Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

NEW CH Blu-ray Club? (seriously, read this)

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

NEW CH Blu-ray Club? (seriously, read this)

Old 12-30-08, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few weeks back I had called to try and place an order for the blu ray deal and they couldn't process my order because of "computer problems". So, I gave them my work address and they were going to send out a copy of the blu ray deal. A few days ago I got the letter from them and it was for your normal dvd club enrollment - nothing regarding blu ray included.
Old 12-31-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dimmg
This is awesome but is CH worth the trouble?
That depends on what you mean. If you know how to handle CH, the ins and outs, how to use codes and sales to your advantage, ect... then yes, I think it is worth it. I've bought like 50 Blu-rays from CH that average probably about $12-$13 per movie. If I were to buy those movies from places like Amazon, even when there is a good sale going, we're talking $17-$18 per movie. Then there are places like Best Buy where the average would be more like $23-$25 per movie.
So on the economical side of things, CH is totally worth it for me, but may be too much for others. That's something for you to decide for yourself.
Old 12-31-08, 11:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by SMART-ASS
Then there are places like Best Buy where the average would be more like $23-$25 per movie.
Just to give "the other side" a bit....As you say if one knows how to work CH you can find good deals, one can also "work" Best Buy or Amazon for even better deals.

I own about 50 blu-rays, all known release stuff. Most have been bought at Best Buy in store for less than $10 each. Maybe a dozen from Amazon for the same.

I've bought a few blu-rays from CH during B1G1FS deals, but I've learned that I can do better at retail.
Old 12-31-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trevor, I am not referring to the small pool of $10 Blu-ray titles that are always on a rotating sale some where.
Titles like T2, Stargate, Rambo 1,2,3, The Punisher, ect..., ect...
The higher priced titles that I am referring to more, are the FOX titles that retail for $40 and newer releases that normally sell for $20+.
There is absolutely no way that you have been able to purchase nearly 50 BRs from Best Buy for $10 after tax.
Maybe if you buy a bunch of over priced stuff and build up a ton of points on thier card thingy, then find some coupon and make 20 illegal copies of it or something like that. Otherwise, it's just not possible.

IE: I just recently bought Sweeney Todd and Wanted during the last BR BOGO sale at CH. They averaged less the $15 each including tax and s/h. You can not even come close to that price at any retailer or etailer.
Old 12-31-08, 11:56 PM

^ Oops. Sorry. I forgot that you're the only one that knows how to maximize savings.

I'm not talking about anything illegal or the cheapo blu-ray titles.

I just use the easy steps that we've preached here for years. Coupons, price matching, etc.

My list of 50 blu-rays for less that $10 each includes all the Bond steelbooks, 6 or so Disneys, Dark City, LA Confidential, all the Dead movies, etc.
Old 01-01-09, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You win... not worth my time to continue.
CH is crap and Best Buy has the best prices on the planet with Disney and Steelbook Blu-rays for $10.
If that is really the case, I hope you enjoy an early retirement, because you should be making a killing off the resales.
You ARE the man! Congratulations and good luck.
Old 01-01-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see that we're off to a harmonious and joyous New Year!
Old 01-01-09, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by SMART-ASS
You win... not worth my time to continue.
CH is crap and Best Buy has the best prices on the planet with Disney and Steelbook Blu-rays for $10.
If that is really the case, I hope you enjoy an early retirement, because you should be making a killing off the resales.
You ARE the man! Congratulations and good luck.
Wow. Not sure how I warranted that response.

I never said anything negative about CH. I love CH and have bought almost 2000 DVDs and Blu-rays from them.

I also never said anything remotely close to "Best Buy has the best prices on the planet".

I simply pointed out that good deals can pretty easily be found there. In the bargain forum here on DVDtalk you'll find lots of examples of people finding good deals at places other than CH.

Not sure what prompted the "resales and retirement" line. I don't sell DVDs, but just buy the titles I'd like to own.

You made a blanket statement that retail prices are twice those of CH, and I was simply pointing out that isn't so if you look.

I own pretty much every Blu-ray I want to own, almost 80 now, I pretty much always shop for the best price, and CH has never been the cheapest. I've bought from them to fulfill commitments, but I could have done better if I was patient.

Maybe you're not comfortable doing price matches, waiting for bargains, or hunting down coupons as much as I am, and that's fine. CH is a quick and easy place to average $12-15 for almost every Blu-ray released. My way takes slightly more patience and work. (Not much for me since I'm so used to this whole process, but for others it would add time to the buying process.)

