Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP: Suprman and Sony DVP-7000

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HELP: Suprman and Sony DVP-7000

Old 05-03-01, 10:40 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Superman DVD won't play on my Sony DVP-7000. It just spins for a few seconds then stops when I put it in. No audio or video of any kind. I then took the DVD to my other player, Toshiba 1600, and it plays fine. Anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any idea the problem could be and how to fix it?

Thanks
Old 05-03-01, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I talked to a guy who had this problem with a Fisher. Its probably a compatiblity issue with all the info on the disc plus its the fact its a DVD-18. Try more discs on that machine and see how they work. Feel free to email or contact me with more questions.
Old 05-03-01, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I first put Superman in my Panasonic RV30 it read no disc. I put in another one, then superman and all was well.

There may indeed be some issues with this DVD.
Old 05-03-01, 10:51 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by adia4625
I talked to a guy who had this problem with a Fisher. Its probably a compatiblity issue with all the info on the disc plus its the fact its a DVD-18. Try more discs on that machine and see how they work. Feel free to email or contact me with more questions.
I put Superman II in and that worked. I then tried Superman again and the same thing happened.

Any other suggestions?
Old 05-03-01, 11:00 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It has to be the disc because I have the exact same Sony you do and I spent all day yesterday watching the film and every one of the extras (except for the commentary track--there just ain't enough time in the day!). I had no problems of any kind, save for scraping a few layers of skin off my chin when it hit the floor after seeing the impeccable transfer. I used to own the pre-restoration, grainy, dirty, washed-out LaserDisc and just let me say...oh...my...God! I cannot believe SUPERMAN looks as good as it does now! Go take that faulty disc back and get another A.S.A.P.!

P.S.--The Digital Bits is reporting that several people are getting Region 3 versions of the DVD by some kind of bizarre shipping accident which, more than likely, will cause the disc to not play in your player. They say to check the tiny print around the edge of the center-hole--if it says Region 3, you need to take it back and try to secure one that says Region 1.
Old 05-03-01, 11:04 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Filmmaker
It has to be the disc...
But why did it work on my Toshiba 1600?

P.S.--The Digital Bits is reporting that several people are getting Region 3 versions of the DVD by some kind of bizarre shipping accident which, more than likely, will cause the disc to not play in your player. They say to check the tiny print around the edge of the center-hole--if it says Region 3, you need to take it back and try to secure one that says Region 1. [/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll check it out tonight.
Old 05-03-01, 12:07 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by genen:
But why did it work on my Toshiba 1600?

Right--let me clarify: one of three things is happening. 1) You have a Region 3 disc, per The Digital Bits info. 2) Your disc is suffering from a fault that the Sony is more sensitive to than the Toshiba, similar to how certain players will play a scratched DVD better than others. 3) Your Sony is suffering from some kind of malfunction, since my Sony DVP-S7000 played SUPERMAN gloriously.

I hope, for your sake, it's option 1 or 2...