Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking at getting a new player-What do you like?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Looking at getting a new player-What do you like?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-01, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

My older Toshiba unit is starting to freeze for 2-5 seconds per movie (don't know why) and have been thinking about a new unit in the 200.00 - 250.00 price range.

I have loved the Toshiba player I have and only paid 100.00 for it 1 1/2 years ago, What does everyone like and would be a good solid unit to play everything you feed it?

I do have a Sanyo model in backstock in the extra room but have not played much on it as I have had no need.

Thanks for the help.

Steve.
Old 05-03-01, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PIONEER RULES!! Never had any problems with them.
Old 05-03-01, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sony DVPS360

BTW, this comes up quite a bit in the hardware forum... I'm sure there are quite a few threads over there that discuss this in depth... And, for my money, I always recommend the Sony DVPS360. Solid player, mid entry level price.
Old 05-03-01, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have owned (and given as gifts) several different Toshiba models and I love'em.

My favorite right now is the Toshiba SD-4205. Its a 5-DVD changer that supports DTS and HDCDs as well as practically every CD based format out there (CD, CD-R, CD-RW, VCD, VCD-R or VCD-RW, etc). This model is a little pricy though. Typical price is $399 but can be found for $349.

I also have a Pioneer and I really like the quality there. It plays all the formats I use (DVD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, VCD and VCD-R or VCD-RW).

It all depends on what your needs are. You said your budget was under $250. If you only want a DVD Player and don't care about other formats such as CD-R, CD-RW, VCD-R or VCD-RW, or anthing else then the low end Toshiba models will be good for you. They are relatively cheap and very good quality for a DVD Player. However, if you want the ability to play your own burned CDs or VCDs then you should look at the Pioneer players. They typcially are priced around what you are looking for and support many formats. The low end Toshibas will play VCDs but generally do not play VCD-R or VCD-RW (burned) discs.

Like I said, it all depends on your needs.

Check out http://www.audioreview.com to compare models. That site is just as it says, a "review" site. You will find all kinds of brands and models listed for every budget and you will find owner reviews of each item. This was very helpful for me when buying the many players I have purchased.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-01, 12:22 PM

I would go with a Pioneer dv-343... it plays CDR/CDRW/VCD/SVCD, its gotten great reviews (its the same model as the dv-333 just a dif case) and I've never heard one bad thing about it except the remote. Which I think they fixed for the 343 release, because i love the remote (except for lack of a chapter skip button, but typing in the number isnt that bad).

Also its around 200 dollars retail, less if you look on the web. I looked around for a few weeks before buying a player and I'm very happy with my pioneer.
Old 05-03-01, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by iconoclast dsp
because i love the remote (except for lack of a chapter skip button, but typing in the number isnt that bad).
That is a major flaw.
Old 05-03-01, 01:50 PM

Re: Sony DVPS360

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
BTW, this comes up quite a bit in the hardware forum... I'm sure there are quite a few threads over there that discuss this in depth... And, for my money, I always recommend the Sony DVPS360. Solid player, mid entry level price.
I, too highly recommend the DVPS-360. I should know, I sell them. If you don't need component video and just want to use s-video, pick up a used (or new) DVPS-330 on ebay for around 150. Really great deal there..
Old 05-03-01, 02:52 PM

I have a DVPS560D from Sony, and it's great. I got the D because I my receiver doesn't do Dolby 5.1, but you can get one without for about 50 bucks less.
Old 05-03-01, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by iconoclast dsp
I would go with a Pioneer dv-343... it plays CDR/CDRW/VCD/SVCD, its gotten great reviews (its the same model as the dv-333 just a dif case) and I've never heard one bad thing about it except the remote. Which I think they fixed for the 343 release, because i love the remote (except for lack of a chapter skip button, but typing in the number isnt that bad).

Also its around 200 dollars retail, less if you look on the web. I looked around for a few weeks before buying a player and I'm very happy with my pioneer.
Didn't realize the Pioneer was SVCD compatible. If so I may pick one of these up. I only have an Apex for SVCD now, but I plan on converting all my home movies to SVCD and would like to have an extra player.
Old 05-03-01, 05:33 PM

I don't know if Pioneer are doing the same deal in the USA as they are here in Australia, but the Pioneer 535 with multi-zone capability (including RCE discs) comes packaged with 6 free DVDs plus a coupon for 5 free rentals.

Again, I don't know if this deal is available elsewhere on the planet (or the player for that matter), but if this player is packaged in a box with a green dot on the side, then it is multi-zoned. Definitely worth investigating as it is a very good player that they describe as being future proof due to the fact that it plays DVD-RW(?).

regards, Tim...
Old 05-03-01, 06:43 PM

the chapter skip button isnt a 'major' flaw. I usually watch a movie straight through anyways. Compared to most other dvd remotes ive seen its a lot better. Its small and compact, the buttons are set up nice, ect. My friend sony remote looks like a baseball bat, Its huge and ugly and awkward. I would much rather have the pioneer remote.

Old 05-03-01, 07:42 PM
Cool New Member

JVC...........
Old 05-05-01, 06:10 AM

Thanks for all of the good info so far.

Take care.

Steve.
Old 05-05-01, 10:00 AM

Sony DVP-360

Old 05-05-01, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you liked the Toshiba why not stay with Toshiba?

I have a Toshiba 2109,3109,6109 and a Panasonic c-220 and all work have worked great for me!
Old 05-06-01, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll also recommend a Sony. I have the 550D(didnt' need the D but oh well...). I LOVE IT!!!! No problems at all.
Sony is the way to go. That or Pioneer?