Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I just hooked up my 5.1 system! How could I have lived like that?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I just hooked up my 5.1 system! How could I have lived like that?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-01, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was I thinking! We have had around the components for awhile(bose subwofer/speakers, sony receiver etc.), but my mom never wanted to hook them up because the room would look too cluttered for her. I am now in awe of surround sound!
Old 04-26-01, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Welcome to the addiction

Old 04-26-01, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Avid Fan
What was I thinking! We have had around the components for awhile(bose subwofer/speakers, sony receiver etc.), but my mom never wanted to hook them up because the room would look too cluttered for her. I am now in awe of surround sound!
Did you say Bose?
Old 04-26-01, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball
Did you say Bose?
Old 04-26-01, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Welcome to the club...

I had already had eight speakers hooked in the basement to an old 1987 receiver, so the their wasn't really any surround sound. Just the same sound coming from each speaker with alot of base.

But about six months ago, I bought a KENWOOD System with 5.1, and I was in complete awe with the use of surrounds. I first watched T2: UE, then Fight Club and Last Man Standing. I could explosion and bullets flying past speakers. Truly amazing. The family room had become "my room" so to speak, I rather stay in their than my own room (note: I'm not married - hehehe)

Anyway, I'm still amazed when I watch and listen to my dvds.
Old 04-26-01, 09:17 PM

To the start of a long(and expensive)journey......
Old 04-27-01, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Start throwing in some subwoofers in the front and rear and you will hear a BIG difference.

For many years I didn't have a powered sub, but I recently added a powered subwoofer (Anthony Gallo) on the front channels and a passive subwoofer to the rear, and the sound is vastly improved.

-g
Old 04-27-01, 11:52 AM
Banned

i've had a dvd player for like 2 years now, but have just been used 2.0 internal speakers. I especially like the scenes in the woods and when there is rain. very cool stuff! I think my mom is even convinced now! what exactly do you mean by powered subwoofer? that it has its own discrete channel?
Old 04-27-01, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you say Bose?
What's up with Bose?
Old 04-27-01, 01:32 PM

Once you've crossed over there is no turning back

now try to find an aura bass shaker...
Old 04-27-01, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 390 Likes on 279 Posts
Welcome to the Matrix Neo.......

BTW Bose is not upgradeable beyond 5.1 and many feel that it is overpriced. I think that is what people are responding to....

As a Cambridge Soundworks fan I am unable to make too much fun of Bose
Old 04-27-01, 02:37 PM
Banned

my bose system is composed of a subwofer and two cube speakers that my dad purchased 9 years ago. I just got a super deal on a rca center speaker for $40 from radioshack.I'll be hooking that up soon too. My rear speakers are huge 4 feet ones from the 80's and they go in the rear. My receiver is a sony pro logic and my tv is a sony tv. Now i just need a widescreen tv.
Old 04-27-01, 04:46 PM

Okay, take it easy on the new kid. He's just learning....
Old 04-27-01, 05:37 PM
Banned

New Kid?

Originally posted by Scott
I've been using dvd's ever since they came out. My dvd player was purchased before any movies were even available to buy! Before that we had a laserdisc player for like 10 years and the superior beta format before that. I'm hardly new to home entertainment!
Old 04-27-01, 07:01 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: New Kid?

Originally posted by Scott
I've been using dvd's ever since they came out. My dvd player was purchased before any movies were even available to buy! Before that we had a laserdisc player for like 10 years and the superior beta format before that. I'm hardly new to home entertainment!
I think it's the Bose mention that caused all of the comments AvidFan, don't take it personally. It's an inside joke here on the forum that Bose stuff is not highly regarded... (Here's a Link with some more info that might shed light on the underhanded comments about Bose)

But as has been mentioned before (not in this thread), let your ears do the listening!
Old 04-27-01, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just keep following the posts here and on other sites... you'll soon catch the bug that's draining the rest of our wallets

yeah, i really did NEED that new component this week.... Car payment? what's that?....
Old 04-28-01, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs

Did you say Bose?
What's up with Bose?
Maybe Kenwood has returned...
Old 04-28-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AvidFan,

I am not trying to be rude, but judging from your system and speakers you seem to be a Newbie to Home Theater

I also think the fact that you are still using a Dolby Pro Logic system led us to beleive your new also.

