Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

End of the year is approaching -- funcash suggestions?

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

End of the year is approaching -- funcash suggestions?

Old 12-30-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had $149 to spend so I got all these for a total of $16.92 + $149 FC:
Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection: Volume 1 (2 Disc)
Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection: Volume 2 (2 Disc)
Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection: Volume 3 (2 Disc)
Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection: Volume 1 (2 Disc)
Glory Special Edition (2 Disc)
The Garbage Pail Kids Movie
Death Race Unrated
The House Bunny

Wasn't really anything else I wanted except the last 2 so a friend is getting the others off of me for $80 .
Old 12-31-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Useful to have friends like that!

I had $14 so I just picked up one $12.95 title: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Mostly because I haven't seen it before and for $2.99, it is about the same price as a Netflix rental (I'm on the 2 for $5 + tax a month plan).
Old 12-31-08, 11:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Thanks for the reminders all. Had $58 in two different accounts and have used a few of your ideas.
Old 12-31-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had exactly $40 in FC, so I went for the newly released Hellbound:Hellraiser II Anniversary Edition and Misery-Collector's Edition. I figure that neither one of these will hit Blu-ray anytime soon.
Old 12-31-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, I got $8 in FC. Any suggestions for a $7.95 title worth picking up? Also (might not be right thread, sorry) I couldn't see any way of listing just $7.95 DVDs on the CH site or list all DVDs by price. I only saw A-Z, clearance and just reduced.
Old 12-31-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have placed a bunch of recent orders that have been shipped (Blu-Rays) and it seems that CH hasn't credited me any Funcash for any of them. I've had 8 orders or so go through and paid for as well as shipped but no fun cash. I know it isn't that BIG of a deal but am I not entitled to fun cash with blu-ray orders?
Old 12-31-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You get funcash for blus that you pay for. That's how I have gotten almost all my funcash...
Old 12-31-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by sotra View Post
So, I got $8 in FC. Any suggestions for a $7.95 title worth picking up? Also (might not be right thread, sorry) I couldn't see any way of listing just $7.95 DVDs on the CH site or list all DVDs by price. I only saw A-Z, clearance and just reduced.
Click on the features section in left menu. At the bottom right, there is a link for "DVDs as low as $7.95", click that, yer golden
For my $7.95 titles, lately I've picked up:
Dead End
Malice
Gorky Park
Old 12-31-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by awil1026 View Post
You get funcash for blus that you pay for. That's how I have gotten almost all my funcash...
Then they have held out on Fun cash for at least the last 6 or 7 cleared orders I have placed.
Old 12-31-08, 09:17 PM
Cool New Member

I grabbed these 3.
Lifeforce
Babylon 5: The Lost Tales
Vertigo
Old 12-31-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sotra View Post
Tic Tock, Tic Tock... Hurry only about 8 minutes left (assuming CST accounting).

I picked up "Viva Maria!", a $7.95 title. There are also several Woody Allen titles in that price range. Another interesting one in that range is " Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia".
Old 01-01-09, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by lizard View Post
^Useful to have friends like that!

I had $14 so I just picked up one $12.95 title: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Mostly because I haven't seen it before and for $2.99, it is about the same price as a Netflix rental (I'm on the 2 for $5 + tax a month plan).
I'm sort of stunned and amazed that you haven't seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off. How is that possible?
Old 01-01-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by inksketcher View Post
I'm sort of stunned and amazed that you haven't seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off. How is that possible?
Just never got around to it. Probably not my cup of tea anyway, but I'm aware that it was pretty popular at the theater and on DVD, so it has been on my list to watch someday. For $2.99, now seems like a good time.

But there have been movies popular at DVD Talk that I didn't much care for. Old School is an example; utterly boring and pointless. I now studiously avoid anything with Will Ferrell in it. Then, again, the same sort of folks who liked Old School also raved about Eurotrip. I blind bought that one and thought it was a hoot. So, I never know.

As long as I stay away from genres I totally despise, such as horror and "splatter movies" (anything with gratuitous, graphic, violence, think Tarantino, Scorcese and that ilk) it is worth taking a chance sometimes.

I would guess that some of my favorites would be either unknown or disliked by you and others here!
Old 01-01-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had $4 left over in Funcash and it's still in my account today.
Old 01-01-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
I had $4 left over in Funcash and it's still in my account today.
I still have $1 left in mine. Wonder if it will disappear or carry over in 2009.
Old 01-01-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...I now studiously avoid anything with Will Ferrell in it...
...and I thought I was the only on the planet that did this! I did a blind buy of "Elf" based on reviews and word-of-mouth. Hated it. After watching the first 30 minutes of "Anchorman" (my son rented it) I decided anything he's in is off the menu... permanently.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 01-01-09 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-01-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oddly enough, I ordered Semi-Pro with the last of my funcash because I tend to like Will Ferrell movies, but couldn't bring myself to pay more for that one with the terrible, terrible reviews it received.
Old 01-01-09, 09:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
...and I thought I was the only on the planet that did this! I did a blind buy of "Elf" based on reviews and word-of-mouth. Hated it. After watching the first 30 minutes of "Anchorman" (my son rented it) I decided anything he's in is off the menu... permanently.
Funny. I almost agree, and hate most everything I've seen Will Ferrell in. A couple I find tolerable, like Old School.

