Reload this Page >

Columbia House Sale Offer Codes, Part V

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Columbia House Sale Offer Codes, Part V

Old 02-24-10, 08:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Columbia House Sale Offer Codes, Part V

do we know of any current (non expired) free/discounted shipping codes? Trying to use the BOGO code. It's worked so far. Making me pay $15 for Forest Gump Special Edition and $15 for Little Miss Sunshine while getting both Collateral and Patch Adams for no cost. Yet....$9 for shipping, your joking me right?

Edit: I just added these four movies to my shopping cart on Amazon.com and the four totaled $31. Eight bucks cheaper than CH and thats without the use of promo codes obviously. A bit of a joke. Although I suppose when you factor in the 3 movies for $6 you get at the start it comes out to an average of $6.25 a movie roughly (7 movies) which is kind of worth it.

Last edited by josbor11; 02-24-10 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by hotchickinHD
of course they make a profit even with (our) manipulation of codes, it costs about 25 cents to duplicate a CD...LOL

=o|

You seem to be confusing costs at the manufacturing level with those at the distribution level. I'm sure that they turn a profit on us, but a fraction of what they get off J6P.
Old 02-25-10, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josbor11
do we know of any current (non expired) free/discounted shipping codes? Trying to use the BOGO code. It's worked so far. Making me pay $15 for Forest Gump Special Edition and $15 for Little Miss Sunshine while getting both Collateral and Patch Adams for no cost. Yet....$9 for shipping, your joking me right?

Edit: I just added these four movies to my shopping cart on Amazon.com and the four totaled $31. Eight bucks cheaper than CH and thats without the use of promo codes obviously. A bit of a joke. Although I suppose when you factor in the 3 movies for $6 you get at the start it comes out to an average of $6.25 a movie roughly (7 movies) which is kind of worth it.
The key is to wait for BOGO and free shipping. There isn't any right now, but for standard DVD's this will surely happen again. For BD's, I'm not so sure. They haven't done it in a loooong time now.
Old 02-25-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I can't believe they still haven't started a Blu-ray Club yet. Yes, I know there was a thread on this, but apparently they were still doing a "study" to gauge interest. Please, spare me.

Somehow, CH manages to survive year-in-year-out. I remember them from the LP days! As others have said, they make their $ off J6P, and the relative ignorance that comes with that demo.
Old 02-25-10, 04:51 PM
Cool New Member

If you get four movies, paying for two and getting the other two for free (while paying shipping on all four), does this count as two or four movies towards your obligation purchases? Or in other words if I did this, would I be done with them, or would I have to purchase one more film?

@kenbenobi...thats what I figured. My problem is that i'm trying to avoid buying DVD's to fulfill my obligation. The three for $3 is sweet but i'm trying to go strictly blu ray for my obligations (3 for $60) but I don't want to ring that out just yet in case another 20% off or free shipping comes along that you can stack with it. I saw there was a 20% that stacked with the 3 for 60 deal last week but its now expired.
Old 02-25-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by josbor11
If you get four movies, paying for two and getting the other two for free (while paying shipping on all four), does this count as two or four movies towards your obligation purchases? Or in other words if I did this, would I be done with them, or would I have to purchase one more film?
This would count as 2 towards your obligation as long as each one that you paid for is at least $19.95(shipping has nothing to do with fulfilling your obligation).
Old 02-25-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BOGO-the usual, no free shipping, no free Blu-rays

2010022548HSPT1T

Good through February 28
Old 02-25-10, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James

2010022548HSPT1T

Good through February 28
I just came to post that. You beat me by 2 minutes!
Old 02-25-10, 05:36 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James

2010022548HSPT1T

Good through February 28
I just tried it using the 3 Blu Rays for $60 deal and it worked. Didn't give me 3 free DVD's, just the one lol. But thats because the code mentioned above isn't a standard BOGO code. It gives you one free DVD and then every DVD after that is 60% off which is nice until you get hit by the shipping (as usual). So when I did the three Blu Rays for $60 I got a free DVD with it as well as 60% off every DVD I added after that. I found a few good ones that came down to $3 -$4. Only problem is the shipping for each item With 6 items in my cart, shipping came out to over $12 which is crazy considering it takes them a decade to actually get your movies to you.

Last edited by josbor11; 02-25-10 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 05:57 PM

I'm interested in box sets. Right now they are 40% off, but subject to shipping charges. Does CH ever have free shipping offers on box sets, like the old CH.com?

I notice that after this week there will no longer be a toll-free 800 phone number, or that's what they say while on telephone hold.
Old 02-25-10, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by haroldS
I'm interested in box sets. Right now they are 40% off, but subject to shipping charges. Does CH ever have free shipping offers on box sets, like the old CH.com?

I notice that after this week there will no longer be a toll-free 800 phone number, or that's what they say while on telephone hold.
Not yet. Their recent 20% code worked on box sets as long as you had a regular DVD in the cart as well. They still charged shipping but with budget titles the total cost would be less than just the box set + shipping. Hopefully we'll see more of those.
Old 02-25-10, 07:48 PM

Yeah, it will be a regular number instead of toll-free. I posted a thread here about it around the start of February when they switched the phone system. The number is located in Hanover, PA ... where their warehouse is.
Old 02-25-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
The key is to wait for BOGO and free shipping. There isn't any right now, but for standard DVD's this will surely happen again. For BD's, I'm not so sure. They haven't done it in a loooong time now.

