Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

funkytown - Bad Trader?

DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

funkytown - Bad Trader?

Old 05-17-06, 12:25 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
funkytown,

See me in my office, please....send me an e-mail.
Old 05-18-06, 09:39 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
"funkytown" is being banned for this suspicious activity.

Can someone please tell me why we're sending funds to people who have no clear trade history on this forum?

Nonetheless, if anyone had better contact/address info, let me know!
Old 05-18-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only other email address I have for him is [email protected] when he rejected my first payment and asked me to resend to this addy
"Message From Seller:
Can you please resend to [email protected] thanks"

I guess I was one of the lucky ones payment got rejected or denied. Also paid using eChecks ( was worried about the trade too) ... was happy to see the funds back in my account today.

Last edited by DisneyDVDFAN; 05-18-06 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-18-06, 10:43 AM
Banned

I joined this forum to take advantage of his deep space nine set. I ordered by paypal soon refunded me. In the order statement i have his address...

Postal Address:

Jason Eiler
2131 west fork rd.
Cincinnati, OH 45211
United States

Hope i've helped you all.
Old 05-18-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I emailed him about buying season 1 and 2 of the original series. He responded right back, saying paypal works best for him. But before I sent funds out, I decided to look into the good trader list. It was then I realized he had no history here, and had just joined DVD Talk this month.

As good as the deal seemed, I decided 'better safe then sorry', and let it go...
Old 05-18-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yeah, I asked him about tNG s5, 6 & 7 on Sunday afternoon. He emailed me back from his AOL address (which is still active)

yup, and there all your for $60. i can dispatch in the morning and i accept paypal.
My grandmother had this saying about deals too good to be true..
Old 05-18-06, 12:19 PM

Well, thankfully, I got my $300 back. Thank God for eChecks through Paypal. I haven't heard from the guy since I sent him the money. Yeah, no kidding about the "too good to be true" stuff. I thought that it was WAY too good, and should have known better. Like someone is going to sell the entire series of Farscape for $140 when each set costs $90 from DeepDiscountDVD. You guys don't know how happy I am that I saw the money back in my Paypal!
Old 05-18-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm glad to hear that most of you have gotten your money back. That's awful. I wish these people would stay away from our forums. I guess what happens is people get so carried away by the good deal it seems that they're getting that they forget to look into trader history. I guess this is a wake up call for some if nothing else.
Old 05-18-06, 02:37 PM

Star Trek Scam?

I was taken in by this offer too. I sent him $650.00 for the whole Star Trek collection via paypal on Saturday the 13th (talk about unlucky). I had sent payment to his email address at: [email protected]

Paypal says that his name is Matthew Garner. It appears that he is based in the United Kingdom. He sent tracking information through paypal using Parcelforce International Datapost as the shipper. However the tracking number he provided is no good and he's not repsonding to any of my email requests (though he sure was quick to reply before the sale closed).

I've since initiated a chargeback through paypal and am hoping and praying that I get my money back, though I'm not getting my hopes up. Basically, I'm looking at this as a very costly lesson.

To all the other members of the forum please exercise extreme caution when dealing with someone who has no track record. If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is. Though it's easy to say, it's often hard to follow through and check yourself from going after a tempting offer. Many of us believe in the basic goodness of people and from my experience 99.9% of everyone on this forum is great. However, just remember that this is the internet and it is extremely easy to pull off a scam like this. Don't be too trusting.

That said, is there anything we can do to report this guy to the proper authorities? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 05-18-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Well i almost got caught by this guy as well. I wanted to buy the TNG stuff off him....but thankfully my Paypal has not been working for me in recent months. I thought it was suspicious when i noticed that he was a new member, didn't have any history for the forum and didn't reply when i asked him for his address details.

