DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

NEW CH Blu-ray Club? (seriously, read this)

Old 06-29-08, 12:01 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,236
NEW CH Blu-ray Club? (seriously, read this)

Ok, so I'm on AVS yesterday like I always am, and in the BR deals thread someone asks something about Columbia House and how yesterday he got this email about an offer from CH. I will quote him here ->...

although not completely off topic, has anyone used columbia house. i just received their usual "buy X amount of BR's at $X.XX and only purchase 3 more in the next two years" promo in the mail. anyone else use this? i know columbia's previous use of auto shipments. do they still do these? i have'nt used them since the early days of dvd's. just wondering because at $5/BR, it is a pretty good deal for me. TIA

Now I got really excited at first, but then realized that there was some kind of offer like this in Canada. So I posted to ask if he was in CAN, but he never responded back. ...BUT, then another poster responded with->...

I got the same offer today in the mail from Columbia House. I used to be a member of the dvd club years ago. Three Blu-rays from a limited assortment for a total of $20.97 shipped and you have to buy either 3 full priced Blu-rays or dvds in the next two years. This seems to be a new promotion as you never need to buy a dvd if you don't want. So the Blu-ray membership era seems to have begun.
I begged and pleaded for some kind of screenshots or even better a link of somekind, even a forward of the email to MY email, BUT to my dismay, neither poster ever responded back... yet.

Has anyone else here gotten such an offer. It's got me quite psyched actually, so I had to post something here. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this is a new Blu-ray club from CH.
Looking forward to all your feedback and input.
Thanks
SMART-ASS is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 12:27 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,429
Saw this posted by "iluvblu" in the forums at highdefdigest.com:

Originally Posted by iluvblu
I just got a CH snail mail offer 3 blus for $4.99 each + s/h (4th for $19.99)
buy 3 (2 if you use the 4th now option) more at reg prices in 2 years
no auto shipments
no card to return
purchase when convenenient

The selections are the usual titles we see here + a few others I have'nt seen before such as Talledaga Nights, Moster House etc


but the fact that they have started
well
You know what this means
and later, when people asked more questions:

Originally Posted by iluvblu
There is no link on the offer
nothing by Google either
but here is the contact info
1-888-242-3837
offer code BLW
there is another code = Preferred Status Number = 438*******
I dont know if this code is unique so I didn't post it
I want in on this...
Dane Marvin is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 12:30 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,236
Sweet! Thanks Dane
No links? I really want to see this offer and the selections available.
SMART-ASS is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 12:32 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,236
Doh, I posted before you edited. So no links.

I feel like a giddy schoolboy ready to open my presents on Christmas.
SMART-ASS is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 12:34 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,429
He posted the enrollment selections from his snail mailer:

Originally Posted by iluvblu
Here is the list excuse the typos I hate typing
I am Legend
310 Yuma
300
Mike Clayton
Saw 4
H potter-phoenix
Golden Compass
August Rush
Spider-M 3
Brave 1
No reservations
Assasin of Jesse James
Invasion
30 days
Rush hour 3
ocean 13
surf up
happy feet
Resident evil 3
we own the nite
war
rescue Dawn
Home of the brave
Superbad
Shoot em up
blood diamond
5th element
hellboy
stargate
premonition
crank
underworld-evolution
Superman returns
total recall
vacancy
flyboys
letters from iwo jima
descent
ghost rider
pursuit of happyness
into the blue
house of daggers
blazing saddles
departed spec ed
click
covenant
fountain
kunfu hustle
T2
we are marshall
Rocky Balboa
open season
talledga nights
polar expressmr brooks
UV
monster house
TMNT
patriot
troy -dc
march of penguins
stranger than fiction
XMAS story
n'tl lampoon xmas vacation
casino royale
hairspray
pan's labby
black hawk dawn
Unfortunately I have nearly everything there that I would want, but I'd probably still go for it...

Last edited by Dane Marvin; 06-29-08 at 12:36 PM.
Dane Marvin is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 12:35 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,236
Sweet! Thanks.
I tried BLW at columbiahouse.com... no go .
SMART-ASS is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 12:51 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
Originally Posted by iluvblu
There is no link on the offer
nothing by Google either
but here is the contact info
1-888-242-3837
offer code BLW
there is another code = Preferred Status Number = 438*******
I dont know if this code is unique so I didn't post it

I called that number, gave the code, and it did indeed work. I didn't go through with the order, but I can confirm it's 100% for real. They told me that this is something that they literally just started in the past few days, and they're testing the waters to see how much interest there would be in it.

All of the information in this thread is correct.

So, who here is going to place the first order using the code?

