DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Exchange (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-exchange-6/)
-   -   OT: Is it just me or does GOld Trade not mean jack anymore (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-exchange/405783-ot-just-me-does-gold-trade-not-mean-jack-anymore.html)

JHosk 01-19-05 08:41 AM

OT: Is it just me or does Gold Trader not mean jack anymore

Hi all,

This is more a rant than anything. If this post is in-appropriate please delete.

Is it just me, or has anyone else had trouble with so-called "gold" traders ?? To me a gold trader is someone who ALWAYS follows the guidelines. By that I mean send the parcel within a few days of making the agreement (by the same method as the other is seding: ex: air, etc), emailing when the package is received, etc. If there is an issue it should be communicated and agreed upon.

Lately I've had a lot of bad luck with fellow "Gold" traders. For example a few monthes ago I set-up a multi dvd trade (a tv boxset for 2 se's). I send my package air mail as we agreed. I wait 4 weeks and receive nothing. I email the trader to let him know, and he informs me that he no longer has the dvds he agreed to trade and that he sent my package back. He said he would re-imburse me the shipping. So I assume it was an honest mistake, and ask him to re-imburse me the 6 bucks for shipping (normally I wouldn't bother but it was a tv set and cost me more to ship). Needless to say I never hear from him again.

Then a few monthes later I set up another trade. Same scenario. I send my package air mail, wait 4 weeks and receive nothing. I email the guy and get NO RESPONSE. Later I find out from another trader that this guy waits until he receives his incoming package before he sents out his outgoing package, even though we are both Gold Traders. I think he should let me know this prior to making the deal. I may (and probably would) have looked elsewhere.

I've done alot of trades on this board, and 95% have been great. Just seems unfair that a few dudes like this get the title of "Gold" trader even though they are difficult to deal with.

Just a rant.

Thanks for reading.

bralph 01-19-05 09:26 AM

I learned long ago that Gold Trader simply means that they have completed a certain number of trades, and says nothing about their actual worthiness as a trader. There are a number of Gold Traders that I will never trade with again.

With one Gold Trader, I went ahead and posted negative feedback in the GTL thread. It did nothing to his Gold status, of course, but it at least was there for everyone to see (although it gets removed when a new thread is created).

JHosk 01-19-05 10:49 AM

Right on....maybe I'm just lucky as until recently ALL my trades have been great.

Maybe they need a sticky thread where people can posts their beefs with other traders. To me if someone is being dis-honest, this may be a good deterent.

Falc04 01-19-05 11:01 AM

Same here....95% of all trades I've done at DVD Talk have been great. But I've had one or two where the "gold" trader waits to recieve their DVDs, before sending out yours. If they write and say they can't make it to the PO for a couple of days, that's fine by me. But I had one guy write and say he sent his out the same day as I sent mine. Turns out, when the package arrived two weeks later, it was post marked 2 days after he told me he recieved mine.

Just don't care for dishonest people...."gold" or not.

movieking 01-19-05 12:40 PM

I hear ya!

There are a handful of Gold Traders that I would never deal with again. Some of them lie to you about when it was sent (a couple of times a couple of different Gold traders told me it was sent a couple of weeks before it was....I mean c'mon, I can see the postmark!), some of them lie about the condition of the DVDs, and some of them are just unresponsive. Some are all three. I know that I have a few names in mind that I would never deal with again, and chances are, they are the same ones that some of you guys have in mind as well.

I've left negative feedback for traders as well, but as was said, it means fuck all since they are not docked.

Richard Malloy 01-19-05 01:02 PM

I've had this experience only once. I didn't leave negative feedback as the problem ultimately was rectified, but I too have crossed this person off my personal trade list.

But, other than that, my experiences trading on this forum have been very positive. For the most part, I feel I can rely on that gold status, though I should point out that I tend to trade with the same small group of people, over and over... not from any specific intent to do so, but more likely because we share an interest in similar, generally non-mainstream films.

