DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Clubs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs-13/)
-   -   Heroes preorder (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/509090-heroes-preorder.html)

mazzystar 08-14-07 12:13 AM

Heroes Pre-Order Columbia House

Heroes in SD and HD-DVD is now up for pre-order. No price yet for the HD version, SD is 35 bucks. If the hd price is reasonable might pick this up.

Sweet Baby James 08-14-07 10:15 AM

The HD version is $74.99 and you get 10% off of your entire order. I'm very happy that CH is adding more HD titles to their inventory.:up:

lizard 08-14-07 12:06 PM

If Columbia House is carrying Heroes on HD DVD then that means they will be carrying Battlestar Galactica on HD DVD. And that's good news! :up:

Time to start thinking about an new enrollment that skips the $9.95 "bonus" (meaning three fulfillments required)...

Some example numbers using Heroes as a fulfillment purchase. [For this exercise, I will use $4.80 as the value of a regular DVD and assume a BOGOF with free shipping sale offer code]:

Enrollment: 6 x 49¢ = $2.94 (6 DVDs)
Fulfillment: $74.96 + $7.99 shipping + (free DVD) + (free shipping) = $82.95 (1 HD DVD box set plus 1 DVD)

Total: $2.94 + $82.95 = $85.92 (7 DVDs + 1 HD DVD box set)
Relative cost of the HD DVD box set: $85.89 - (7 x $4.80) = $85.89 - $33.60 = $52.29

Not the greatest price, but probably better than one can get it for elsewhere.

mazzystar 08-14-07 12:13 PM

Definitely wanna buy this to fulfill my husband's account. Really hope they do carry BSG. Hell might even pick up Shrek the 3rd too. Damn, this addiction of mine is getting quite expensive. Husband is not going to be thrilled lol. So wait, will this count as two fulfillments?

blaze1984 08-14-07 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
Relative cost of the HD DVD box set: $85.89 - (7 x $4.80) = $85.89 - $33.60 = $52.29

at this point, i'd say it's not worth it. Unless of course you already were going to get another account and wanted the regular DVDs anyways (or are planning on selling on ebay / trading in at DVDPlanet or somewhere else).

The hi def version is $70 at DVD Planet (come their next 20% off sale) = $56 with no tax for me. For CH, i have to pay tax as well. So i think that makes them essentially the same price. If you're in a hurry to get it right away and can't wait till december, then by all means, this is the best price you're going to find. If you're willing to wait till December, DVD Planet, would likely be the way to go with this (not to mention the possibility of another place putting this on sale at a better price in the mean time)

Originally Posted by mazzystar
Definitely wanna buy this to fulfill my husband's account. Really hope they do carry BSG. Hell might even pick up Shrek the 3rd too. Damn, this addiction of mine is getting quite expensive. Husband is not going to be thrilled lol. So wait, will this count as two fulfillments?

This would count as 3 fullfillments, since its' over $60. However, if you use this with a B1G1 coupon, you only get 1 free DVD

lizard 08-14-07 12:45 PM

mazzystar, Heroes at that price would be worth three fulfillment credits. Check my first post in the new "Questions" thread for a table of fulfillment credit price ranges:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=508198
I put the table in blue so that it can be easily spotted when scanning the FAQ.

mazzystar 08-14-07 01:03 PM

Ah okay thanks guys.

lizard 08-14-07 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by blaze1984
at this point, i'd say it's not worth it. Unless of course you already were going to get another account and wanted the regular DVDs anyways (or are planning on selling on ebay / trading in at DVDPlanet or somewhere else).

The hi def version is $70 at DVD Planet (come their next 20% off sale) = $56 with no tax for me. For CH, i have to pay tax as well. So i think that makes them essentially the same price. If you're in a hurry to get it right away and can't wait till december, then by all means, this is the best price you're going to find. If you're willing to wait till December, DVD Planet, would likely be the way to go with this (not to mention the possibility of another place putting this on sale at a better price in the mean time)...

Yes, waiting for the 20% off sale at DVD Planet next November — assuming the price remains the same — would be an easier way to get it at almost the same price as CH. And there might be other deals that come along in the interim. The current price at Amazon works out to $62.95 for those of us who have the 10% HD discount on our accounts.

Most of us don't pay any sales tax at either Columbia House or DVD Planet so it would be a few bucks cheaper at CH. But the nuisance value of setting up an enrollment to buy the set as a fulfillment is high, unless one really wants the SD DVDs, as you say.

mazzystar 08-14-07 01:13 PM

It works out okay for me, because I'm just starting to build on my dvd collection. Most of the dvds that I choose from Columbia House are ones that are blu ray exclusive. So I'm trying to build my sd and hd collection. I like to idea of fulfilling with an hd purchase/or blu ray exclusive sd, and getting the sd dvds that i want for enrollment. All works out fantastic for what I want to do.

Sweet Baby James 08-14-07 01:39 PM

The way that I like to look at it is that I'm getting 8 titles for $85.89. That's an average of $10.73 per title. $10.73 per title isn't bad for the 7 regular titles(particularly if one is a Criterion) and it's smoking hot for the Heroes HD-DVD set.

DVDMagic 08-14-07 03:03 PM

mazzystar, Heroes at that price would be worth three fulfillment credits. Check my first post in the new "Questions" thread for a table of fulfillment credit price ranges:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=508198
I put the table in blue so that it can be easily spotted when scanning the FAQ.

Lizard,

I have a new TV account open. In your opinion would it be best just to buy 'Heroes' and use up my necessary commitment dvd's? I don't mind paying the extra $$ for shipping for the DVD since it might not be that much cheaper in the store.

Orwould it be better to wait for a BOGO deal?