I hope this opens the door to allowing B1G1 codes and that sort of thing to be used for Blu-rays without having to have a DVD in the equation. Maybe when you sign up using the code your account will work like that?
Brent L is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 12:59 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,236
Damn it, I HATE talking to CSRs on the phone. I will sign up in a NY minute on the net. If I could do the "email offer" without calling in, I would do it right now.
SMART-ASS is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 01:04 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,236
Just posted by mlkmgr on AVS. He was the first one I quoted in my first post. ->

looks like this offer is going old school. no email or internet sign up. there is a spot to sign up the required email address for the Director's Selections offer to be emailed or have it arrive in the mail. the offer is:

4 BR's from the list given for $4.99 with option for 5th at $19.99. you then have to purchase 3 BR's OR DVD's in the next 2 years.

not sure how or why i got this offer, but i am definitely signing up. there is an 888 number to call and claim. not sure if the "personal savings code and preferred status number" are the same on all, but if someone PM's me, we can compare numbers and see if this can work for all.
I think I may just call in then.
Any suggestions why or why not I should buy the $20 4th selection?
SMART-ASS is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 01:20 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,429
Originally Posted by SMART-ASS
Any suggestions why or why not I should buy the $20 4th selection?
Personally, I would have trouble finding a 4th disc I would even want from the list that I do not already have. Most of the titles on the list have been able to be had for LESS than $20 during sales at places like Amazon, Best Buy, Target and Wal-Mart (sometimes far less). You could argue that waiting to buy your first commitment could turn out to be a better deal for you (both in terms of cost and selection) if you wait for a possible B1G1 or B2G1 sale to come along.

From the person who actually called in, does all of this go onto an existing account or is it a new Blu-ray club sort of like the TV Club?
Dane Marvin is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 01:25 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,236
See the second quote in the first post of the thread. That guy said he hasn't had an account for years, but he got the BluMail.
That's right, I just made that up... BluMail. Pretty cool huh?
I'm gonna call here soon.
SMART-ASS is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 01:25 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
They told me that it's just the normal DVD club, and not a brand new Blu-ray club. Like I said, they mentioned that they are testing the waters, so maybe this could lead to a Blu-ray only club in the future.

If you sign up for this offer, you are technically signing up for the normal DVD club.
Brent L is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 01:28 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 339
I wonder what the criteria is for getting this offer? I recently closed a DVD account that I ordered a bunch of blu-rays on. I guess I'll have to pay attention to the "Please come back!" mailers for a while instead of dumping them straight in the recycle.
meglet is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 01:29 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,429
Okay, but let's say I have two normal DVD club accounts already (because in actuality, I do), would they not let me do this offer because this is classified under the standard DVD club and not under a new Blu-ray Club?
Dane Marvin is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 01:31 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
I would close one of the two open DVD club accounts before trying to sign up for this offer just to be on the safe side.
Brent L is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 02:08 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 755
lets get into the math....

assumptions:
you need to buy the 19.99$ one or it's 4 for the commitment
the average price for a blu-ray is $25 (new releases are near 30 and catalog 20)
free shipping codes work / free shipping on enrollment

4 BRD @ 4.99 each = 19.95
1 BRD @ 19.99
3 BRD @ ~$25 each = 75

$14.37 per BRD... thats honestly not good enough to cycle accounts for me

*************************************************************
assumptions:
you DONT need to buy the 19.99$ one and it's still 3 for the commitment
the average price for a blu-ray is $25 (new releases are near 30 and catalog 20)
free shipping codes work / free shipping on enrollment

4 BRD @ 4.99 each = 19.95
3 BRD @ ~$25 each = 75

$13.57 per BRD... thats honestly not good enough to cycle accounts for me

*************************************************************
assumptions:
Perfect Storm Scenario (you may have to float the account for awhile to get)
you DONT need to buy the 19.99$ one and it's still 3 for the commitment
the average price for a blu-ray is $25 (new releases are near 30 and catalog 20)
free shipping codes work / free shipping on enrollment
B1G1F works on BRD and Stacks w/Free Shipping

4 BRD @ 4.99 each = 19.95
3 BRD @ ~$25 each = 75
3 BRD Free

$9.50 per BRD... getting better - but still debatable as to whether it would be worth cycling... especially if a deal like i mentioned comes once a year...


we have a long way to go people... but the real question now is... do you bite the bullet and the ~$15 per price point to show that there is a need to create a club?
JoN8282 is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 04:19 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: coast to coast
Posts: 696
so columbia house has finally joined the 21st century. bravo!
bloopbleep is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 05:24 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,429
Originally Posted by JoN8282
lets get into the math....

assumptions:
you need to buy the 19.99$ one or it's 4 for the commitment
the average price for a blu-ray is $25 (new releases are near 30 and catalog 20)
free shipping codes work / free shipping on enrollment

