DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Exchange (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-exchange-6/)
-   -   Traders Dialogue Thread II (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-exchange/231814-traders-dialogue-thread-ii.html)

Bill Geiger 08-23-02 10:00 PM

Traders Dialogue Thread II

I figured I would start a new thread given that the first one is getting kind of long.

Anyway, gonna head out to Best Buy tomorrow for some DVD purchases. I think I will pick up:

Pulp Fiction
Van Wilder: Unrated
Gattaca Superbit
Patriot Superbit
Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion
...and probably a few more.

It has gotten so hard to find these titles for trade that I am going to have to bust a buck and break down and buy them.

Oh yes, an update! This is in regards to the Candian traders discussion that took place last week on the first thread.

As of right now, I have three trades going with Canadians. Two of them on on the Home Theater Forum. Another is right here on DVDTalk. I am still awaiting that disc... he got his a couple days ago... go figure. I am not worried... will probably show up tomorrow. The guy has a good rep and is an up and coming Gold trader, but who isn't?

So, I have not ruled out trading with Canadians. However, I have ruled out trading with some of those pesky USA traders. I have really had it with some of them. I won't go into too much detail here right now... but it has come to a point where if a trade differs from about 5 bucks and you are gonna complain about it.. and the disc I am trading is a new release and yours are 3-5 years old and you are holding onto them for that great trade that isn't going to come, then just keep them.

I do wanna give some props to some traders here that I have dealt with that i would trade in a heartbeat with again because there were easy to deal with and had good quailty disc(s).

Bigskillet
AnonymousBob
CodeFree
JoshUnt
BreezyPete
...and the list goes on and on.

I would have to say that there are only about 3 or 4 people who I won't deal with just because of past experience and present experience... or just for the fact of the way they present themselves.

On a final note... unlike on the last thread.. I would like to try and keep the usage of DVDTalk members names out of your discussions if you are mad or want to vent about something. It is really best to keep it quiet.. just so things can run smoothly and without a big blow up.

Also, big ups to Tuesday Afternoon (Sunday Morning) for starting the first thread. If it wasn't for you...well... someone else would have done it sooner or later. LOL.

movieking 08-23-02 10:07 PM

I think that I am going to ebay some of my for trade DVDs to buy the newer stuff I want, because it is too hard to get from a trade.

I am a member of HTF as well, but I have not have very good experiences there. It is not that I got ripped off, it is just that the people never follow up with their offers! I will propose a trade, and it will go ignored. Someone will offer me a trade on my thread, and I will email them or post back, and they won't respond. This has happened on a number of different occassions. Strange, since there are so many overlapping members.

I think that we can drop the whole Canadian trader thing. It is not like there is a group of Canucks that decided to screw US traders or anything. There are bad traders in all locations, but for some reason, Canada seems to be the one that sticks out. I have a feeling that most of the animosity toward Canadian traders is probably because of the longer time it takes in order to get anything from here to the US. I try to let all traders know that I am in Canada, so things might take a little longer than they are used to....

movieking 08-23-02 10:10 PM

Is there mail in the US on Saturdays? There isn't in Canada, which probably adds to the trade length as well, since it could take a day longer on our side.

Bill Geiger 08-23-02 10:18 PM

That movie in Superbit is FANTASTIC!!! I love my copy.

movieking 08-23-02 10:22 PM

There is an advantage to being in Canada sometimes though. Check out the deals on mainlymusic.com for DVDs. Prices are in Canadian Dollars, and there is free shipping. I also have a 15% discount, as well as a coupon for $3 off. Unfortunately for non Canadian members, it is only good in Canada. Superbits are there for $19.99 to $22.99 Canadian, and with all the discounts, sometimes I can get them delivered for under $15 Canadian, which is great. Prices fluctuate madly though, can literally double overnight.

Bill Geiger 08-23-02 10:22 PM

Originally posted by dlew308
US mail Mon-Sat

I'm nearly ready to retire from board esp after a trade & $ deal went bad.
Let's just say forum guidelines weren't followed by the other party.
I'm leaving all my hope up to Mao to resolve :)

Sorry to hear about that! Seems to me, even though I haven't been here all that long, even though it feels like I have been, that the "bad trades" seem to happen in three's. It is a real shame when someone feels the need to F someone over for a DVD.

