Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

New Exchange Forum Policies --> Delivery Confirmation / Shipping!

DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Old 11-07-04, 07:40 PM
Mao

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

After much thought and consideration, it is apparent that several things must be done to insure that trades and sales continue to go smoothly, with less room for problems and complaints.

1) Effective immediately, I will no longer be able to adjudicate a trade/sale problem without proof of insurance and/or delivery confirmation. If you don't use either of these simple things for your own protection, you now forfeit the right to any complaint or charge.

The US Postal Service now offers free Delivery Confirmation when you "Click-And-Ship" from home.

2) Unless specific arrangements have been agreed to by both parties, all trades or sales must be shipped within three (3) business days of sealing the deal.

3) A confirmation shipping e-mail must be sent within one (1) day of shipping (hopefully including a delivery confirmation number or trackable method of shipping/insurance).

We've simply become too confident or laid back in what we do here not to protect ourselves and insure the highest quality of trading and exchanging we've come to expect from our valued members.

Last edited by Mao; 11-18-04 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-07-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
In your third line, it says "no" instead of "now". Odds are people will figure it out, but better safe than sorry.
Other advantages to Click n Ship:
* no additional charge [postage costs only]
* you can print on regular paper and just tape it to the package.
There's no reason not to use Click n Ship for most smaller packages, and free DC is icing.
Old 11-15-04, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can only print priority labels with "Click-And-Ship", right?
Old 11-17-04, 03:15 PM
Mao

Correct!
Old 12-05-04, 10:21 AM
Banned

What about when shipping to Canada? I always put DC's on my packages but you can't do it when you ship out of the country.
Old 12-05-04, 05:08 PM
Mao

tsl141,

See this thread....
Old 12-05-04, 10:00 PM

For those reading THAT thread, I'd like to point out that it says the BULK of bad trades go wrong cross-border. However, count up the people on that bad trade list. The Americans outnumber the Canadians by like 3 to 1.

I have no beef whatsoever with the Admins washing their hands of with "we take no responsibility for cross-border trades" but as a Canadian Gold Trader (and there are many of us), I find the wording of that post rather frustrating.

Just my two cents; no disrespect meant to Mao or the other admins.
Old 12-06-04, 11:39 PM
Mao

mensachicken,

None taken.....

Please understand that we in no way discourage trades across the borders and many of our finest traders are outside the U.S.
Old 12-10-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you decide to pay someone with paypal, they can ship right from there
Old 01-18-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is off-topic, but I'm not sure where to post this question. So I'm going to post it here...

Right now, I'm involved in a trade with someone here on DVDTalk exchange forum. The person mailed 3 DVDs to me on Dec 29th using media mail. The package never arrived, so I contacted the person on Jan 16th about the package. He replied saying that the mail was returned to him because of wrong address so he re-shipped it on Jan 15th. My question is this... he said he used whitepages.com to verify my address. I have never used whitepages.com to verify a shipping address. It was a surprise to me that someone here uses whitepages.com for that purpose. I was wondering if this is widely practiced on this forum to use whitepages.com to verify address. Because I sent him payment using paypal, and that should be a better source of my address.

The reason I'm asking is that I don't know very much about this whitepages.com and I never enter my address info on that web site. So I'm not sure how reliable it is. So it's a surprise to me that someone is using that web site as a source for address verification.

Any thought on this topic? Is there a better place to post this question for discussion?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Mookiemeister, it seems odd to me that someone would (1) mail to any address other than the one you provided them, and (2) get the DVDs back and resend them all without contacting you. I hope you've now received a delivery confirmation number from the other party to the trade.
Old 01-18-05, 01:11 PM

Thanks for your reply. I've been trading a while on DVDTalk exchange forum and am a gold trader. And I felt a little strange about this trade, so I thought I should post something here and see if other people have any thought about it.

He said he made a mistake in one digit in my address. So the package was returned to him with 'no such address'. So he said he checked address on whitepages.com. And he said he re-shiped it using priority mail last Saturday (Jan 15th), and told me to expect the package on Wednesday (Jan 19th). After he told me he used whitepages.com to double-check my address, I told him to email me if he ever need any information about me.

I don't know if he uses delivery confirmation or not. He didn't mention it. But he told me to wait until Wednesday for the package to arrive, so that's what I'll do. Not much else I can do.
Old 01-30-05, 04:41 PM

What about when DC doesn't work. I mailed a package to a person I have made 2-3 great trades with in the past on Jan. 11 and the package still hasn't arrived. The DC# page hasn't been updated since the package was scanned at my PO. Now I will be refunding this person there DVDs later this week, but how long should someone genrally wait for something mailed "Package Services" to arrive? I have used the 3 week rule for quite a while now, and wanted to know if that's too long or too short.
Old 01-31-05, 09:32 AM
Mao

JJE-187,
I would check with the post office branch and ask them! A similar thing happened to me on my first e-bay sale. The item eventually showed up. I wouldn't wait more than a week before beginning inquiries.
Old 01-31-05, 09:50 AM

Here is a link to USPS FAQ page that lists all the estimated delivery time for different classes of mail:

http://hdusps.esecurecare.net/cgi-bi...eSB0aW1l&p_li=

EDITED: For some reason, I can't seem to get the direct link to the USPS estimated delivery time web page to work. If you want to access the USPS delivery time, try the following procedure:

1) Go to http://hdusps.esecurecare.net/cgi-bi...duser/faqs.php

2) Enter 'delivery time' in the search box and click 'search' button.

3) Now you'll get a list of topics. Just click on the line 'What are the estimated delivery times for each of the Domestic Classes of mail?'

Last edited by mookiemeister; 01-31-05 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-31-05, 07:21 PM

I checked with my local branch and they said that it was possible that the package was at that persons local PO waiting to be picked up, I told the person and he sounded adament (sp?) that his carrier delivers alot of packages to him and wouldn't return a package to his PO, I am not faulting this trader I am going through a somewhat similar ordeal with another trader, although my trade involves crappy junk 1 can buy a the Wal-Mart cheap-o bin and this trade involves 8 DVDs from me and 2 High-End Special Edition from him. Maybe these will show up with me or with him in a month or so.
Old 02-17-05, 06:44 PM
Banned

for those mailing packages from home, how are you estimating the length/width, weight of package? they don't advocate using a bathroom scale; did you guys buy a special scale and if so where's the cheapest place to get one?
Old 02-19-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JJE-187
What about when DC doesn't work. I mailed a package to a person I have made 2-3 great trades with in the past on Jan. 11 and the package still hasn't arrived. The DC# page hasn't been updated since the package was scanned at my PO.
I personally believe DC#s are just useless. I've had some that were not scanned when I shipped the item from my local branch. I've had others that were never scanned as "delivered". In both cases the recipient received the item on-time.

Originally Posted by JJE-187
Now I will be refunding this person there DVDs later this week, but how long should someone genrally wait for something mailed "Package Services" to arrive? I have used the 3 week rule for quite a while now, and wanted to know if that's too long or too short.
When dealing with insured packages, you have to wait 21 days from the postmark date before filing a claim for a total loss. Based on my past experience, I generally think the shipper should wait 30-45 days from the postmark date before replacing a "lost" item. Recently, I've just had a Priority Mail letter take up to 2 1/2 weeks to get to its destination.
Old 02-21-05, 12:27 AM

You can only print priority labels with "Click-And-Ship", right?
For priority mail, yes. Labels for Media Mail and other shipping options can be printed if you download the USPS Shipping Assistant program. A little more complicated to use than Click and Ship but Delivery Confirmation is cheaper (I don't think it is free, unless that has changed recently) on non-priority packages.