Anyways, if it is true that he is in the United Kingdom then i would appreciate someone forwarding me his address details. I am looking at going back to the UK to visit family in August, so if anyone wants me to follow up about him when i get back i will be more than happy to report it to the UK police force and see if anything can be done about it.
Old 05-18-06, 03:54 PM
Banned

So this dude was selling the same thing to more then 1 person? Anyway im not sure if the address i gave was fake but its what paypal gave me, it states he lives in usa. hope you all get your money back, i hear paypal normally return money.
Old 05-18-06, 05:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, I got mixed up in this as well...to the tune of $175 for the DS9 sets. This is the first time I'm even messed around in the trade forum and it sucks to be burned the first time out.

Thanks to the guys on the forum that pointed this out or I would have been oblivious and been at home waiting for the DVDs
Old 05-18-06, 06:58 PM

This may not help much, but I've filed a report with paypal reporting this guy as violating paypal policy by offering to sell a product that he is not going to deliver and using paypal to collect the funds. I encourage everyone that contacted the seller to file a report with paypal at: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...ecurity-center

Go to that webpage and look under Report a Problem / Alert Us to Fraud: / Violations of PayPal Policy

I included both of the emails that he has given "[email protected]" and "[email protected]".

Hopefully if enough people complain paypal will take this guy as a serious threat, freeze his funds, and return everyone's money.
Old 05-18-06, 08:04 PM

Wow, I almost bought into the prices but asked for a pic first. They were all asian bootlegs. I knew it was too good to be true. Hope ya all get your money back.
Old 05-18-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got sucked in as well, tho the pics he sent me were legit.

i just filed with paypal; hopefully they'll straighten it all out soon.
Old 05-18-06, 08:53 PM

I filed a report with Paypal. Hopefully this will help the rest of you get your money back.
Old 05-21-06, 07:22 AM

I had a deal with him on Saturday. I am always suspicious of "too good to be true" deals, so I asked him many questions, and contacted him through his ebay link. I knew something was up when he was okay with me only sending $50, and being able to pay off the remaining $125 on monday. In addition, he told me he could send out my sets on saturday (our correspondence time was after 4pm). I don't know of many post office or UPS stores that are open after 4pm.

Anyway, I backed off the deal without ever e-mailing him back. Apparently, he is still receiving positive feedback at his ebay account listed earlier in the thread.
Old 05-21-06, 10:50 AM

Well, as far as the shipping thing, you can ship as late as 10pm through FedEx. Not on Saturday though, heh.
Old 05-22-06, 08:23 AM

Quote:
yup, and there all your for $60. i can dispatch in the morning and i accept paypal.

just based on the fact that he used the word "dispatch" rather than ship or mail, id say you are definitely looking for a UK based individual rather than someone in cincinnati
Old 05-22-06, 04:38 PM

What everyone has to understand is that high Ebay score should mean exactly zilch for the members of this forum. Ebay does not say that someone is not a crook, what it does say is that they are smart enough to not pull cons where it really matters (to them). I think two simple rules should be introduced on this forum.

1. A newbee MUST mail (pay) first when they deal with a GTL member.
2. A nebee MUST refrain from trading with a non-GTL member until they get on GTL, no matter how good the deal must look. There will always be good deals.

If we did have those simple rules, crooks wouldn't even bother to try and con folks on this forum, since legit guys shouldn't have any problems mailing (paying) first. Of course, that wouldn't eliminate more sofisticated schemes, especially considering that Gold status is very easy to obtain. Theoretically, one could make a few nickel-&-dime trades, get Gold status and then con unsuspecting members out of some serious money. Still, we install anti-theft systems on cars not to make them bulletproof, but to discourage thieves from stealing. Same, I believe, applies here: make crooks work harder on their con, and they will likely move onto easier targets. Just rule of life.

Still, I personally wouldn't send large payments to even a Gold member, until I carefully check their history on this forum. I wish all of you, guys, good luck getting your money back, and I don't mean to sound arrogant, but come on - you should know better!

BTW, might it be that Funki is just another alias for Familyguy? Perhaps, this fella just decided to hit DVDTALK from 2 different angles? They both seem to be in UK and hit simultaneously. Too strange for a coinsidence.
Old 05-22-06, 04:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't know anything about this, but I had to do a double-take when I saw the thread starter.