It is also a shame when one of us goes by the honor system, and the other just poops all over it... it makes "you" feel like the honor system ain't worth going by anymore and just to stop trading altogether.

Mao is real good about this stuff... he will do his best.

Bill Geiger 08-25-02 01:12 AM

Woohoo! I had a busy day at Best Buy today!

Couldn't find, two movies. The first being Dead man On Campus and the second, Striptease. What I did get was:

Gattaca Superbit
Patroit Superbit
Disturbing Behavior
Van Wilder w/Weekend at Bernies
Hellraiser
The Exorcist
Boiler Room
Pulp Fiction
Loaded Weapon 1 (couldn't pass it up for 6 bucks!)
Return To Me (Girlfriend's flick..not mine!)

I think I had atleast 16 DVDS in my basket.. but unforunately had to put them back: Desperado Superbit, Some Kind Of Wonderful as well as others.

I passed on We Were Soldiers....14.99 was a fantastic price... but wasn't in the mood for it. Same I guess goes for the Thin Red Line DTS disc I put back.

Update: No disc yet from the Canadian trader.. he got his 3 days ago. No panic yet..lol

codefree 08-25-02 02:13 AM

Alright Bill, you finally got Gattaca: Superbit! :up:

Bill Geiger 08-25-02 10:15 AM

When I saw you post in here, I truly expected you to say something like , 25 shipped? LOL.

Bill Geiger 08-26-02 10:42 PM

Okay, the time has come. If I get banned for a week or two, so be it. This will be worth it! I received an email from a friend... and since my name was included... I just had to post this. I can't believe people trade with this person, given that he spreads the same BS to everyone.... even me. I got a similar email about 2 months ago... and he here comes again, asking for a trade.

Without further ado... here is ********* (email for who this person is), making an donkey out of himself:

"YOU HAVE GOT TO BE INSANE....Beautiful Mind is not old or common...it just came out recently...you are spilling so much crap here you must have gotten yourself dirty...and I have not listed any MSRP prices, if I had, there would be an even greater
discrepancy in prices...it is ridiculous, self-righteous RIP-OFF traders like you who have destroyed any integrity to this site....I WILL buy RD in the morning for $16 (and they are giving away free gift cards with them too!)....the deal we already did
(with the 3 sealed movies for Brazil CC) was a rip-off too....I went along with it cause I needed Brazil for a friend...but you got $60 STORE RETAIL in sealed movies for a used set that goes for $46 new....you are a con, you screw people and you think it is absolutely fine to do it just cause there are stupid people out
there who are too ignorant to see what you are doing to them....you tried to screw me when I wanted the Die Hard set too...wanting upwards of $80 in stuff for a $49 set.....and if you had said you wanted BOTH of mine for Dogs right up front, it would have been over nice and easy...but you didn't and no one in their right mind would assume that ridiculous offer is what
you meant....hey, why don't I trade you a $5 bill for a $20 bill of yours...pretty stupid, huh...how would you like it....and I have never quoted a price for one of your discs or sets that was lower than it really is (all my quotes could be verified)...but go ahead, play the the victim so you can feel fine about robbing other people....but, it is nothing unusual....you are in the same boat with a lot of other traders on this site (like sunday morning, bill geiger, tazmanian...)....they all con people too, so at least you have some company....i don't know how far things have to go into the toilet before Mao will put a stop to it, but it obviously isn't stopping yet......i'll save you the trouble of typing another email full or deluded crap, i'm blocking you now....had enough headache from you already."

Hey ***, how many times you gonna offer me A Beautiful Mind for Men In Black? I am going on atleast six times! I really wish someone would have done this sooner... because you are the biggest fraud known to all traders.

Live and learn, trade with *********, and in return, here is the same envelope you sent your DVD in.... cheap son of a gun!

