DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Columbia House encouraging me to cycle account

Old 08-19-07, 02:42 PM

Columbia House encouraging me to cycle account

I recently got a notice from Columbia House (actually, they say it's my 2ND notice!), offering me 6 DVDs at $.49 each, free shipping on the order, and 3 DVD commitment over next 2 years. Yeah, standard not-so-good offer. They said they would close my account and open a new one.

What surprised me, is that they actually sent me this offer. I thought that cycling accounts wasn't actually encouraged by them, but was accepted.

I don't plan on taking them up on this offer. I have too many unwatched movies already. I actually plan on closing my TV account and reopening a new one. Too bad they didn't give me a offer on that account!

Anybody else ever get this?
Old 08-20-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^While it is routine to get letters and e-mails with enrollment offers, I can't recall one that suggested cycling accounts like that. Interesting.

If the offer has a bonus for $9.95 that lowers the commitment to two, it is the best 7:2 deal going. The standard not-so-good deal is 5 at 49 with four or five commitments.
Old 08-20-07, 10:59 AM

I'll have to double-check on that. I know it was 6 (not 5) for $.49 with a 3 (not 2) committment, but I'm not sure if I could get one at $9.95 and lower than committment. So this is a bit odd, huh?
Old 08-20-07, 06:26 PM

I double-checked and yes, I can get a 7th DVD at $9.95, still free shipping, and it lowers the comittment to just 2 in 2 years.
Old 08-28-07, 07:16 PM

i just got this too, 6 for .49 each free shipping, buy uptoo 2 for 9.95 each free shipping on those buy 2 more in 2 years with one or two extras or 3 more with just the 6 is this a ok deal? not as good as my first one .49 each no more too buy
Old 08-29-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^That sounds like the best 7:2 deal going.
Old 09-01-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got one in the mail too (with the DVD stamps that never have any titles I want) but didn't notice it saying they would close my account and start a new one. I thought they were just adding on another slew of 49-cent DVDs and adding 2 or 3 DVDs onto my commitment.