Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

The DDD 20% off sale makes me laugh

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-07, 11:54 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DDD 20% off sale makes me laugh

So many people go nuts over that sale. It's all about the best deals. I just wish people would realize all the great deals at Columbia House. With the B1G1 free and free shipping codes I've cleaned up on new realeases and with some of the glitches it's been woderful. I just don't get how everyone runs around screaming about the great deals at DDD when Columbia House blows them away. I guess the best deals are with TV sets and box sets. That is one thing Columbia House lacks. It's just fun to sit back and see all the posts of the "Great Deals" people are getting and knowing I've got most of those titles for way cheaper.
Old 11-09-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i always laugh when i see people paying $15+ (even after the 20% off) for titles that i paid $0.49 for.

i only use the 20% off sales for titles that i can't get from CH.
Old 11-09-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No doubt, CH is much, much better for lots of mainstream releases (all year long, too). But the DDD/DVD Planet sales are good for filling in stuff in your collection that CH doesn't carry (Criterions, most Fox, Disney/Miramax, most boutique label releases).

I usually hold off buying anything at DDD/DVD Planet that I think will show up at CH, and load up on the other stuff during the 20% sales.
Old 11-09-07, 12:02 PM

Me too, like Route 66, they do have that DVD set cheaper than amazon.com.
Old 11-09-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In fairness, the selection at Columbia House is pretty limited. Certainly mainstream titles from Warner, MGM, Sony, etc. are pretty well covered... but there's a lot more out there.

You'll certainly see a few of those titles on people's DD purchase lists, but the vast majority are more obscure and/or not carried by CH. I may have paid more than 50 cents for Moscow Elegy, but it wasn't like I had any other choice.
Old 11-09-07, 12:03 PM
Banned

i definitely agree but i did spend $400 at DD yesterday...I probably would have spent a lot more if not for columbia house. I got over 25 titles but I think just about all of them are not available at CH. (Twin Peaks: Gold Box, Dragon Dynasty titles, Masters of Horror Box Set, Caligula, Entourage 3.5, Seinfeld, etc) And i got these for great prices. So overall I would say that the 20% sale can certainly have great worth depending on what you are wanting to purchase.
Old 11-09-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, no kidding. I haven't ordered anything during the 20%off sale over the past few years. Ever since I decided I would limit my cost per title at $5 ($10 max if necessary on something rare/limited), DD isn't a viable option anymore. The quite frequent B1G1 or B2G1 sales at DD and Planet are much better than the 20%off sales, even if only on selected titles.
I used to buy stuff there that I couldn't get at CH, but I don't even do that anymore. Just a little patience, and a better deal almost always comes along somewhere. Plus, if I need to, I can always add something to my xmas wish list.
Old 11-09-07, 12:24 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't laugh too hard. CH doesn't carry the titles I pick up at DD. Of course, I don't pick up many during the 20% sales -- they have much better deals during the year.
Old 11-09-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
I don't spend much more than $5 on DVD these days, even for non-CH titles or for sets. I can't understand someone paying full price for some new movie that's going to get dumped in the bargain bin in 3 to 6 months. OTOH, I'm a fan of Kurosawa and Mizoguchi, so if I want to buy Drunken Angel or Sansho the Bailiff, I'm stuck waiting for deals on Criterions.

There are also some titles that CH ought to carry, but doesn't, like O Lucky Man and The Jazz Singer, that I am planning to get through the 20% sale. CH might pick them up, but I doubt it, given CH's track record on older films.
Old 11-09-07, 12:34 PM
Cool New Member

What I laugh at is people who get the titles that Columbia House does cover and they pay $15 to $17 for them and they think it's the best deal ever. I also laugh at the new releases that Columbia House does offer and the prices they pay for them again thinking it's the best deal ever. I understand that Columbia House does not offer everything. I'm going to get Seinfeld season 9 myself.
Old 11-09-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tend to agree. Personally, I'm buying a couple box sets which is where CH really can't compete. Planet Earth HD-DVD $53.47 and free shipping. Already shipped.

It might be good to have a few things on hand... you know, writer's strike. Couldn't hurt to snag a few books either.
Old 11-09-07, 01:38 PM

As a point of clarification, for most (all?) of us here; we don't pay .49 for anything at CH and we also don't pay $15 to $17 dollars for individual DVD releases. We pay, on average, approximately $5 - $6 for most individual releases. To look at it any other way is not seeing the true picture.

I, like many others, buy everything I can at CH but also look forward the the DDD sales for items that CH doesn't carry, or things like sets that don't fall into a favorable equivalent price at CH.