I know its an obvious answer, but I'm sick and not thinking right (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

Sweet Baby James 08-14-07 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Lizard,

I have a new TV account open. In your opinion would it be best just to buy 'Heroes' and use up my necessary commitment dvd's? I don't mind paying the extra $$ for shipping for the DVD since it might not be that much cheaper in the store.

I know its an obvious answer, but I'm sick and not thinking right (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

Might as well wait for a BOGO code so that you would get a freebie to go along with the Heroes set. Hope you feel better.:)

blaze1984 08-14-07 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
The way that I like to look at it is that I'm getting 8 titles for $85.89. That's an average of $10.73 per title. $10.73 per title isn't bad for the 7 regular titles(particularly if one is a Criterion) and it's smoking hot for the Heroes HD-DVD set.

yes, but you can use this to buy something else. You could get 3 HD-DVDs for $90 (instead of $83 for heroes) and get 3 criterions free (instead of 1)

3 HD-DVDs, 3 Criterion (or other expensive DVDs), and 6 other DVDs for for $95.

And eventually you can get Heroes another way for about the same price. So not a big savings in my mind. Right now the best you can do on a Hi-def DVD from outside of columbia house is around $15 (new releases normally run significantly more).

To each his own though.

lizard 08-15-07 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Lizard,

Two things: First, I agree with SBJ that if you really want to buy Heroes [HD DVD] you should use a BOGOF code to get a free DVD. Because Heroes is very high-priced, the free DVD can be fairly high-priced, such as a Criterion or a two disc Special Edition not available for enrollment.

Second, should you get Heroes or something else? That depends on what you want. The price savings using Heroes to fulfill an account isn't that great. You could use your fulfillments to buy some $19.95 pre-orders, plus some free DVDs of the same or lesser value, and get more for less money. Up to you.

For me, Heroes would be a blind buy. I will just Netflix the first disc to see what I think.

For me, Battlestar Galactica would also be a blind buy, but I am a sci-fi fan and have seen enough reviews to be sure that I will enjoy it. I will be buying that one on HD DVD even though I haven't seen it. In fact, I haven't purchased the SD DVD sets precisely because I knew several years ago that it would be coming out in HD and it seemed like a show that would look great in High Def. Whether I will get the sets from Columbia House remains to be seen.

lizard 08-15-07 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by blaze1984
yes, but you can use this to buy something else. You could get 3 HD-DVDs for $90 (instead of $83 for heroes) and get 3 criterions free (instead of 1)

3 HD-DVDs, 3 Criterion (or other expensive DVDs), and 6 other DVDs for for $95.

And eventually you can get Heroes another way for about the same price. So not a big savings in my mind. Right now the best you can do on a Hi-def DVD from outside of columbia house is around $15 (new releases normally run significantly more).

To each his own though.

I agree with you. In addition, the price I came up with above, $52.29, would actually be $1.99 higher using a BOGOF code without free shipping for the free DVD. Since most, but not all, free shipping offers require the purchase of three DVDs to qualify, the typical BOGOF plus free shipping offer wouldn't apply to a set plus one DVD. The price advantage of using Heroes [HD DVD] as a fulfillment isn't great enough to make it as good a deal as using something else as fulfillments.

lizard 08-15-07 10:13 AM

FWIW, Heroes [HD DVD] is $59.99, at CH.com, with free shipping, as always, and an additional 10% off anything else in the order, same as the regular club.

That might be the lowest price around for it. The extra few dollars saved by using it as a fulfillment probably isn't worth the hassle nor the opportunity cost. I might go this route to get BSG [HD DVD] when it comes out (reportedly, 12/4/07).

Sweet Baby James 08-15-07 10:16 AM

I agree with you. In addition, the price I came up with above, $52.29, would actually be $1.99 higher using a BOGOF code without free shipping for the free DVD. Since most, but not all, free shipping offers require the purchase of three DVDs to qualify, the typical BOGOF plus free shipping offer wouldn't apply to a set plus one DVD. The price advantage of using Heroes [HD DVD] as a fulfillment isn't great enough to make it as good a deal as using something else as fulfillments.

I would normally agree with you and blaze. However, I'm now in a boat where I don't want to buy anymore SD DVD's and I already have all 5 of the Criterions.

lizard 08-15-07 11:32 AM

^Yes, that's the problem with using the HD formats to fulfill accounts. I don't have much interest in SD DVDs either, so cycling accounts is difficult.

In your case, I assume that you have an account to fulfill, but otherwise, might it not be easier to just buy HD discs at 40% off list from CH.com?

mazzystar 08-15-07 11:52 AM

FWIW, Heroes [HD DVD] is $59.99, at CH.com, with free shipping, as always, and an additional 10% off anything else in the order, same as the regular club.

That might be the lowest price around for it. The extra few dollars saved by using it as a fulfillment probably isn't worth the hassle nor the opportunity cost. I might go this route to get BSG [HD DVD] when it comes out (reportedly, 12/4/07).

Dang, I applied for a ch.com account and have not been approved. Will have to keep trying I guess. THat's a great price for the set. That includes free shipping yes?

ESG927 08-28-07 09:50 AM

I decided to wait and NOT pre-order Heroes S1. Instead, I ordered today and used $10 FunCash -- total with shipping/tax was $36.00 even. Not a lot cheaper than the stores, but slightly.

Now once I get this, I can close my account and open a new TV edition one. From everything I heard, I was not going to be able to use Heroes as an enrollment choice and I also would not be able to use it as TWO fulfillments, only 1.

This made the most sense to me.

lizard 08-28-07 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by mazzystar
Dang, I applied for a ch.com account and have not been approved. Will have to keep trying I guess. THat's a great price for the set. That includes free shipping yes?

Shipping is always free with CH.com accounts.