DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   vcr recommendation? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/103462-vcr-recommendation.html)

yanhao 04-25-01 01:54 PM

Hi,

So I decided to return the philips SVHS VCR I got last week. I need to get a new one. Any recommendations?

It doesn't have to be SVHS, but it has to be hifi stereo. Sound quality is most important to me. The two vcr that I had can't produce dolby prologic sound from TV broadcast very well (no or weak rear channel output). My budget? if SVHS, around $150, if VHS, under $120.

Thanks!

Thunderball 04-25-01 08:56 PM

I think I speak for the entire forum when I say, What's a VCR?

speedzon21 04-25-01 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball
I think I speak for the entire forum when I say, What's a VCR?
Do we have to post this everytime someone asks about a VCR? Beyond the fact that it's just not funny, MOST people still have and use VCRs, quite often in addition to DVD players. Grow up.

jumbojp 04-26-01 12:03 AM

Well since Thunderball is too busy being witty and Speedzon21 is too busy worrying about Thunderballs comments to be of any help I will try.

If s-video isn't important then just get a Hi-Fi VCR.

I have a Toshiba 6 head with 19 micron heads that sounds great and records better than average in extended play mode.

Try Sony, Toshiba or Hitachi brands they all make nice VCR's.

The weak rear channel may not be the VCR though. You are refering to DPL which is known for weak rear channel surround!

yanhao 04-26-01 07:25 PM

I guess my TV does an excellent job for sound production (Just a normal Panasonic 27"). I connected the sound out from the tv to the receiever and have receiever in DPL mode. The sound the crystal clear and rear channel is ten times better than VCRs. Last night, I get a Toshiba 804 which has 6 heads SVHS. The playback of tapes sounds wonderful, the the sound from the build in turner is as aweful as the philips svhs. I will get a sony in the weekend to see if it's any better.

yanhao 04-26-01 07:26 PM

more recommendations, please!

Thunderball 04-26-01 08:08 PM

Originally posted by jumbojp
Well since Thunderball is too busy being witty and Speedzon21 is too busy worrying about Thunderballs comments to be of any help I will try.

If s-video isn't important then just get a Hi-Fi VCR.

I have a Toshiba 6 head with 19 micron heads that sounds great and records better than average in extended play mode.

Try Sony, Toshiba or Hitachi brands they all make nice VCR's.

The weak rear channel may not be the VCR though. You are refering to DPL which is known for weak rear channel surround!

Hey, geez. I'm sorry, I must have wondered out of the OTHER forum for a minute. How did I get here?

ANyway, as for VCR recommendations, Mitsubishi has some real nice SVHS's..

MichaelBlanton 04-27-01 09:29 AM

A new 'disposable' hi-fi vcr is around $90, there must be dozens of models to choose from, everyone will have their own opinion but trust me--they're ALL more alike than different. They will be hit or miss, in terms of both longevity and simply whether or not you like it, regardless. 'Consumer' vcrs just aren't built the same anymore. My last (current) two happened to be RCA models. I thought the commercial scan and ad skip would be neat features. We may have used them twice. One has been fine, the other in the shop twice and now the video 'jitters' so it's been relegated to my three year old's bedroom.

A legitimate alternative is to visit local vcr repair shops and look for a good six year old or older Sony, JVC, or Mitsubishi vcr that they have reconditioned (will have new idler gears and/or tires, new belts, and new pinch roller) that will probably also sell for around $90. Despite the age, you really are getting a better machine for the money. And the new rubber should last another 5-7 years.

With this in mind, I recently refurbished (on my own) an old Mitsubishi HS-U70 (s-vhs model, but I don't happen to use that mode). I also rewired my system (cable box, dvd, and vcr) to use all s-video connections. I was surprised with the improvement in both audio and video quality. For the first time I really notice a marked improvement in the "THX Certified" tapes I have (like Star Wars). I learned new machines don't compare with my older one, but it took this type of A/B comparison to realize it.

Check out this link on some info about new vs older vcrs: http://www.fixer.com/