to you get the receiver it is incredeble. The sound it puts out is great.

ShadowHawk

edited to say the towers are Technics SB-T200, they are tall and skinny.

[Edited by shadowhawk2020 on 05-22-01 at 11:47 AM]
Old 05-22-01, 03:11 PM

Cool. Thanks. I started off with my Aiwa using Dolby Pro-Logic and right now I actually have the same brand of speakers (Technics) but they are a few years old. They still sound nice though. However, I was planning on using them for something else but if I go your route all I need is the reciever, center channel, subwoofer and two rears.
Old 05-22-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've had the kenwood 503 system since Feb, and wouldn't hesitate to reccommend it to anyone, especially w/ the budget you gave. i have it in a large basement set-up and have been very pleased with the sound it puts out. eventually i'll upgrade the speakers, and then later the reciever, but for the time being this works exceptionally well. probably the best bang-for-the-buck i've gotten yet in my HT gear purchases.
Old 05-23-01, 11:23 PM

If you can do without DTS, I'm selling a Pioneer Dolby Digital Home Theater System. Email me and I will let you know how/where you can buy it. Itís the Pioneer model HTP-305 and includes the Pioneer VSX-508 receiver. For movies it sounds great. But like all HT IN A BOX systems I think music seems to suffer a bit from the cheaper speakers so I replaced it.
Old 05-24-01, 09:37 AM
Banned

Keep in mind that the Sony system is Dolby Digital Ready, this means it has NO decoder built in! Also, no DTS!
Old 06-06-01, 03:08 PM

Well, I have reconsidered the situation and I am deciding to keep my current speakers and work off that...so screw the HT in a box idea

I was looking for info about my speakers. If anyone wants to be of assitance please check out my technics speaker thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=114421