Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDTV Set Top Box Question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDTV Set Top Box Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-01, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently own a Toshiba 55H70 television. If I just buy the HD box, (DST3000 I think) will I be able pick up HD broadcasts? Do I need anything else? Do I need to have Direct TV?
Old 04-26-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, you need to have a local broadcaster transmitting an HDTV channel, and probably a long-distance (yagi?) style antenna to pick up the channel.
Old 04-26-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Unfortunately, there is so much misinformation about this type of thing, and sales reps at electronics stores are so ignorant of the facts. I learned most of what I know from forums like this, so I'll be happy to help you out.

If you are looking to receive OTA (over the air) signals through your antenna, first step is to make sure you have good reception on your UHF channels since that is where the digital signals are currently being broadcast. Also, it might help to check out a site such as http://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/broad.html to see if your local stations are broadcasting digitally. Keep in mind that digital does not necessarily mean High definition. Most stations will simulcast their regular shows digitally. Although the resolution is no better, the picture will be "all or nothing". This means if the reception is ample, you will have a great picture, better than cable. OTA HD programming is still very sparse, with CBS offering the most, followed by PBS.
So if you have a good UHF antenna, and your local stations are bradcasting, then yes, all you would need is the digital STB.
I just recently purchased the Samsung SIR-T150 because it is the only reasonably priced unit designed for OTA only with no satellite ability. (MSRP $699) I like it because it is very small and quiet. If you want satellite service, then you can get the DTC-100 for DirecTV, or the Dish6000 for DishNetwork. Both services currently offer very limited HD programming, mostly just HBO & Showtime.

I hope this was clear enough to be helpful!!
Old 04-26-01, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, Movie Man!
Old 04-26-01, 05:45 PM
BEC

Just to clarify what movie man said,

Both the RCA DTC100 and Tosh DST3000 have the ability to receive OTA HDTV telecasts IN ADDITION to Directv HDTV broadcasts (HBO).

The DishNetwork 6000 receives DishNetwork HDTV broadcasts (Showtime, HBO), but needs an add-on device (8VSB)
to get HDTV off your antenna.

The advantage of the Samsung T150, as movie man said, is that the T150 is more sensitive to OTA signals. That's handy if you have poor reception.

RCA DTC100s go for around $500. I think you just missed out (3/31/01) on a Toshiba $200 rebate for a Toshiba HDTV set and HDTV receiver.

Here's a current avsforum thread about HDTV receivers w/ OTA ability:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/013083.html

[Edited by BEC on 04-26-01 at 03:53 PM]
Old 04-27-01, 12:14 AM
Banned

Not that I'm trying to drum up business for these guys, but they are the only retailers I've encountered who not only can spell HDTV but they can answer any questions about it and I mean any.

Advance Logic http://www.copperbox.com

I purchased my HDTV Monitor there as well as the RCA DTC-100, Progressive Scan DVD player, & accessories and could nto be happier. While better prices can be found they always undercut the major authorized retailers. Their www site is not impressive looking but they know this equiptment and how to get you what you want out of it. Even everything I've read in Sound and Vision I don't think qualified me to purchase an HDTV set up, luckly I went to these guys and not Best Buy where I know more than all the sales staff there combined.

I think in your position I'd get the RCA DTC-100 as it receives OTA and Direct TV HD broadcasts - you don't have to be a Direct TV subscriber to use it either. THey were also receiving the PBS HD broadcasts using a coat hanger as the antenna - I'm not so luckly living in the hills though. But the DTC-100 is probably your best bet as its under $500 - be warned the remote sucks ass though but I'm sure like most of us you have a universal remote to use instead. I would reommend the One For All "CINEMA 7+" or the One For All "Producer" You can see them at http://www.hudsonag.com/