DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Clubs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs-13/)
-   -   CH revealing more than they intended (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/533268-ch-revealing-more-than-they-intended.html)

Gobear 06-09-08 01:55 PM

CH revealing more than they intended

Like others here, I found that Columbia House had re-activated some of my old accounts. When I looked for the cancellation page under HELP, I found this text that CH clearly did not intend its customers to see. I have C?P'd it verbatim:

Membership/Account Information: Canceling Your MembershipReturn to Help Index >IC
After you've fulfilled the purchase commitment you agreed to at enrollment, you can cancel your membership at any time. Our records indicate that you have not yet fulfilled your purchase commitment of X DVDs. You currently have X DVDs to purchase at regular Club price by xx/xx/xxxx. (This may not reflect recent orders or orders that have not shipped.)

OC
(OC members will be A/B split into two groups - one group will be directed to the new SAM tool online and the other half will be directed to call customer service to cancel their membership)

(Members seeing SAM Online)

Now that you have fulfilled your purchase commitment, you can cancel your membership at any time. If you would like to cancel, click here.

(Members directed to call customer service)

Now that you have fulfilled your purchase commitment, you can cancel your membership at any time. Please contact Customer Service online via Contact Us form.

What do IC and OC stand for? Why would they not give customers both options for cancelling accounts?

Dexter Douglas 06-09-08 02:07 PM

And this is why I check this forum regularly. Both of my old accounts have been re-opened after I called and had them cancelled. No wonder I can't open a new account! Thanks for the info, Gobear! Now to call them and ask why they've been opened again.

I got the same screen for cancelling as well.

Nickofdoom 06-09-08 03:56 PM

They've reopened my old accounts too...this is getting to be rediculous.

Dexter Douglas 06-09-08 04:55 PM

I gave CH a call. The answer was "Well...it shouldn't show as opened." Yeah, I figured that part out. Why can I add dvd's to my cart then? Should I hit checkout? "No, not unless you want to make an order" But...how can I make an order on a canceled account?

Essentially, the lady I talked to said she'd report both of my closed accounts and to allow 48 hours for it to be taken care of. She thought it was a glitch with the switch over. I told her that I was concerned that I'd be billed for director's selections, since I don't pay attention to those accounts any more. Again, "Oh, that shouldn't happen, sir." Well, I shouldn't be able to buy dvd's either, but apparently I can.

Obviously, I was very nice to the lady and I do believe that she's done all she can do. I'll keep an eye out and see if anything changes on my accounts.

Sandyk67 06-09-08 05:14 PM

I also have discovered two accounts that were open that I had canceled, I still have the email they sent me confirming the cancellations of both accounts. I emailed each one from the new website and asked to cancel them, so I hope that will be that.

riotinmyskull 06-09-08 05:44 PM

well i have 16 accounts open apparently....better not receive 16 copies of 'jumper' in the next couple of weeks.

Liquid Death 06-09-08 06:24 PM

yeah, i've had multiple accounts over the last decade...i have no idea what all email addresses i've used....sigh...at least some of them have to be associated with now expired credit cards...

JoN8282 06-09-08 09:31 PM

oh man... time to break out the old "psn" numbers and figure out what is active and what isnt...

fun times - thanks ch.

dadaluholla 06-09-08 10:18 PM

I've got 3 open that had been closed. Bleh.

Jenx56 06-23-08 07:47 PM

Have any of these re-opened accounts caused problems for anybody, such as an unsolicited Director's Selection being sent?

Has anybody placed an order from a re-opened account?

Dexter Douglas 06-24-08 09:12 AM

I've been keeping an eye on both of my re-opened accounts and Director's Selections haven't been popping up at all. I was able to add dvd's to my cart, but I haven't actually tried placing an order yet.

Living Dead 06-27-08 02:21 PM

I've had multiple accounts as well. I have no idea what the old numbers were though and no idea how to lookl to see if they've reopened.