Dabaomb 01-19-05 02:01 PM

I don't know if this is allowed but can you post the Gold Traders that you've had problems with so that we're careful in trading with them?

clappj 01-19-05 02:08 PM

As with many things in life, there's a few bad apples in every bunch.
You just happened to find a couple in a row.
So much of basis in trading here at DVDTalk is based on trust and understanding.
Sometimes, you just have to be willing to except a little bit of the bad with the good.
I'm a Gold Trader, who's traded nearly 300 times here, but even I've made mistakes before.
In the end, I always try to make good on things though.
Just my two pennies. :)

pyxis 01-19-05 03:08 PM

My main gripe about some gold traders is they're lack of communication. Either they don't answer some question I have about the condition of dvds or they don't respond at all after I mail out the dvds. And I agree about some gold traders unwilling to send their dvds until they receive mine. At least they should mention that before I mail mine out! Overall though...I've had good experiences dealing with most gold traders.

PThron 01-19-05 03:49 PM

I concur with much that's being said in this thread.

I've also traded here for several years and have racked up about 300 or so trades...the majority, the vast majority, in fact, have worked out just fine. I have been screwed a couple of times and the first was with a long ago Gold Trader who was since banned.

The communication factor is key for me...if I don't hear back from people, or if I get the brand of emails that go something like, "U wnt trd DVD?" I simply choose not to risk it. Or on those occasions where I feel someone has not dealt well with me I will simply choose not to deal with them again.
Much like John (clappj) above, who is a very good trader, btw, I tend to trade repeatedly with people I know are trustworthy, or with whom I share similar interests. I'm also willing to give people a shot...hell, everyone starts somewhere. But communication is KEY to keeping things upfront and understood. I always try to make clear in the final email before we ship, what the parameters are: You're giving me XX & YYY FOR ZZ and AA. And we've agreed on shipping, etc.

The bottom line for me, though, is a willingness to make good. Things happen, plain and simple. A missed email, a lost package, etc. How a trader chooses to rectify the situation...or NOT...is the tell of a good trader. I personally value reputation...my own and those with whom I trade. The gold trader standard is at least a GUIDELINE...you know that someone has at least completed 11 satisfactory trades. It isn't however, an indication that someone won't decide to suddenly take off with the goods or simply not come through.

Just my 2 cents...

Bill Geiger 01-19-05 05:17 PM

We'll that is being blunt...why not just come right out and say my name! :)

But honestly, I know how you guys feel. I am currently at 100% in terms of sending and then receiving and vice versa. Had a few incidents were the package was damaged and I made good on it (obviously not my fault). Overall satisfaction for everyone and myself is most likely at 99.6%. Been trading and selling since June of 02.

spartanstew 01-19-05 09:44 PM

I've only had 4 transactions here. 1 of them was with a gold trader who I sent money too and then had to wait 2 weeks for a response to my emails asking for a tracking number. And I think I was finally answered only because I got the mods involved. Hasn't persuaded me not to participate though. Some people are just rude no matter how many succesful transactions they've made.

Stew

DonnachaOne 01-19-05 09:54 PM

We should have a credit/demerit system.

"[email protected] is a GOLD TRADER
14 Positives
3 Negatives"

movieking 01-20-05 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
We should have a credit/demerit system.

"[email protected] is a GOLD TRADER
14 Positives
3 Negatives"

I think that this is an excellent idea, but it might be too much work for a mod to do.

JHosk 01-20-05 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
I don't know if this is allowed but can you post the Gold Traders that you've had problems with so that we're careful in trading with them?

I doubt posting the names would be appropriate, but if you fire me an email I would certainly give you the info.

I agree with movieking. Feedback system is a great idea, but probably not viable.

Like the others said MOST traders on this board are of the same mindset. They treat other traders the way they would like to be treated. Its a handful of dudes out there. I would bet most of peoples negative experiences are from the same subset of traders. I've already bounced emails off friends who trade on this board, and they have similar problems with the EXACT SAME people I have had problems with. I just think that this small subset of traders should be exposed.

abintra 01-20-05 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by movieking
I've left negative feedback for traders as well, but as was said, it means fuck all since they are not docked.

The feedback thread doesn't log negative feedbacks? That is a very strange and unhelpful practice.

movieking 01-20-05 05:19 PM

Not if you are a gold trader. Come to think of it, even if you are not a gold trader, I don't think minuses get deducted.

