DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Video components for the car?

Old 05-15-01, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I need a TV,VCR or DVD player for the car. Can anyone recommend one. I don't want the portable DVD player. Is there a combination unit that will work great in the car?
Will those power converters work with my home DVD player and a 9" TV?
Old 05-15-01, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ANDREMIKE
Will those power converters work with my home DVD player and a 9" TV?
My friend has used one of those to power a TV and separate VCR with no problems.
Old 05-15-01, 09:45 AM

The reason I ask about the converters is because my brother-in-law used one and he had nothing but trouble with it. He had a 13" TV and a vcr and the damn converter kept shutting down. Can anyone recommend a converter?
Old 05-15-01, 10:20 AM

The reason I ask about the converters is because my brother-in-law used one and he had nothing but trouble with it. He had a 13" TV and a vcr and the damn converter kept shutting down. Can anyone recommend a converter?
Sounds like to me the convert he has doesn't have the right wattage output to run those devices. Find out what the wattage ratings for each device is and get a converter accordin to those specs. I have never had any problem with mine.
Old 05-15-01, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by palebluedot
Sounds like to me the convert he has doesn't have the right wattage output to run those devices. Find out what the wattage ratings for each device is and get a converter accordin to those specs. I have never had any problem with mine.
What brand, model# do you have?

Can you recommend what size I might need? I have a 9" panasonic TV or a 13 monitor and a RV-30 DVD player. I will have to buy an RF modulator since my TV only has coax in.

[Edited by ANDREMIKE on 05-15-01 at 09:16 AM]
Old 05-15-01, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

You want an Inverter. It is DC to AC. The issue is two things:

1) You need enough capacity. You can't run a 300 watt TV and a VCR on a 100watt Inverter. Check how much current the items draw. Roughly....120V x 1 amp is 120watts. A TV will draw more amps. A VCR less. Most Inverters will shut off is the current draw is too high.

2) Battery capacity. Most Inverters also sense if they are draining the battery. When the battery gets to 10.5v or so, they shut off. A TV will suck a battery very quickly. If the car is running, you are fine, because the alternator is supplying the power.

I use a SIMA model Inverter and have been very happy with it.
Old 05-15-01, 12:59 PM

How many watts is yours? what are you running with it?
I was looking at the 300 Watt or the 600 Watt
Is this a good price?
http://store.yahoo.com/wildwestelect...sp600watd.html

ANyone ever use this one?
http://store.yahoo.com/wildwestelect...pwtripou2.html

Old 05-15-01, 05:34 PM

Goto http://www.streeteffectz.com and you'll find what you need. I have 4 tvs in my car (1 in each headrest and 1 in each visor) all running off of a portable player, but you can get an in-dash player if you'd like or one that mounts in the trunk, etc. They even make all-in-one units (a 7" widescreen flip-out, DVD/CD player, 5.1 surround decoder, and AM/FM reciever all in a single-din sized unit!) Good luck!
Old 05-15-01, 05:35 PM

Heres a picture of what I have:
http://www.streeteffectz.com/VIDEOpics/mx6mon1.jpg