I'm not at all saying that CH or you're wanting to avoid BB is bad. I'm simply pointing out to others that Blu-rays can be found very cheaply at retail places. And isn't that the whole point of us being here? To help each other save money?
Old 01-02-09, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Trevor, you certainly didn't warrant that. Weird response. I wish CH would make it a bit easier to sign up for the BR club.
Old 01-02-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Wow. Not sure how I warranted that response.

I never said anything negative about CH. I love CH and have bought almost 2000 DVDs and Blu-rays from them.

I also never said anything remotely close to "Best Buy has the best prices on the planet".

I simply pointed out that good deals can pretty easily be found there. In the bargain forum here on DVDtalk you'll find lots of examples of people finding good deals at places other than CH.

Not sure what prompted the "resales and retirement" line. I don't sell DVDs, but just buy the titles I'd like to own.

You made a blanket statement that retail prices are twice those of CH, and I was simply pointing out that isn't so if you look.

I own pretty much every Blu-ray I want to own, almost 80 now, I pretty much always shop for the best price, and CH has never been the cheapest. I've bought from them to fulfill commitments, but I could have done better if I was patient.

Maybe you're not comfortable doing price matches, waiting for bargains, or hunting down coupons as much as I am, and that's fine. CH is a quick and easy place to average $12-15 for almost every Blu-ray released. My way takes slightly more patience and work. (Not much for me since I'm so used to this whole process, but for others it would add time to the buying process.)

I'm not at all saying that CH or you're wanting to avoid BB is bad. I'm simply pointing out to others that Blu-rays can be found very cheaply at retail places. And isn't that the whole point of us being here? To help each other save money?
Trevor, man, I like to maximize savings as much as the next guy so I'm dying to know how you got those premium titles at Best Buy for $10 a piece. Could you walk me through three of your best purchases at Best Buy because I am definitely doing something wrong, brother Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here but I am genuinely interested in these methods.
Old 01-02-09, 09:12 PM

^ Nothing that hasn't already been mentioned in the thread. BB and other places have had various B1G1F deals; BB pricematches, so you can get any deals at any other retail stores, with the standard extra 10%; BB has had at least two different $10 off blu-ray coupons; Amazon had a deal where you got 10 blu-rays for as low as $45 recently.

I'm not doing anything special or different, just following the advice I read here on the forum.

Specific details on most of the Best Buy $10 or less deals were with their $10 off any blu-ray coupon. Every week they have several blu-rays on sale for from $10-20, combine $10 coupon and I got a couple blu-rays for free. Others were one of their B1G1F sales.

Again, nothing special that isn't fully detailed in various threads here on DVDtalk as the deals appear.
Old 01-02-09, 11:49 PM

^ Nothing that hasn't already been mentioned in the thread. BB and other places have had various B1G1F deals; BB pricematches, so you can get any deals at any other retail stores, with the standard extra 10%; BB has had at least two different $10 off blu-ray coupons; Amazon had a deal where you got 10 blu-rays for as low as $45 recently.

Specific details on most of the Best Buy $10 or less deals were with their $10 off any blu-ray coupon. Every week they have several blu-rays on sale for from $10-20, combine $10 coupon and I got a couple blu-rays for free. Others were one of their B1G1F sales.

Again, nothing special that isn't fully detailed in various threads here on DVDtalk as the deals appear.
Ah, the $10 off coupon, I thought I missed something. But that's a YMMV deal, I never saw those coupons at my BB, and when I've done pricematching they never gave me the extra 10%. Nice job on getting those deals, but they're not available to everyone.
Old 01-03-09, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by toldawg128
Ah, the $10 off coupon, I thought I missed something. But that's a YMMV deal, I never saw those coupons at my BB, and when I've done pricematching they never gave me the extra 10%. Nice job on getting those deals, but they're not available to everyone.
True, everything at any store is YMMV. But those coupons and pricematching only account for some of our blu-ray deals. Most of my $10 or less blu-rays involved nothing special other than waiting for B1G1F deals, or that sweet amazon deal of 10 for as low as $45.

Also, not to start "another" "argument", but some of these things are only YMMV if you let them be so. The extra 10% off, for example, is only applied if you buy the item at full price from the cashier and then go to customer service and do the price match after purchase. It is automatic then, built into their registers when done that way. And if they do it manually the wrong way, without the extra 10%, you can just point to the big letters on the wall stating the extra 10%. If you are polite and firm, and do it the proper way, you will get the extra 10%. And the coupons were probably not as YMMV as most people think. At every BB I checked, my initial response in asking for these coupons was that they didn't have them. But this is standard store employee practice. The associate wasn't trained on them or hadn't seen them personally, and just assumed they didn't exist. However, in every case, I ended up getting one. I was always very polite, but just explained them well, or looked on the counter myself. The promotion was in their computers, so in the one case where they didn't find the actual coupon, they just printed that promo page and I got $10 off. I would almost guarantee that your store had the coupons, but the person you asked wasn't willing to take the time to find them.