But Elf is just fantastic, and Ferrell is hilarious in it.
Old 01-01-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Try Stranger Than Fiction. It's unlike his other stuff.

And Dick (although he just has a small part), I think one of the funniest movies in years.
Old 01-02-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great minds think alike? I have a local friend who also dislikes Will Farrell, so there are a few of us out there.

One must exercise some caution when blind-buying based on recommendations here. I've come across some gems that I never would have discovered on my own, for example: Babylon 5 and Farscape. But, as I mentioned in the HD forum, I blind bought Battlestar Galactica: S1 on HD DVD and was underwhelmed, to put it mildly. Yet it seems to be wildly popular here at DVD talk. So, it can be a crapshoot.
Old 01-02-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, it can be a crapshoot.
No doubt. I got burned by Wanted and Daredevil DC. (in fact, it seems like "the director's cut makes it fantastic" argument comes out for a lot of DC's..."You hated it? Maybe you should try the DC that adds 10 more minutes of the same crap you hated!")
Old 01-02-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I bought Daredevil [Blu-ray] from the Amazon $100 off 10 sale. But I sold it at a decent markup so I still haven't seen it. It has received mixed reviews and I may Netflix it just to see for myself why some like it and others hate it.
Old 01-02-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^I bought Daredevil [Blu-ray] from the Amazon $100 off 10 sale. But I sold it at a decent markup so I still haven't seen it. It has received mixed reviews and I may Netflix it just to see for myself why some like it and others hate it.
I shouldn't say I hate it, just that the DC didn't make me like it any more than I previously did (merely a time-killer).
Old 01-02-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Try Stranger Than Fiction. It's unlike his other stuff.

And Dick (although he just has a small part), I think one of the funniest movies in years.
In all fairness to "Elf", I went into it with a dislike for Will Farrell and his schtick along with a "you gotta prove you're really funny" attitude, assuming I would not like it. I had seen smatterings of his work and disliked it immensely. I always got the impression that he was working at trying to be funny. You know the type... thinks they're hilarious but everyone just rolls their eyes in disgust/amazement. Oddly enough, the remake of "The Producers", while overall detestable, actually benefited from the very atypical (IMHO) performance of Farrell. However, I still avoid anything with his name in the credits.

I got "Elf" very cheap (less than a rental) and thought with Bob Newhart involved it might be enjoyable enough. While he (Bob) was his typical deadpan self, it just wasn't enough to save the film for me. This review pretty much mirrors my feelings about "Elf". Oddly enough, Roger Ebert (whose reviews I tend to trust more than others) liked the film. His review tipped the scales for the purchase.

Don't get me wrong. I like a well done Christmas film, but the vast majority made in the past 30 or so years seem to be trying to become the next big classic instead of just making a good, funny, heartwarming film. For me, "Elf" is in that class. It tried, hard, but failed.

Like other films I own and disliked upon initial viewing I *may* eventually watch "Elf" again to see if my opinion changes. After all, I disliked "Batman Begins" when I first saw the film. After a 2nd viewing (over a year later) I found it wasn't as bad as I had originally thought, though I still have issues with some parts.
Old 01-02-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great minds think alike? I have a local friend who also dislikes Will Farrell, so there are a few of us out there.

One must exercise some caution when blind-buying based on recommendations here. I've come across some gems that I never would have discovered on my own, for example: Babylon 5 and Farscape. But, as I mentioned in the HD forum, I blind bought Battlestar Galactica: S1 on HD DVD and was underwhelmed, to put it mildly. Yet it seems to be wildly popular here at DVD talk. So, it can be a crapshoot.
So true. I highly recommend all three programs you mentioned, three very different types of sci-fi outings, but then I had seen them on TV *before* I purchased. Due to the expense of season sets for those programs and typical sci-fi on TV quality I would probably have never purchased any of those as a blind buy.

I *did* purchase Firefly as a blind buy based strictly on word-of-mouth and reviews (I only knew one person who had seen it) but the price was under $20 and I knew someone who would have purchased it from me had I not liked it. However, I do like it and regret it never had more episodes. Very fun program! On the other hand, Heroes has *great* word-of-mouth and reviews. I almost did a blind buy but was able to borrow a copy first. I didn't make it past 10 episodes before I found myself fast-forwarding through major portions to get to interesting parts of the storyline. I never finished watching the first season. Saved myself some $$$.

No offense to anyone here but I totally disregard opinions of *most* review type postings in forums until I've gotten a very good idea of what someone truly likes/dislikes. Let's face it. We *all* have some very weird/odd tastes when it comes right down to it.

For me, a blind buy typically has recommendations from people I know and a select cadre of professional reviewers coupled with my own general tastes in films and genres. I use allmovie.com, dvdtalk reviews, and the "reviews" of products at amazon as part of this process. I've rarely been let down, but then I rarely blind buy.