Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

Question on selling my DVDs - mailing costs.

DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Old 03-19-13, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I have 300+ BDs and HD-DVDs, most sealed, that I want to get rid of by April 8th (Disney Marathon entry ). Media Mail starts at $2.53, though, and that's without adding delivery confirmation or insurance. And packing of course.

How are you all mailing your DVDs to minimize the cost of mailing?
Old 03-19-13, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Question on selling my DVDs - mailing costs.

Some include shipping in the DVD/Blu prices they list (like a 1 or 2 more than what you want for the thing), or they ask buyers to pay for the shipping, or they make specials like 20$ or more free shipping, etc.
There is no real definite recipe.
Old 03-19-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly, if you ship them one at time you would want to use 1st class mail. You would want to buy a large group of bubble mailers on ebay or a discount package store. Don't buy 5 at a time from Wal-Mart.
You will want to put DC's on everything for sure.
You will be able to ship a normal dvd through 1st class for between 1.85-2.50 depending on how heavy the dvd is. Most dvds will be around 1.85 plus DC.

If you are wanting to get rid of them quickly I suggest you sell them in a lot. You will not get as much per title but it's quick and a lot less work.
Also, most HD-DVDS are all but worthless so know that before you sell.
Old 03-19-13, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most dvds fit nicely in Kraft envelopes (I think they are 6x9 and they hold a dvd snugly) and you can get a big box of them for a decent price. This isn't much worse than mailing in a bubble mailer because dvds mailed in bubble mailers get damaged just as easily.

Another option would be to ditch the case and just send the dvd and inserts (in between two pieces of cardboard for protection). I know that a lot of people don't like receiving dvds like this but case damage is fairly common in the mail anyway.

I recommend NOT using delivery confirmation to save on shipping. 99+ percent of my lots arrive just fine without DC and I have shipped over 1000 lots on ebay and at least a five hundred dvds. But if you must have DC you can buy it online for twenty cents extra (if you buy your postage online). eBay seems to make DC manadatory these days! (ugh!)

Insurance is a total waste of money (and darn near a money making scam similar to extended warranties in my opinion)... if 99 percent of your lots make it to their destination and at least 80 percent of your customers are honest at best your loss rate is only twenty percent.

Insurance is $1.95 minimum so at best all of your items have to be worth $10 or more just to break even if you assume that 20 percent of your customers are crooks. If you use a more realistic number - in my experience at least 95 percent of my customers have been honest (but it's more like 99%) - then your items would have to be worth an average of $40 (100 divided by 5 percent times $1.95).

If you use my 'dishonest customer' rate of 99 percent and multiply that by the lost package rate of 99 percent you get a delivery rate of 98 percent. Multiply that by $2 and you have to sell items that are worth more than $100 (average) just to break even.

A 4 oz flat letter (that is not flexible) costs $2.24 to mail. DC is $.90 and insurance is minimum $1.95.

$2.24 with no DC or insurance
$5.09 with DC and insurance

The choice should be obvious!
Old 03-20-13, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the help!! Interesting that FC is cheaper than MM. FC and DC it is, then. I'll probably not buy it online since then I have to print it and printing is a pain with the printer I have, too much of a hassle. I was thinking Craigslist. I looked up a few online. I plan on listing them for $2 under the lowest Best Price DVD Search price. It wouldn't make sense to post them here since shipping would either drive my profits up or the shipping would make it over the lowest online price. Maybe if someone wanted to buy a bunch of them.
Old 03-20-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First Class is only cheaper than media mail up to a certain weight. 10oz's or so. Most single dvd's weigh less than that.
Old 03-20-13, 05:13 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

A single DVD averages 4 oz.

Mailers average around .79 (but can be found cheaper in bulk)....so for me to mail a single DVD or Blu costs around $2.50.

13 oz is max if you're shipping through Paypal or the USPS.
Old 03-21-13, 09:41 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just setup a Amazon Marketplace account, I've sold thousand+ discs of my personal collection for more then fair prices. Plus they give you the shipping costs back. Buying a bulk supply of bubble mailers from Uline would be ideal, otherwise you'll be eating a lot of costs on the mailers. Delivery confirmation doesn't exist anymore, now they just put a tracking label on, I hate it.
Old 03-21-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Uhm, 20% comission to Amazon? No thanks. I'm going to try Craigslist first. Someone said AbundaSale but they are offering like 50 cents. Also no thanks on 50 cents for a sealed Blu-ray.
Old 03-22-13, 08:58 AM

I sell lots on Amazon. The commission sucks but you have a huge audience. I have found that most people on these boards know the deals and how cheap things can be bought for. On Amazon not so much so you can make some money. If you want to make a few bucks I would look at Amazon.
Old 03-22-13, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by foofighters7
Also, most HD-DVDS are all but worthless so know that before you sell.
This is very true. If you got $1 each consider yourself lucky.