Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
Manzana, I'd strongly suggest that you just sell or give away the DVDs that you no longer want. Trying to hassle with a partial return of an order is way more trouble than it is worth IMO.
Really? I've considered that possibility knowing it's rare that I can get someone on the phone there who can speak English well. Will they give me the proper credit or just "lose" my DVDs? I don't know.

Cheato, I paid $22.95 (BOGO) for 2 new release DVDs making them $11.50 each, plus a bunch of 2-DVD SEs for $7.95 so $7.95 each is the price. I didn't factor in the Funcash. Yeah, that's more than fiddling with new enrollments and such to get $5 each, but I just don't have the time to mess with setting up multiple accounts. All I know is $7.95 with no tax and shipping was cheaper than I could find them elsewhere at the time. Since then a few have had better deals. The few DVDs I'm thinking of returning are a 2-DVD SE I paid $7.95 (which I got for $2 on BF), Harry Potter 5 SE for $11.50 and Transformers SE for $7.95 because those HD-DVDs will be $15-$17 each at BBY this week. Maybe I should just stick with the SD DVDs and eat the $6 difference on that other DVD if returning to CH is such a hassle?
Old 12-16-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
While I don't think this is what is happening with mike050 I've seen it on several of my accounts.
Scenario:
Log in. There is a selection of the month to respond to. I decline. Home page now shows "You've responded to your Selection of the Month".
Log in later that day or the next day, NO outstanding selection of the month shown. Apply savings code. Selection of the month now appears.

I get the impression that if I respond to the selection when using a special code that I may not actually be making a valid response. Due to what I've seen I always reply to the selection of the month immediately after logging in and then just browse around. If I was intending to make a purchase with a special code I log out and log back in to use the code. Once I've applied a code I do NOTHING but make the purchase intended and log out.

Yeah, I know it seems a bit paranoid, but if it helps prevent such problems it's worth the hassle.

Another thing I do with CH is use a "virtual" CC for ALL payments. I typically set one up with double the amount of an intended purchase (because of the way CH "dings" your card) and a 2 month expiration date. As soon as the payment goes through I close the card. Can't be used again except for a credit back. This not only prevents CH from charging you for something you really did not order but it also helps protect the main card number against theft, etc. Again, it's a bit paranoid but there is a certain peace of mind involved.
Old 12-16-07, 05:59 PM

You can email them about the bill me option, I've done it more than once and they always switched it over for me.
Old 12-17-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Manzana
Really? I've considered that possibility knowing it's rare that I can get someone on the phone there who can speak English well. Will they give me the proper credit or just "lose" my DVDs? I don't know...
If you used a BOGOF code, trying to do a partial return could cause all sorts of problems. Especially since you probably didn't technically have the sale offer code on your account in the first place. Maybe you could get them to swap out some DVDs but the chances for billing errors, such as charging you full price for "freebies", are way too great to be worth the hassle, IMO.

Either return the whole order unopened or keep them and sell/give them away.
Old 12-17-07, 11:28 AM

Sorry I didn't ask here first. I don't know how to close the topic though. Anyways, I wanted to know what the limit was on Bill Me orders.
Old 12-17-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I don't know but it has been reported that there is one. Others have said that some of their orders don't ship until the pay for the previous portion. Perhaps someone who uses "Bill Me" has an idea what the limit is.
Old 12-17-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^It really depends. I have done orders of $60-$70 on a very fulfilled account and gotten everything without having to pre-pay. But I've also had to send payment for a $40 shipment on an unfulfilled account before they would send anything. Every order under $30 on unfulfilled accounts have fully shipped.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 12-17-07 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-19-07, 02:37 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to enroll in the TV on DVD club.I was blacklisted but managed to get accepted into the CHDVD club by using my Aunts Address and the bill me option.
The chances of my Aunt letting me use her CC info are nil and as we know,the TV on DVD club does not have a bill me option.
What would happen if I printed the application and sent it in along with a money order?
Old 12-19-07, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by rider555
I would like to enroll in the TV on DVD club.I was blacklisted but managed to get accepted into the CHDVD club by using my Aunts Address and the bill me option.
The chances of my Aunt letting me use her CC info are nil and as we know,the TV on DVD club does not have a bill me option.
What would happen if I printed the application and sent it in along with a money order?
To be honest, you shouldn't open an an account unless you can afford to do so. And if you're blacklisted, then you ought to examine your consumer history and make sure that you can fulfill the obligations on this account.

To answer your question, if you send in an application with the correct fee using the name and address of someone previously unaffiliated with CH, you will likely get your account approved.
Old 12-19-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^One "however": while one can use a mail-in application to enroll in the TV on DVD club, one isn't likely to find a mail-in application that approaches the value of the on-line HDL code. If the standard deal is good enough, then mailing in an application with a check ought to work to set up the account as "bill me".
Old 12-19-07, 07:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gobear
To be honest, you shouldn't open an an account unless you can afford to do so. And if you're blacklisted, then you ought to examine your consumer history and make sure that you can fulfill the obligations on this account.