I for one thought you had just upgraded to Dolby Digital from Pro-Logic or stereo and that is what you were so exited about until I saw your equipment post.

I am sure there is a money issue involved, but if you have had a DVD player for such a long time why not have a DD/DTS system? If you are that excited about DPL imagine your excitment once you upgrade to DD/DTS.

That's were those Bose speakers will really shine.....NOT!!!!

As mentioned earlier Bose is sort of an inside joke in the Home Theater community. The shear mention of the word is enough to make most people laugh hysterically.

If you have any questions feel free to ask us!

Good Luck and enjoy your surround sound!

Old 04-28-01, 01:39 PM

You might want to take it easy on Scott, Avid Fan he was protecting you as opposed to putting you down. Jumbo jp summed things up pretty well also. For home theater about 80% of your sound comes out of your center channel. Thus spending $40 on your center speaker might not make sense to some. The rears are used for effects and ambient sounds, thus small speakers are generally utilized as opposed to large units. Also the whole Bose thing. I'm glad someone posted the link to the Bose thread. I hope you take the time to take a look at it.

Please don't think I'm coming down on you here. Two years ago I didn't know much and have learned much from the people on this sight. What has been posted in this thread I feel is more for your future benefit than to slam you in yoiur decisions so far.
Old 04-28-01, 01:45 PM
Banned

well we had the system around for awhile, but i just obsessive about dvd's like I am now. My center channel speaker is an rca that goes for 90, but was an unadvertised markdown that i just stumbled across. I hooked it up and its great. It's good enough for me for now.
Old 04-28-01, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

well we had the system around for awhile, but i just obsessive about dvd's like I am now. My center channel speaker is an rca that goes for 90, but was an unadvertised markdown that i just stumbled across. I hooked it up and its great. It's good enough for me for now.
If you're happy, I'm happy.

The real problem here is that this thread is called "I just hooked up my 5.1 system! How could I have lived like that?" and you don't have a 5.1 system.

What you have is 5 (not 5.1, i.e., 6) speakers, and only 4 channels of information (Pro Logic). 5.1 is a whole other world.
Old 04-28-01, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yup. I thought you had installed a 5.1 system..so either the title is wrong, or you meant that the Sony Receiver is a Dolby Digital or DTS reciever and not ProLogic.

Avid Fan, upgrading from Stereo to ProLogic is a big step, but upgrading from ProLogic to real 5.1 is huge. It's my opinion that unless you are a real audio nut, the Bose speakers will work for you at least for now.

But to really experience 5.1, you need a 5.1 receiver, even a cheap one like the Pioneer, JVC, or Sony models. One benefit I have noticed in upgrading from ProLogic to 5.1 is the clarity of dialogue (center channel) is vastly improved over my old ProLogic setup. I used to find the music and other sound levels to drown out dialogue.

That is what you should tell you mom anyway when she can't hear Julia Roberts easily. Tell her now you need real 5.1 sound.
Old 04-28-01, 04:30 PM
Banned

Yeah, you guys are right. I have a pro logic system. I really wanted to hook the sytem up after I got manhunter(obvious isn't it?). I could hardly hear the voices in it. My next door neighbor has a 5.1 receiver. I'll compare with him.
Old 04-28-01, 04:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I'm in the process of buying a 5.1 system (NOT Pro-Logic). I'm buying a Sony speaker package, I realize it would be better to buy high-end single speakers and subwoofers and have about fifty thousand different speakers around my room, but I don't have unlimited amounts of money. My questions are: do the speaker cables that hook the speakers up to the reciever come with the package system, and if they do, are they (in general) good enough, or do I need monster cables? Also, which are better to use to connect the DVD player to the reciever, a coaxial cable, an optical cable, or the RCA jacks?

[Edited by Suprmallet on 04-28-01 at 02:42 PM]
Old 04-28-01, 04:47 PM
Banned

if you want optimum performance and no delay use optical cables from what i know about physics.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.