4 BRD @ 4.99 each = 19.95
1 BRD @ 19.99
3 BRD @ ~$25 each = 75

$14.37 per BRD... thats honestly not good enough to cycle accounts for me

*************************************************************
assumptions:
you DONT need to buy the 19.99$ one and it's still 3 for the commitment
the average price for a blu-ray is $25 (new releases are near 30 and catalog 20)
free shipping codes work / free shipping on enrollment

4 BRD @ 4.99 each = 19.95
3 BRD @ ~$25 each = 75

$13.57 per BRD... thats honestly not good enough to cycle accounts for me

*************************************************************
assumptions:
Perfect Storm Scenario (you may have to float the account for awhile to get)
you DONT need to buy the 19.99$ one and it's still 3 for the commitment
the average price for a blu-ray is $25 (new releases are near 30 and catalog 20)
free shipping codes work / free shipping on enrollment
B1G1F works on BRD and Stacks w/Free Shipping

4 BRD @ 4.99 each = 19.95
3 BRD @ ~$25 each = 75
3 BRD Free

$9.50 per BRD... getting better - but still debatable as to whether it would be worth cycling... especially if a deal like i mentioned comes once a year...


we have a long way to go people... but the real question now is... do you bite the bullet and the ~$15 per price point to show that there is a need to create a club?
Cool stuff but I honestly wouldn't even consider cycling Blu-ray accounts at CH. I was just going to do it once (and maybe again way later). The reason for this is they just don't have the selection to make it worth it. If you figure the BD selection is already small and further figure that only a portion of them are going to be available as enrollment selections, cycling is not going to be feasible (unless you are just starting your Blu-ray collection TODAY) for quite some time. I own or have on order a total of 70 Blu-ray discs and there are only about 10 more titles already released that I can even see myself paying for.
Dane Marvin is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 07:16 PM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 124
I received an offer in the mail: 8 DVD's for 49 cents ea or 3 Blu-Ray's for 4.99 each plus shipping and processing. I can buy a fourth Blu at $19.95 plus s&p. I would have to still have to buy 3 more Blu's or DVD's at regular club prices in the next 2 years whether I bought the 4th Blu or not. Personal saving code BMQ.
Kechulater is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 07:48 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
^Throw in shipping charges and the so-so deal gets worse by a lot. It is nice that Columbia House seems to be experimenting with Blu-ray enrollment offers though.
lizard is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 08:45 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 755
Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Cool stuff but I honestly wouldn't even consider cycling Blu-ray accounts at CH. I was just going to do it once (and maybe again way later). The reason for this is they just don't have the selection to make it worth it. If you figure the BD selection is already small and further figure that only a portion of them are going to be available as enrollment selections, cycling is not going to be feasible (unless you are just starting your Blu-ray collection TODAY) for quite some time. I own or have on order a total of 70 Blu-ray discs and there are only about 10 more titles already released that I can even see myself paying for.
im in the same boat... however I have to assume that the selection will steadily grow... and typically here we only discuss things that benefit cycling...

i'd also point out that if you were interested in standard discs as well... this program seems to allow blu for enrollment and regular for fulfillment... which would bring your average price and total price both down.
JoN8282 is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 08:46 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,813
Originally Posted by Kechulater
I received an offer in the mail: 8 DVD's for 49 cents ea or 3 Blu-Ray's for 4.99 each plus shipping and processing. I can buy a fourth Blu at $19.95 plus s&p. I would have to still have to buy 3 more Blu's or DVD's at regular club prices in the next 2 years whether I bought the 4th Blu or not. Personal saving code BMQ.
Any web site info/address yet?
thejester is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 09:47 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 485
The next question is do Blu-rays become available on the same timeline as regular DVDs? If so I can definitely find 4 I want that would potentially be available for enrollment in the next 3 months. Which begs the question, do we now start a "Blu-Rays that are Available for Enrollment" Thread?
Copper Blue is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 10:06 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,236
Originally Posted by thejester
Any web site info/address yet?
As far as we can tell so far, the offers are coming in email and snail-mail. The snail-mail app can be mailed in (I think) and or both can be called in at 1-888-242-3837. No web enrollment yet that we know of.
SMART-ASS is offline  
Old 06-29-08, 10:10 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,236
Originally Posted by JoN8282
im in the same boat... however I have to assume that the selection will steadily grow... and typically here we only discuss things that benefit cycling...

i'd also point out that if you were interested in standard discs as well... this program seems to allow blu for enrollment and regular for fulfillment... which would bring your average price and total price both down.
Well, the wrench in that works is that the BR enrollment cost is $5 each movie PLUS s/h. Not $.49 each movie w/free s/h like signing up with SD.
SMART-ASS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.