To answer your question, if you send in an application with the correct fee using the name and address of someone previously unaffiliated with CH, you will likely get your account approved.
Yeah,that is how I was accepted in to the DVD club;used my name but my Aunts adress and no credit card.
So I am thinking of doing this with TVonDVD,print out the completed application and send it in with a money order for the correct amount.
And I guess I should have wrote "i WAS blacklisted".Don't know if I still am as it has been nearly 2 years since than.
Old 01-04-08, 01:33 AM

Hey does anyone know how long it takes columbia house to respond on those internet applications. I need to get in on those "special edition" that count as enrollments right now because of the columbia house error.
Old 01-04-08, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The answer to that is on the very first page (not the first post) of this thread, in a quoted message from Columbia House.
Old 01-04-08, 09:33 AM

Does ANYONE have a Customer Support Number for CH to esculate problem resolution?????? I have 3 CH accounts and all 3 have missing or inaccurate titles, funcash orders disappearing, inaccurate funcash amounts etc..... and I have placed multiple phone calls w/ NO LUCK. How do you get service with these idiots????????????????
Old 01-04-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1-800-262-2001 > 1 > 5 > 5

(technically this is to cancel an account but you will ALWAYS get a live person and they can help you with whatever you need)
Old 01-04-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The last post in the Columbia House Phone Number Live Person thread shows: 888-467-7404 as getting a "live" person after a wait of a minute or two.
Old 01-05-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I called one of the regular phone numbers a few days ago to resolve a billing overcharge: 800-667-0364. I waded around in the menus for awhile, having already entered my account number, but eventually selected 9 to return to the main menu then the usual 1 "to place an order". To my surprise I was connected to a CSR within about 20 seconds.

After some discussion, the CSR actually gave me the overcharged DVD for free, leaving me better off than if they had just charged the order correctly in the first place. I had already gone two rounds in e-mail, including attaching my e-mail receipt showing the correct charges, and got nowhere. The e-mail CSR just kept quoting incorrect boilerplate and apparently didn't even look at my receipt. As usual, a phone call was the way to go.

When phoning Columbia House, always call during normal business hours, roughly M-F, 9-5 CST. Always be polite and patient. The CSRs get a lot of abuse and that's no way to get them to help.

Last edited by lizard; 01-05-08 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-06-08, 09:04 AM
Banned

ok so I have 2 accounts, both of which I have fulfilled, and I am ready to cancel one and and keep one. How do I actually cancel the account I want to cancel? Also how long do I have to wait to make sure that account is closed and I can set up a new one?
Old 01-06-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1-800-262-2001 > 1 > 5 > 5

mon-fri 10am-7pm EST
Old 01-06-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
ok so I have 2 accounts, both of which I have fulfilled, and I am ready to cancel one and and keep one. How do I actually cancel the account I want to cancel? Also how long do I have to wait to make sure that account is closed and I can set up a new one?
To cancel you can call or you can do it online. I prefer online myself. Just click help, then choose contact us on the left. In the drop down box choose "Membership Obligation" and tell them that you've fulfilled your account and would like it closed. After a couple days you'll get an email saying it's been done. You'll know you're safe to open a new account when you try to log in to the old one and only get a payment page instead of the full site.
Old 02-08-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bump. Don't know why this thread disappeared but I'd like to get it back on the first page.

Newcomers, if you haven't already done so, please read the first post in this thread.
Old 02-09-08, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
To cancel you can call or you can do it online. I prefer online myself. Just click help, then choose contact us on the left. In the drop down box choose "Membership Obligation" and tell them that you've fulfilled your account and would like it closed. After a couple days you'll get an email saying it's been done. You'll know you're safe to open a new account when you try to log in to the old one and only get a payment page instead of the full site.
Is this not working for anyone else? I get to the email help form, but when I click on "cancel membership", it just pops up the phone number. I tried selecting another option, but I got a delivery failure email.

Then I tried calling to cancel my account and it said they don't open till 10 am. Lazy fucks.
Old 02-09-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I believe that smashthesymbols was suggesting selecting "Membership Obligation" as the subject of the contact, not "Cancel Membership". It has been reported for some time that Cancel Membership no longer works. But if you choose "Membership Obligation" and then put in the text that you have completed your membership obligation and would like to close your account, they should take care of it for you. I have never done it this way, so others can chime in if I got that wrong.

Another alternative would be to just e-mail Columbia House at [email protected] and ask them to close the account because you have completed your membership obligation.

If using the phone, it is best to do it on weekdays.
Old 02-10-08, 12:12 AM

Okay, thanks Lizard. Maybe the email servers were down for a bit and that's why I was getting the "delivery failure" notice.
Old 02-10-08, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
What is up with these new 9:2 codes? I hope they aren't trying to ween the community into paying shipping on everything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.