Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Radio Shack SPL directions needed

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Radio Shack SPL directions needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-01, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I bookmarked a page here a while back (a long while back) that now goes to the main DVD Talk page so i guess it was deleted.

Anyway, the page was step-by-step instructions for setting up the Radio Shack analog SPL meter for getting your speakers to the same "loudness" with Avia. It discussed the weighting, the response, and the range.

Anyway, I picked one of these up tonight and of course, the page is gone...

Anyone have any other links to other forums or web sites that I can use for this info. I believe there may have even been the correction guide on that thread, but I am not sure.

Thanks, wanna go ahead and get this thing calibrated properly instead of by ear - I'll bet I am WAY off.
Old 04-25-01, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's the basics:

Settings
* C weighting
* Slow response
* 85db setting (or what ever value you want to use as your reference---85 is pretty loud)

Use
* Locate the meter at your listening position positioned at ear height (best to use a tripod--but hand held is fine)
* Point the meter at the video source for all tests, aimed slightly up (be careful not to block the sound w/ your body)
* Play the level setting track (pink noise) from Avia or Video Essentials. (you can also use the receiver’s internal noise generator, but the DVD’s will yield more accurate results)
* Select each speaker one at a time and adjust the individual speaker's level to match as close as possible your reference level (you may need to repeat this process a few time)

Integrating The Sub
While there are more scientific methods, the approach below is painless and works most of the time:

* Turn off the sub
* Calibrate the speakers as above
* Turn off your speakers (you may need to detach the wires)
* Play the pink noise track from Avia or VE
* Adjust the sub's level to -6db of the reference level you used above.
* Hook the speakers back up

[Edited by audrey on 04-25-01 at 07:32 AM]
Old 04-25-01, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by audrey
Settings

* 85db setting (or what ever value you want to use as your reference---85 is pretty loud)
most people seem to use 75db for home use. 85db is theater-level setting, but as indicated, for HT this is quite loud.

The SPL meter has settings for 50,60,70,80...etc, so, to configure for 75db, set it at 70 and work up, which is more accurate than setting to 80 and working down

Integrating The Sub
I seem to recall reading in a thread here that setting your sub to +5-7db over the reference level gives good results i.e. if your ref. level is 75db, set the sub to peak at 80-82db

[Edited by Dr. Dank on 04-25-01 at 11:58 AM]
Old 04-25-01, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dr. Dank
Originally posted by audrey
Settings

most people seem to use 75db for home use. 85db is theater-level setting, but as indicated, for HT this is quite loud

Integrating The Sub
I seem to recall reading in a thread here that setting your sub to +5-7db over the reference level gives good results i.e. if your ref. level is 75db, set the sub to peak at 80-82db
don't hold me to this, but i remember reading somewhere that most dvds' soundtracks are already +10 in the mixing of the track.

i tend to level my sub with the speakers and the tweak by ear. but that's just me.

cranky.
Old 04-25-01, 02:14 PM

FYI:
SPL REFERENCE Levels:

AVIA recommends 85 dB (test signal recorded -20dBFS)

Video Essentials recommends 75 dB (recorded -30dBFS)

The following is from Roger Dressler (Dolby Laboratories - HT Forum thread, he's a member)

". . . the reason Dolby requires test tones in decoders is so you don't need to use a test disc to set the levels. Always believe the internal tones if there is any doubt or discrepancy."
>>I'm of the school of thought that a test disc such as Avia or VideoEssentials is the best way to calibrate, as it's coming from the exact machine you'll be doing most of your viewing on, i.e. the DVD player!
Old 03-20-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm setting up an HT this weekend for a friend. Is there a specific Radio Shack SPL meter that I should look for? Also, what would be a good DVD to test with?

Thanks.
Old 03-20-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by DVD.guy
I'm setting up an HT this weekend for a friend. Is there a specific Radio Shack SPL meter that I should look for? Also, what would be a good DVD to test with?

Thanks.
Go for the analog one. It seems to be prefered over the digital one. Cheaper, too.
Old 03-21-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RS has an analog and digital one. I have the digital one. Either is fine. The analog is cheaper and most people prefer it since it is easy to see the signal level swing back and forth.
Old 03-21-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks