Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. When i clicked to get more information, it listed the # of discs as 1, so I was getting confused.
Old 10-05-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Droog
Thanks. When i clicked to get more information, it listed the # of discs as 1, so I was getting confused.
That's just a little quirk of Columbia House. The actual page for every DVD on the enrollment site will say 1 disc. You have to look on the search results and it will say (2 discs) there if it's the 2 disc version.
Old 10-05-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDMagic
I don't think there would be any problems whatsoever with that. I doubt CH would even for a second think you were the one and same. The only way they might notice something is if you used the same credit/debit card to pay for everything, but even then that is the longest of long shots.

Go ahead and have fun cycling accounts
Some years ago Columbia House searched out credit card numbers and blacklisted those using the same card at different addresses. Don't do this; use a different card number at different addresses, if you feel you must have accounts at more than one address.

Last edited by lizard; 10-05-07 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-05-07, 02:00 PM

Lizard what if I use different cards at different times to pay? Like for one package I may use a certain card, and for another I will use a different one. Any chance that could be a problem?
Old 10-05-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^All I can do is advise you to use a different set of cards at each address. It isn't the end of the world if you did use the same card at different addresses. Chances are they won't spot it. But be aware that they do have the ability to search for accounts by card number.

Last edited by lizard; 10-05-07 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-05-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mazzystar
Lizard what if I use different cards at different times to pay? Like for one package I may use a certain card, and for another I will use a different one. Any chance that could be a problem?
Use one card at one address, and use a different card at the other address. Make sure the billing address of both the cards also correspond with the respective shipping address.
NEVER mix them up, or CH may cross-reference and blacklist you.
Otherwise I wouldn't risk it, not worth getting ousted.
Old 10-05-07, 04:38 PM

Ah okay. Thanks Basaro. In that case, hope that particular app doesn't get approved then. Can definitely wait.
Old 10-05-07, 06:51 PM

Stupid question about B1G1 : I've got Allo Allo and 1408 2-Disc in the cart , 1408 costs more than Allo Allo but is showing up as the free one. Will it end up being the free one or will they charge me full price for both? they screwed up one of my b1g1 orders before. Any help??
Old 10-05-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it shows up as free, you'll get it for free. Someone else can explain the specifics of why the more expensive picks show as the free selection at times, but yes, that's normal.

I got the 1408 2-disc and the Bram Stoker's Dracula 2-disc in the mail today. I also got an order yesterday that included the Troy Ultimate Collector's Edition, and holy crap, I really had no clue that the case was as big as it is.
Old 10-06-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mazzystar
Ah okay. Thanks Basaro. In that case, hope that particular app doesn't get approved then. Can definitely wait.
If it does get approved, you maybe be able to change the billing information after the fact to another cc or a "bill me" option. If you change it, CH may not have it on file in the future, but I'm not completely sure about that. You also may run the risk of having two cc's tied to that one account, so I'm not really sure what I would do, be careful.
Old 10-06-07, 01:51 PM

Checked my email today and it was approved. So what I'll do is just buy a visa gift card, that way I can put any address I want in the cardholder information online. So no problems with the shipping and billing address being different.
Old 10-07-07, 01:32 PM
Banned

How fast do your applications usually get approved? The last time I applied, it was accepted the very next day. But the last few attempts have gone unanswered.
Old 10-07-07, 02:08 PM

When I applied with my last app before this, at my home address it did not go through, I ended up calling and doing a phone app to get it approved. This app is at a different addy, applied on Oct 4 got the welcome email Oct 6.
Old 10-08-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do any of you guys know if the Rio Bravo set listed on CH is actually what's pictured, or is it just the normal 2-disc version?
Old 10-08-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
Do any of you guys know if the Rio Bravo set listed on CH is actually what's pictured, or is it just the normal 2-disc version?
It's definitely NOT the one in the picture. Just the regular 2-disc, not Ultimate.

They did that to me on TMNT: The Original Series Volume 5. They have a picture of the "Season 5" 3-Disc set, but it's actually just the "Volume 5" 1 disc set. Luckily I double checked before ordering it.