There have been a couple of different traders that have built up to Gold Trader status, and then scammed a bunch of people at once, never to be heard from again.

SlingshotBandit 01-20-05 09:28 PM

I'm wondering how feasible it would be to have a tier system of trader status that goes beyond Gold. Like our posting status under our Forum Name (e.g., "DVD Talk Special Edition") based on the amount of posts, maybe we can do that based on the amount of positive trades/transactions.

I know I've conducted enough transactions to be a Gold Trader 20 times over, so say we had a system that states 10-40 positive transactions earn you a Gold Trader status, 41-70 positive transactions earn you Platinum Trader status, 71-100 earns you M.V.T. (Most Valuable Trader) status, 101 + earns you Legendary Trader status, and so on and so forth.

Anybody can purchase 10 dvds and any different time, to earn Gold Trader status. And then when it comes time for "trading time" they're liable to screw someone over by using the guise of being a "Gold Trader", all the while never really taking part in a dvd swap ever.

I think that's a system that would work. List people's names under the different types of trading status.

abintra 01-20-05 09:52 PM

Why not just keep it simple by listing the amount of positive and negative feedbacks?

I'm confused how it wasn't done that way from the beginning rather than a blanket system that doesn't allow feedback for users once they reach gold status and deliberately discourages negative feedback at that point. That seems very odd to me.

Brent L 01-20-05 10:06 PM

Isn't there a website out there that allows people to sign up for it, which acts as some sort of feedback system for setups like what we have here in the exchange forum? I forget what site I'm thinking of though.

If it was up to me, a system would be put together that had all of our information logged, including both positive and negative feedback.

I consider myself lucky I guess, since I haven't had anything but perfect trading experiences here, and everywhere else for that matter. Got_Criterion almost got me, I was thinking about emailing the guy right before that mess went down, but I never got around to it.

SlingshotBandit 01-20-05 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Isn't there a website out there that allows people to sign up for it, which acts as some sort of feedback system for setups like what we have here in the exchange forum? I forget what site I'm thinking of though.

If it was up to me, a system would be put together that had all of our information logged, including both positive and negative feedback.

I consider myself lucky I guess, since I haven't had anything but perfect trading experiences here, and everywhere else for that matter. Got_Criterion almost got me, I was thinking about emailing the guy right before that mess went down, but I never got around to it.

I think the program, or site, is heatware. I've been meaning to get into this, but I looked at the website and thought it wasn't user friendly.

Anyway, so far I've got lucky with my trades, as well. (Knock on wood.) But the forum seems ripe for a bad transaction every now and then, UNLESS you take necessary precautions. Small price to pay for a great forum.

actyper 01-21-05 11:05 AM

I've just been assuming everyone's a gold trader, unless the have a "new user" or something under their alias.

classicman2 01-21-05 11:43 AM

The ultimate slap in the face from a gold trader - you get stiffed on Salo.

IMO, gold trader doesn't mean what it use to mean. I recently had a gold trader mail his trade to me 28 days after he received my trade. His excuse - 'I just didn't get around to it.' When I rec'd. it I discovered it was sent media mail (when we agreed on first class) and packaged in a simple brown envelope - no bubble wrap, no packing.

Logic 7 01-21-05 11:44 AM

There are a couple people as stated by others that are gold traders that have only shipped after they received mine even though we agreed to ship at the same time. What I find more surprising is that I have more trouble with getting gold traders to simply respond to an offer ive made. I mean how do you get to be a gold trader if you dont respond to offers? I know that the reason I got to be a gold trader is I've treated everyone ive dealt with, with kindness and always tried to ship as quick as possible.

btlives 01-23-05 07:38 PM

I truthfully do not understand why this forum has
ONLY one moderator?

Some of my many Goldless trades include:

A Torn plastic dvd cover with a
post it note that said that he got it
That way....go figure.

2 dvds that would not load/play.
Both I took into CC and they would not
load on any of their 30+ players.
So I doubt it was my player issue.

My favorite a sealed dvd in Saran Wrap
sold as new....Scotch tape and all.

Finally...A clear bootleg from the Mod..
That is/was the last trade I have done here.

btlives