Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Apex is still the best choice for a multi-region DVD player.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Apex is still the best choice for a multi-region DVD player.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-01, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Wanted an extra DVD player to play my import R2 DVDs. I looked on the web, but most of the import players are expensive (plus overseas shipping) and don't convert PAL to NTSC. I ended up going back to the Apex for a cheap multi-region DVD player. The Apex 703 is a nice little 3 disc player that also plays SVCD, VCD, and MP3 CDs. The DVD quality is decent, but not up to par with my Onkyo. The most important thing is the firmware hack that is downloadable at DVD Wizards. It brings back the famous loopholes menu from the old 600a. You just check to see what chip your Apex 703 has and download the correct upgrade, burn it to a CD and upgrade the player. $179.99 at Circuit City is not too bad for a multiregion player.
Old 05-14-01, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did the firmware update help the video quality?
also, how easy was it to update the firmware.
marc
Old 05-15-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by taktheride
did the firmware update help the video quality?
also, how easy was it to update the firmware.
marc
No, its still the same old Apex video quality which is the one knock against the player. I use it mostly to watch import DVDs and SVCDs. My regular DVDs I watch on my Onkyo. The firmware is very easy to upgrade. You will have to open your player to check whether you have a CS or BT chip, but most of the current Apex 703 models manufactured 10/00 have a BT chip. Download the new firmware from DVD Wizards. Burn it on a CD and load it in the player. The firmware comes with a text file telling you all the steps.