Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Progressive Scan Question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Progressive Scan Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-01, 11:29 AM
PTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been debating on buying a 2nd dvd player, (just recently purchased a HD TV-Mitsu) and leaning towards one with 3:2 pulldown. Dont want to get into the Pioneer 434, as this is not a 3:2 pulldown type! Which dvd players (Toshiba 5109 (if one can still be found,SD- 6200, Sony 760, Denon 2800, would one suggest? ANy thoughts???
Old 04-16-01, 12:08 PM

The JVc 723 is awesome on the Mit. HD and its cheap! 399.00 check out the reviews on audioreview.com and the new sound & vision magazine.
Old 04-16-01, 03:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I have a Mitsu. HDTV as well and just got the Tosh. SD-6200 and it is awesome.
Old 04-16-01, 04:57 PM

I have a 55" Mitsu that I bought last Sunday and I ordered the JVC 723 from ecost.com on Friday (they have it for about $318) and it arrived on Saturday.

The difference is amazing and very filmlike! Highly recommend the JVC (it supports DVD-Audio, too)
Old 04-17-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have the Pioneer DV-37 player and love it. TRUE 3:2 pulldown on the progressive transfer.
Old 04-18-01, 08:42 AM

Price, PTS?

If price is not a factor, then I recommend the Camelot Roundtable. One of the few, if not the only, player out that really doesn't have any performance problems.
Old 04-18-01, 08:54 AM
PTS

El Pollo: price was a consideration, but I was looking in the $500-$600 range, and the Camelot was out of my price range. After reading the article on progressive scan players comparisons, I can see what the Camelot is recommended. But it appears that the Silicon (sp?) chipped players seem to put out a better performance, and I am leaning towards the Denon 2800, now that they have fixed the chroma problem. Also waiting for the TOshiba SD-4700 to come out, see what onboard chip it has. ANyone else read the progressive scan articles?
Old 04-18-01, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by PTS
El ... I am leaning towards the Denon 2800, now that they have fixed the chroma problem.
you should check out the AVS forum as there is a thread on there now of other problems associated w/ this unit. 16 people posting the last time i checked. i too was looking forward to this, but w/ all the bad news as well as the fact that more stuff is coming out soon anyway, i've decided to just give it a pass.

looks like the jvc 723, and toshiba 6200 may be decent budget buys. i don't know how much longer i can wait for the new crop to start rolling out though, some of my discs cry out to be seen w/ a progressive signal. so if i can find a good deal i may just pop for one of these 2.

Old 04-18-01, 04:27 PM
PTS

chol: keep in mind that the Denon 2800 has been fixed, and the problems resolved, so those complaints were mostly before the chroma problems. and it does appear that the Denon people have fixed those problems, and attempted to make the buyers satisfied. but that is just my opinion.
Old 04-18-01, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by PTS
chol: keep in mind that the Denon 2800 has been fixed, and the problems resolved, so those complaints were mostly before the chroma problems. and it does appear that the Denon people have fixed those problems, and attempted to make the buyers satisfied. but that is just my opinion.
if i'm remembering right (and i may not be) what i was reading was more than just the chroma problems. i think there were audio drop-outs and some other visual problems.
i'll go back again in a little while and then paraphrase here or toss out the link.

does anyone here have the Denon and reccommend it as the best player under $1k? if there are many happy owners out there w/out reservations, i'll put this one back on the short list. otherwise, for $400 at BB, this jvc has me pretty curious.
i'd rather get a toshiba since my 2109 has preformed FLAWLESSLY on every disc i've put into it. i've never had an error w/ even some of these so-called 'problem titles' but i think i read about jvc's choking on some of these (like Dinosaur, tarzan).
i talked to one of the sales men and he didn't expect the new models until july/august. is this right?
Old 04-18-01, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

pst:
here's the link to the thread

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002703.html

the main other problem seems to be audio drop-outs although a couple people in the thread said they still loved their unit. if you do go for the denon, good luck. i hope you'll post your impressions of it here.
Old 04-20-01, 07:44 AM
Cool New Member

Just bought the Toshiba 6200 at Tweeter for 550.00 friday.
They have it for 599.99 and I told them that I seen someone on line got it for 550 and we have been buying alot there so they gave it to us for that.
Kelly

Old 04-24-01, 04:05 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out this...

PTS,
Definitely check out http://www.hometheaterspot.com

a lot of good info on the technology as well as your TV in particular.