DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

5 day contest. Win an order up to $200

Old 05-18-08, 11:20 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,454
5 day contest. Win an order up to $200

CH just started a contest where you can win your order for free up to $200. Or, if your entry was not from placing an order you will win $200. Each order counts as an entry once per day.

Worth a shot since many of us log in daily. Maybe someone here will win one.
movieguru is offline  
Old 05-19-08, 07:40 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brooklyn, USA
Posts: 545
Sweet! I put a shortcut on my desktop to remind me to enter daily. Thanks, movieguru.
CalebAndCo is offline  
Old 05-19-08, 08:18 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 17,189
From the official rules page:

Limit of one entry per person per day regardless of method of entry. Multiple participants are not permitted to share the same email address. Any attempt by any participant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void that participant's entries and that participant may be disqualified.

Not real clear as to whether it's once per account as well. I only entered on 1 of my accounts (you have to go into the official rules and look for the 'click here' to enter link).

Seems kind of backwards that if if you place a $50 order and win you end up with $50 back and if you don't place an order, you get $200.
Cardsfan111 is offline  
Old 05-19-08, 10:10 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,429
Does this mean you actually have to make an order with the intent of paying if you don't win? Or can you just submit your acct info somewhere for a random drawing without ordering anything?
Dane Marvin is offline  
Old 05-19-08, 10:50 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Does this mean you actually have to make an order with the intent of paying if you don't win? Or can you just submit your acct info somewhere for a random drawing without ordering anything?
By law, a contest must offer a free entry method, otherwise it is gambling. Columbia House hides it as well as they can but it is possible to enter without placing an order.

To do this, click on the banner on the CH website. Then click on a hidden link under "official rules". Then click on a hidden link under the "How to Enter" paragraph called "click here".

Perhaps they look different in IE or other browsers, but in Firefox those links are almost invisible unless you place the cursor over them.
lizard is offline  
Old 05-19-08, 11:01 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,178
i dare them to give me $200. triple dog dare them.
riotinmyskull is offline  
Old 05-19-08, 11:26 AM
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 989
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i dare them to give me $200. triple dog dare them.
you're on double secret probation, smart guy!
An4h0ny is offline  
Old 05-19-08, 11:47 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,429
Originally Posted by lizard
By law, a contest must offer a free entry method, otherwise it is gambling. Columbia House hides it as well as they can but it is possible to enter without placing an order.

To do this, click on the banner on the CH website. Then click on a hidden link under "official rules". Then click on a hidden link under the "How to Enter" paragraph called "click here".

Perhaps they look different in IE or other browsers, but in Firefox those links are almost invisible unless you place the cursor over them.
You da man, lizard!
Dane Marvin is offline  
Old 05-19-08, 03:09 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,915
What is not clearly stated is what happens if you place an order after doing a manual entry. The implication is that you could be disqualified by attempting to "obtain more than the stated number of entries" or simply get only the order value if you *do* win. As this only runs through Friday it makes me not want to place *any* order until the 24th and only do the manual entry bit. Which is a bit of a pain because, in addition to attempting to "hide" the manual entry link, they make you enter your name, email, and account number manually! YOU'RE ALREADY LOGGED IN! They could automatically pull it from your account information! Sheesh!
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 05-19-08, 08:12 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,651
Thanks, Lizard. That is very hidden, indeed. I had to stare at that paragraph for a full minute before I saw it...
kenbenobi is offline  
Old 05-20-08, 12:18 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
What is not clearly stated is what happens if you place an order after doing a manual entry. The implication is that you could be disqualified by attempting to "obtain more than the stated number of entries" or simply get only the order value if you *do* win. As this only runs through Friday it makes me not want to place *any* order until the 24th and only do the manual entry bit. Which is a bit of a pain because, in addition to attempting to "hide" the manual entry link, they make you enter your name, email, and account number manually! YOU'RE ALREADY LOGGED IN! They could automatically pull it from your account information! Sheesh!
Sweepstakes usually try to make it hard to enter without buying anything and also try to take advantage of the fact that many people think that buying something will help their chances of winning. It is a well-established sales stimulus.

As for the business about placing an order or not and how much you will win, come on! The chances of winning anything must be tens or hundreds of thousands to one. On the order of 0.0001 to 0.000001, I would guess. That's pretty close to zero in my book.

Enter if you like but don't worry about it.
lizard is offline  
Old 05-20-08, 12:31 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 17,189
I guess in that same effort to make it difficult to enter, I just logged into the site and saw nothing of this promotion on any banner/screen. I had to go pull up the e-mail and click thru that link in order to enter today.
Cardsfan111 is offline  
Old 05-20-08, 12:45 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 97
What email? Anybody have a link?
Watson2 is offline  
Old 05-20-08, 09:41 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,454
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I guess in that same effort to make it difficult to enter, I just logged into the site and saw nothing of this promotion on any banner/screen. I had to go pull up the e-mail and click thru that link in order to enter today.
There's a link where you go to your sho[pping cart. The first day it was on the front page when you sign in.
movieguru is offline  
Old 05-21-08, 07:45 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brooklyn, USA
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by Watson2
What email? Anybody have a link?
Try this: http://www.columbiahouse.com/sa/190/...Id=442&&auto=1
CalebAndCo is offline  
Old 05-22-08, 03:18 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,651
Originally Posted by CalebAndCo
Thanks for this. The banner is gone, and I see nothing on my shopping cart screen either...
kenbenobi is offline  
Old 05-22-08, 12:13 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,915
^Probably because they don't really want you to enter unless you order. Obfuscation is the name of the game...
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 05-22-08, 03:08 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 17,189
It's funny - because of their efforts to hide this contest (at least using a non-purchase entry method), I'm more determined to make sure I get my daily entry in. My odds have to be better, right?
Cardsfan111 is offline  
Old 06-17-08, 01:59 PM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 107
Did someone win this or was it all BS?
inksketcher is offline  
Old 06-17-08, 02:12 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,236
With regard to CH's insanely unethical law breaking business practices, I'd have a straight poker face if I learned of it being totally fake just to ring up more business.
In other words, I wouldn't be surprised.
SMART-ASS is offline  
Old 06-20-08, 12:18 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
I'd guess it was legit. There is probably a contact address in the T&C that one could use to find out who won. But odds were against anyone here winning.
lizard is offline  
Old 07-17-08, 07:59 PM
  #22  
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,112
I actually won a sony digital camera from the ch dvd club about 5 years ago in a previous contest. They really give out the prizes.
g is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.