Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Columbia House Enrollment: What 5 movies to buy?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about enrolling in Columbis House's membership. I already am enrolled in the TV on DVD and have completed my membership. I was thinking about getting the 5 DVDs program but I don't want to get a movie if it will later be on Blu-Ray? Is there a list to find out which one of the movies they offer that will not be on blu-ray or is there just a similar program with columbia house that offers 5 blu-ray movies for a cheap price?

I don't want to purchase any movies that will or have already been released on blu-ray

Thanks
Paul
Old 06-10-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is hard to know which movies will be released on Blu-ray Disc. In general, however, older movies and more obscure titles are less likely to make it to BD anytime soon. Relatively recent, mainstream, stuff is the most likely to be released on BD. Movies from the '40s, '50s, '60s, and '70s are unlikely to make it to BD unless they are very high profile, such as Casablanca (already on BD), North by Northwest, Lawrence of Arabia, The Wizard of Oz, or The Sound of Music. But it is unlikely that Father Goose, The Americanization of Emily, or even The Philadelphia Story will ever make it to Blu-ray Disc.

Also, most TV related titles aren't likely to be on BD in the next few years, save for certain high profile sci-fi things like Star Trek: TOS, Battlestar Galactica and the two Stargate series and spinoff movies. But more obscure titles, such as the Jesse Stone movies for example, are less likely to make it to BD.

What to buy depends on what you like, and you are the only person to make that judgment.

At the present time there is no good Blu-ray Disc only club. Columbia House does have one BD enrollment offer, but it isn't a good deal. There are many of us here who hope that CH will eventually offer a BD club at decent prices with a good enrollment selection.
Old 06-10-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: Columbia House Enrollment: What 5 movies to buy?

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000
II was thinking about getting the 5 DVDs program...
5???... don't you mean 7???... using a 7/2 code from the codes thread???