Last edited by viking99; 11-09-07 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 02:16 PM

depends what you are looking for. For HD stuff the 20% deal is great. I got the spiderman blu-ray box set for $51 shipped
Old 11-09-07, 02:32 PM
Banned

Okay, ehilbert, tell me how much I could've saved getting Cars and Ratatouille on Blu-Ray at Columbia House over Deep Discount or DVD Planet. Or Band of Brothers. Or From the Earth to the Moon.
Old 11-09-07, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Legolas
Okay, ehilbert, tell me how much I could've saved getting Cars and Ratatouille on Blu-Ray at Columbia House over Deep Discount or DVD Planet. Or Band of Brothers. Or From the Earth to the Moon.
There are obvious exceptions - box sets and HD/Bluray are not that cheap on CH.

However, if there is a a single disc movie released on DVD and CH carries it, it is by far and away the best deal.
Old 11-09-07, 04:05 PM

There are WAY TOO MANY obvious exceptions with columbiahouse... who buys mainstream dvd's anyways? Of course you save money with columbiahouse but Columbiahouse titles have nothing compared to alot of people's tastes in DVD's. I'm pretty sure most people on this board spent money on things that they compared with Columbia House prices and/or availability already.

"However, if there is a a single disc movie released on DVD and CH carries it, it is by far and away the best deal."

To the OP and poster above there is nothing you are saying that NOBODY in this board has already thought of already. Which is annoying... the bragging is as well.

"It's just fun to sit back and see all the posts of the "Great Deals" people are getting and knowing I've got most of those titles for way cheaper."

Which deals and posts specifically are people losing out on? Because I would like to help them get a better deal instead of gloating about vague generalities.

Last edited by masuerte; 11-09-07 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 04:13 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Legolas
I'm not saying everything is all peaches and cream with Columbia House. I bought Spiderman 3 blue ray and also got Hostel 2 (regular DVD)free. I also bought The Shining on BlueRay $21.99 I think and I got Spiderman 3 2 disk (Regular DVD) free as a gift. All of these with free shipping. Thats how i made out and it was pretty sweet.
Old 11-09-07, 04:27 PM
Cool New Member

This is why I hardly ever post on here. People get to upset over the smallest things.

What I mean when I say better deals is the fact that with a BIG1 free and free shipping code I can get 2 double disk DVD's for around $22 wich is $11 a peice and If I have enough fun cash I can get a DVD for $3 and that includes new relases. I see posts where people buy the same DVD's I bought from Columbia House for $18 or more a peice and there is no type of fun cash for them. The whole bargin forum for DVD's is people bragging that they either got the lowest price on a DVD or found the lowest price. Which is why I love this site so much. I just wish people would see Columbia House for what it is. I like the DDD sale too. I just check Columbia House first and you would think that people in the bargin forum(Who live for deals) would check Columbia House too. That is all I am saying. Now I will go back to not posting. I figure I will be called a name by someone next.
Old 11-09-07, 05:01 PM
Banned

Are there a lot of idiots who spend a lot of money without thinking it over when it comes to the Deep Discount and DVD Planet 20% sales. Sure. Just look at everyone who willingly bought Uwe Boll's BloodRayne when that first came out.

During the last sale, I was wondering why people were paying like $36 for some box sets that Best Buy or someplace like that was selling for $20. But they're allowed to do whatever they want with their money.

I use Columbia House, but at the same time the two worst customer service experiences I've ever had were with them, which is why I've been printing out the before and after purchase screens every damn time I buy something from them.
Old 11-09-07, 05:07 PM

I'm haiving a hard time paying anything for DVDs these days
Old 11-09-07, 05:11 PM

While I buy movies every year during the 20% off sale I don't spend $15-16 per movie. I guess my days of using CH has me spoiled, but I no longer use them. I got fed up with their phone calls, junk mail, and was a hassle to call for anything so paying a little more per DVD is fine with me at this point in my purchasing habits.

Just because people don't use CH doesn't make them idiots. Some just like the simplicity of ordering through DD without receiving any sales calls and what not after.
Old 11-09-07, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
While I buy movies every year during the 20% off sale I don't spend $15-16 per movie. I guess my days of using CH has me spoiled, but I no longer use them. I got fed up with their phone calls, junk mail, and was a hassle to call for anything so paying a little more per DVD is fine with me at this point in my purchasing habits.
Huh? I've never received any phone calls or junk mail from CH.
Old 11-09-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mnementh
Huh? I've never received any phone calls or junk mail from CH.
I get a ton. Especially the calls--that's what I get for using my real phone number.

Anyway, like lots of people in this forum, CH is one place I get cheap DVDs, DD is another one...and sometimes, I go to a B&M and pay a bit too much because I want instant gratification.
Old 11-09-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Always got to check CH and dvdpricesearch.com before making any non CH purchase
Old 11-09-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stopped reading halfway through the posts above, but its called diversification

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.