Last edited by dadaluholla; 10-08-07 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alrighty, I didn't think so but figured I'd ask.
Old 10-09-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just wanted to note that I pre-ordered Reign Over Me and sure enough I got it in the mail today, on the release date.
Old 10-10-07, 11:20 AM

Was Superbad a Director's Selection? I just went to my account and it says I have it on pre-order. I never ordered it and I never got an email about it being a Director's Selection. Knocked Up was the last one I got.
Old 10-11-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Not to my knowledge. It was just added to the catalog a week or so ago so it ought not to have been a DS yet.

Don't know why you have an order for it.
Old 10-11-07, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by lizard
^Not to my knowledge. It was just added to the catalog a week or so ago so it ought not to have been a DS yet.

Don't know why you have an order for it.
Thanks! I added it to my cart when playing around with the B1G1 codes, but I made sure it wasn't part of my order. Maybe CH messed up and I'll get a free one. Or I'll get charged for it.
Old 10-11-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody have experience cancelling membership with an open order? I ordered Elizabeth and it is out of stock until late November. Will they just cancell that or will they charge and ship it as normal? I know it's probably not the wisest thing to do, just in case there are problems, but I don't really care if I get it or not (was just added to get to the free shipping threshold).
Old 10-12-07, 10:52 AM
Banned

OK. i placed an order last night at columbia house with 20 DVD's that when i used a sale code came to a total of $102.78. This was how it appeared on the Send Order page so i went ahead and sent the order. Then it took me to the page that says click to go to your receipt. So i do that and it takeds me to my receipt page and all of a sudden my total shows up as $161.54!!! more than $40 was shipping which should not be on there at all because I used a code with free shipping and all my titles were eligible for it.
So i called and talked to a ch representative and explained that my order didnt go through correctly and she told me it did and i said it didnt and told her it was $60 more than it should have been. SO i ask if i can cancel this order and she said she could try to cancel it but it wouldnt be guarenteed and would take at least a few days to find out if it even was canceled.
Then she tried to sell me a bunch of stuff. I got the feeling that I'm going to get screwed and lose that $60. Is there any other way to cancel an order? or change this so i get this at the correct price? any one else have this problem ever ?
Old 10-12-07, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by vcuram
Thanks! I added it to my cart when playing around with the B1G1 codes, but I made sure it wasn't part of my order. Maybe CH messed up and I'll get a free one. Or I'll get charged for it.
Now Superbad is gone from my pre-order box, but 1408 CE has replaced. WTF?
Old 10-12-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starman9000
Anybody have experience cancelling membership with an open order? I ordered Elizabeth and it is out of stock until late November. Will they just cancell that or will they charge and ship it as normal? I know it's probably not the wisest thing to do, just in case there are problems, but I don't really care if I get it or not (was just added to get to the free shipping threshold).
I think that it is possible to close an account that is fulfilled but the DVDs haven't shipped, so I think the answer to your question is "yes". Best to call Columbia House to cancel and see what the CSR says about the open order.
Old 10-12-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
OK. i placed an order last night at columbia house with 20 DVD's that when i used a sale code came to a total of $102.78. This was how it appeared on the Send Order page so i went ahead and sent the order. Then it took me to the page that says click to go to your receipt. So i do that and it takeds me to my receipt page and all of a sudden my total shows up as $161.54!!! more than $40 was shipping which should not be on there at all because I used a code with free shipping and all my titles were eligible for it.
So i called and talked to a ch representative and explained that my order didnt go through correctly and she told me it did and i said it didnt and told her it was $60 more than it should have been. SO i ask if i can cancel this order and she said she could try to cancel it but it wouldnt be guarenteed and would take at least a few days to find out if it even was canceled.
Then she tried to sell me a bunch of stuff. I got the feeling that I'm going to get screwed and lose that $60. Is there any other way to cancel an order? or change this so i get this at the correct price? any one else have this problem ever ?
Problems like this are not unheard of, although they are fairly rare. Trying to cancel an order can cause difficulties, as the CSR told you.

It's a bit late now, but the best thing to do with an order screwup is to wait. Sometimes things sort themselves out in time and trying to fix errors too quickly just makes things worse, IME. And if they really don't correct the billing, and you can't persuade them to fix it, you can return the DVDs and have the order canceled that way (yes, you would have to pay to send them back).

Why there was a difference between the Send Order page and the receipt, I couldn't say. I have never seen such a thing before.

Perhaps your order will get canceled before any DVDs ship.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.