Or one that stacks. Last week the b1g1 stacked for me and with the 40% off no purchase necc. I got 2 dvd for $18 shipped and they said I fulfilled my obligation.
Old 02-26-10, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by wkkunkle
Yeah, it will be a regular number instead of toll-free. I posted a thread here about it around the start of February when they switched the phone system. The number is located in Hanover, PA ... where their warehouse is.
Looks like CH has re-structured their entre operation.. not sad about that in the least. So, now, no more foreign language, outsourced employees answering calls from a far away land whom havent the slightest idea of what youre saying and obviously cant help you. Lovely.

Better times are indeed ahead.
Old 02-26-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by IJMSPORT

Without better enrollment offers and the end of missing apps there will be no times ahead, better or otherwise.
Old 02-26-10, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by IJMSPORT
Looks like CH has re-structured their entre operation.. not sad about that in the least. So, now, no more foreign language, outsourced employees answering calls from a far away land whom havent the slightest idea of what youre saying and obviously cant help you. Lovely.

maybe worst times ahead,I would be shocked if there was still a dvd club in 2 to 3 years!
Old 02-26-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

CH does (or did) free shipping on box sets once, sometimes twice, a year. I'm thinking March or April last year was the last time this was done. Occasionally they've offered a select group of box sets at $19.99 w/shipping included. It's typically a very short list of titles with this offer, but a few are deals and they count for fulfillment.

It's not suprising that they're discontinuing toll free support with the proliferation of cell phones with "free" national LD calling. Why pay for a toll free line when your customers can do it "free" themselves? Of course, you have those neanderthals (like me) who refuse to own a cell phone and will now get to pay for crappy phone support if needed...
Old 02-26-10, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
CH does (or did) free shipping on box sets once, sometimes twice, a year. I'm thinking March or April last year was the last time this was done. Occasionally they've offered a select group of box sets at $19.99 w/shipping included. It's typically a very short list of titles with this offer, but a few are deals and they count for fulfillment.
I could be wrong, but I think they had free shipping on box sets around Christmas as well.

Last edited by twa2; 02-27-10 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-26-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yep... I checked a few back invoices and it looks like they did this in early December... at least I've a couple of box set orders during that time frame on which there were no shipping charges.
Old 02-26-10, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by skidmark
You seem to be confusing costs at the manufacturing level with those at the distribution level. I'm sure that they turn a profit on us, but a fraction of what they get off J6P.
I'm not confusing it, I was just making a point. If duplicating a CD costs 25 cents to manufacture that still translates to huge profit for the distributor, vs. $25 to duplicate.
Old 02-26-10, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I can't believe they still haven't started a Blu-ray Club yet. Yes, I know there was a thread on this, but apparently they were still doing a "study" to gauge interest. Please, spare me.

Somehow, CH manages to survive year-in-year-out. I remember them from the LP days! As others have said, they make their $ off J6P, and the relative ignorance that comes with that demo.
The blu-ray club was started in Canada a long time ago. They don't need to start one in the U.S. as long as large numbers of people keep joining and buying DVDs from the regular club.
Old 02-26-10, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hotchickinHD
They don't need to start one in the U.S. as long as large numbers of people keep joining and buying DVDs from the regular club.
That makes no sense at all...
Many people who used to be regular customers of CH over the years have now moved on to BD and no longer have any interest in purchasing any DVDs....the overall sales for DVDs are shrinking, while the BD market is growing.....plus the prices of BDs have really begun to fall off compared to where they were just a couple years ago....let's not even mention how DVDs have become so dirt cheap from regular retailers that CH doesn't even offer the best deals on a lot of titles anymore....
It would be in Columbia House's best interest to strike while the iron is hot, as they are really missing out on new revenue opportunities....
Old 02-27-10, 07:26 AM
Banned

I bought quite a few BD from CH before Christmas during the 3 for $60/BOGO unlimited w/ FSH.

Six titles (3 blu, 3 reg.) came to around $66, or $11 each.

This new offer with 3 for $60/BOGO + 60% off + SH came to around $100, or $16.66 each.

(Maybe the 666 should tell me something about the "new" CH).

Guess it's wait & see. At this point, I can do better with sales on other sites for almost everything. I have some Funcash...er, Bonus Points...that I suppose I can cash in toward a cheap(er) set or a blu-ray. Other than that, can't see buying anything right now.
Old 02-27-10, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WMAangel
That makes no sense at all...
Many people who used to be regular customers of CH over the years have now moved on to BD and no longer have any interest in purchasing any DVDs....the overall sales for DVDs are shrinking, while the BD market is growing.....plus the prices of BDs have really begun to fall off compared to where they were just a couple years ago....let's not even mention how DVDs have become so dirt cheap from regular retailers that CH doesn't even offer the best deals on a lot of titles anymore....
It would be in Columbia House's best interest to strike while the iron is hot, as they are really missing out on new revenue opportunities....
The *best* recent numbers indicate BR at only 17% of total sales and that sales actually declined by a far larger margin than DVD in late January (43.5% vs. 11.2%). Even then, adoption rates are *far* below that of DVD for the same time frame following intruduction. That's not to say that BR is failing, but it's not doing as well as many would like to think.

Unless you have actual numbers from CH sales to indicate "regular customers of CH over the years have now moved on to BD and no longer have any interest in purchasing any DVDs" I don't see their sales numbers being much different than B&M. If BR sales at CH warrant, they'll offer a BR club. The parent company offers book club memberships in many differing genres and as such I feel they would not hesitate to offer a BR club if numbers warrant.
Old 02-27-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Yeah, BD is a premium product in a bad economy. When you see two boxes, one significantly more expensive than the other for the same movie, I'm not surprised people go for the cheaper one these days. When the economy fully recovers/starts growing, I think those numbers will swing the other way. But that's not to say they will become majority...I think there are too many other factors against that for some time to come yet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.