But again, only some deals at places other than CH involve these possibly YMMV things, and if you're patient and read the bargain threads, you can average under $12 per blu-ray.
Old 01-03-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not doing anything special or different, just following the advice I read here on the forum.

Thanks for the response because I had no idea a $10 off BB coupon was available!!! I must have seriously missed that thread. Is that still active?!

I have definitely done well at Amazon myself through their old price guarantee. I got some BD's for free or LESS after buying them under B1G1 and then do a price adjustment due to a recent price drop after the B1G1 sale. That too was YMMV but it seemed like most people got it if they asked. I think my average price during that sale was around $3-4!!! I missed out on the buy 10 deal because I owned them all already
Old 01-03-09, 10:57 AM

I am sorry but I do not recall BB having any B1G1 free Blu deal or any decent Blu-rays for $10. I got the coupon book for buy 2 Blu and get $10 off from their blu-ray player sale. I will appreciate if you could tell us more about this free movies you are getting from BB. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-03-09, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by sumdeus
Thanks for the response because I had no idea a $10 off BB coupon was available!!! I must have seriously missed that thread. Is that still active?!

I have definitely done well at Amazon myself through their old price guarantee. I got some BD's for free or LESS after buying them under B1G1 and then do a price adjustment due to a recent price drop after the B1G1 sale. That too was YMMV but it seemed like most people got it if they asked. I think my average price during that sale was around $3-4!!! I missed out on the buy 10 deal because I owned them all already
No current coupons as far as I know. There were two different $10 ones back in October or so.
Old 02-14-09, 06:50 PM

Re: NEW CH Blu-ray Club? (seriously, read this)

So has anyone enrolled in the blu-ray clu recently? Have they improved their list of enrollment titles?
Old 02-14-09, 06:55 PM

its better to join through the tv dvd club.then you can get a $30-50 tv box set.instead of a blu club offering bd's you can get for $10-13
Old 03-16-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone posted this on Slickdeals (although it got a bunch of thumbs down, probably from people who dont understand how to work the club), but this is a much better BD enrollment deal, albeit it for CH Canada (hopefully coming to the States eventually?):

CH Canada BD site
Slickdeals thread

It's true. Choose 5 Blu-rays for just $5, with $0.99 special shipping and handling per single selection! After that, all you need to do is buy 4 more movies (Blu-ray or DVD) at regular Club prices in the next year... and that's it! How long you remain a member is entirely up to you, as you're free to cancel your membership at any time after buying your 4 selections. Regular Club prices currently start as low as $19.95, plus regular shipping and handling and applicable sales taxes.

There's no risk, your introductory package is sent on a 10-day trial basis and includes complete details of membership. If you are not completely satisfied, you may return the package at our expense and we'll cancel your membership and refund your money.

Pretty good, right?

It gets even better....Act now and you can take 1 more Blu-ray for just $19.95, with $0.99 special shipping and handling -- and you need only buy 3 more movies, instead of 4 in the next year. Plus as a special bonus, you can make a great deal even better by taking a 7th Blu-ray right now for only $14.95 with $0.99 special shipping and handling.
This is definitely going in the right direction, although it probably requires a B1G1 sale to be truly great (If you could get $19.95 BDs on a B1G1, youd average $7.90 each). Hopefully this comes to the US soon.

Last edited by ENDContra; 03-16-09 at 01:58 PM. Reason: link
Old 03-16-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting... I hope this does come to the US!
Old 05-13-09, 04:56 PM

Am I right to assume CHCanada doesn't ship to the U.S.?
Old 05-13-09, 05:11 PM

Sorry, found my own answer (fyi, its a no).
Old 06-15-09, 04:22 PM

anyone have any updates..? anyone have any really good blu-ray buying strategies for ch?

So far the best I can come up with is TV Edition membership fulfilled with B1G1F... seems like a better deal then regular club unless you still are looking for SD discs... which I am not.
Old 06-18-09, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Out of the country and as such out of the CH business for the time being, but would be totally interested in this if it happened. It would finally be the Bluray tipping point for me.
Old 06-18-09, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by JoN8282
anyone have any updates..? anyone have any really good blu-ray buying strategies for ch?

So far the best I can come up with is TV Edition membership fulfilled with B1G1F... seems like a better deal then regular club unless you still are looking for SD discs... which I am not.
That was the best I could come up with also. Now I keep my fulfilled TV account open and use it when there is a Blu-ray B1G1F + FS opportunity. If I see 2 SD TV sets that become available for enrollment that I want, I will try to open a 2nd TV account using the HDL code.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.