As far as Sunday Morning and Taz... nothing bad to say... but you my man... Insider Sealed (11 Bucks) and some other crap you pettle for two sealed films worth more than your life? Yeah, that is fair. The crap you shovel to other traders... it is amazing that people still trade with you.

Plain and simple, you are the worst trader on this website. I would feel more confident trading with any banned member then trading with you again!

As far as me being a fraud... how so? I traded with you ONCE! That was back when I came to the forum. I guess you didn't block my email long enough to send me multiple offers. Don't you understand that when someone doesn't reply to you, that means we don't like you. Or when we say no, that means no and not to offer again? You must be mental!

(Names have been withheld just for the sake of keeping my promise about leaving names out)

AnonomusBob15 08-26-02 10:44 PM

I think people are starting to miss the point. MSRP is a factor I use when coming to a conclusion of a deal. But first off, it is the quality of the movie and the set. Brazil is a quality set that should take at least three dvds to get ahold of.

For example, I just traded a MINT AS CAN BE In the Bedroom for a copy of Sex, Lies, and Videotape. The msrp is way off. But I chose the better movie. Lately i've been traded 4-5 titles just to get one of my wants.

What I am trying to say is, we aren't running a business, this is friendly, man to man trading, and I think several of us have lost that.

It's just not as fun as it used to be.

Bill Geiger 08-26-02 10:47 PM

Matt,

I agree 100%! BTW-- don't trade 3 or 4 for Bowfinger..lol... it is funny..but not that funny!

AnonomusBob15 08-26-02 10:52 PM

Hey now, comon, Brazil Criterion, and my three James Bond Volume Box Sets for a used copy of Bowfinger and it has to have the scratch in the upc!

flabio 08-26-02 11:30 PM

Hey Bill, didn't I trade you Bowfinger? You better get a lot more for it than what AnonomusBob15 is offering. :D

BTW, Ace Ventura rules (I believe that was the trade).

SideShow 08-26-02 11:56 PM

Hey, has anybody offered up a title to trade before they actually recieved it? I'm in the middle of a trade (in which I had to send first) and already the title is up for trade when the other guy hasn't even recieved it yet, and it goes without saying I haven't received my end yet. I was always under the impression you should wait until a trade is completed before trading the said title, just to make sure everything went as planned. So is this common practice and I'm just gullible, or what? :)

rkndkn 08-27-02 03:06 AM

Just to be on the safe side, I'd always wait for both sides to confirm receipt before considering the trade "done".

And in any case. . .how can you list a title for trade you don't yet have in your possession? It could get damaged in transit, or not be in the stated condition.

In my case, I trade for titles which I've seen and want for my collection, or titles I'm interested in viewing. So I wouldn't know right away in the latter case anyway if it's a title I'd want to keep or will later trade.

movieking 08-27-02 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
Okay, the time has come. If I get banned for a week or two, so be it. This will be worth it! I received an email from a friend... and since my name was included... I just had to post this. I can't believe people trade with this person, given that he spreads the same BS to everyone.... even me. I got a similar email about 2 months ago... and he here comes again, asking for a trade.

Unfortunately, there are a few traders around here that wouldn't surprise me if they wrote this letter. But there are one or two in particular that I suspect it being...people that I will never, ever trade with, because the amount of torture that comes with having to listen to their whining and harrassment is not worth the value of whatever the DVDs involved in the deal are worth...which of course is less than you give them, because for them to get one cent lower in MSRP would cause their heads to explode and their brains to leak out...

classicman2 08-27-02 08:36 AM

Those that berate those traders who use MSRP as the principal guide for in-print DVDs are probably the same ones that offer $30 Criterions for $40 Criterions in trade. ;)

movieking 08-27-02 09:06 AM

In Canada, the prices of Criterions are unreal. I have seen Armageddon going for $99 new as a Criterion in more than one DVD store. The Rock CC typically goes for $70 new, as does Seven Samurai. Online with DVDBoxOffice the prices are a lot more reasonable, but if you check out B&M stores, the prices are ridiculous.

Mazinger 08-27-02 09:34 AM

What's the deal with people who think their dvds are worth more because it's only been watched once?

:whofart:

I recently had an offer. My dvd cost almost 2 times as much as what this person was offering. This person's reason for it being an even trade was:

"This disc has only been played once."

I just don't get this.

movieking 08-27-02 10:13 AM

I agree. And besides, how do you know if it really was only watched once? If they got it from a trade, they might have only watched it once. The person before them might have watched it a ton of times, or maybe they even lent it out.

I really hate it when people value their sealed DVDs so much more than open ones.

panayoti 08-27-02 10:21 AM

whew? where do we start? oh yeah...

Bill Geiger: nothing against u, friend, but u stated in your earlier post that u don't like to trash people, the bad traders, but u meanwhile posted a list of traders u liked. Seems to me to be the same thing. I'm not dissing u, but I would LOVE to post a hate list and a good list of traders I've dealt with. Alright, alright, u got me, why wasn't I on your fave list, hmmmm? lol!
BTW, is Gattaca that good? I'd love to get it, especially in Superbit if it's that awesome.
Kingdome02, Fifth Element Superbit is the bomb, guy! whew! the sound and picture were awesome!
For the guys in the US, Best Buy has not gotten to us yet but will be in the near future. Are they cheap, dvd and electronics-wise? They've bought out an electronics dealer called Future Shop here in Canada, but keeping the name active while opening up Best Buys here. Friendly competition, I guess.
Thank God we dropped the Canadians issue, it was getting kinda tedious I thought. Not because I'm Canadian, of course. :).
Seeing as u asked about my fave traders list, here it is:

1) Scott Clapp - I just finished numerous trades with him and he has been 5 star with all aspects of the trades. And he makes a hell of a Strudel.

2) erik (dvd-o-rama) - great trader and put up with all my posts in his thread. Hell of a polka dancer, too!

3) Cap't Dallas - who made laugh quite a bit but seems to have been but seems to be more busy with family lately. Hell of a dartplayer, too, I'll tell u!

and others that I'll eventually remember.
I'm done.

Mr. Foo 08-27-02 11:13 AM

panayoti - thanks for the props bud - I appreciate that and the same definately goes for you and for all other canucks and yanks I have had the pleasure to deal with. It's all good.

I have had pleasurable trading experiences with over 60 different traders since I started trading here a couple of months ago - with only a few exceptions, like the one Bill transcribed above. That one looks all too familiar to me.....

As for MSRP-based trading, IMHO I really only think it holds true for Criterions and Criterion alone. Relative market value (like via Ebay, half.com or other) seems more appropriate to me because it takes into account demand and availability.

This is especially true for OOP and rare titles. Just my $0.02.

-Scott

Mr. Foo 08-27-02 11:21 AM

Originally posted by SideShow
Hey, has anybody offered up a title to trade before they actually recieved it? I'm in the middle of a trade (in which I had to send first) and already the title is up for trade when the other guy hasn't even recieved it yet, and it goes without saying I haven't received my end yet. I was always under the impression you should wait until a trade is completed before trading the said title, just to make sure everything went as planned. So is this common practice and I'm just gullible, or what? :)
Well, I got burned recently in a similar situation that I don't think I will try again.

I purchased Sleepaway Camp: Survival Kit the day it came out week before last.

The same day, a trader (newbie who hasn't traded here yet) agreed to trade me his Sleepaway Camp: Survival Kit, so I put my purchased one up for trade and completed a wonderful trade with another trader. This other guy then writes back, after I gave him my address as he was shipping first, that he found a better offer for one of the titles I was offering and tried to milk me for more!!! Totally unethical!!!

So, if anyone has a Sleepaway Camp:SK that they would like to trade, I am all ears.....

classicman2 08-27-02 11:31 AM

Ebay is a seller's forum. DVD Talk Exchange, although people do sell, is primarily a trader's forum.

Other than O/P titles, I don't think what DVDs sell for on Ebay means very much when we're talking about "trading" on this forum.

I'll be brutally frank - I don't a damn what The Godfather Collection sells for on Ebay if I'm trying to trade it on the DVD Talk Exchange Forum. ;)