Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Originally Posted by cgray
I think they shouldn't send it back to you for free, but due to their computer system, etc., it is probably easier just to ship it back to you. Do you really think it sounds like a smart business plan to include the contents of every package on the outside of the packaging?
For theft reasons, I completely understand why they don't list on the outside of the package what's contained inside; however, in these one-off situations like mine, it can cause problems.

Originally Posted by wkkunkle
^^ If you are careful, you can actually open the DVD packages and then seal them shut again (pull apart at the glue versus the perferations) ... I did that once and resealed with glue ... then marked Return To Sender on it because it was a mis-ship ... and I didn't feel like fighting and waiting for a pre-paid label.

Actually got two packages this weekend and opened them up to where they could have been resealed (a practice I've gotten into in case I find floater discs ...).
I opened it along the perforations, but I was able to (sloppily) glue it back together to where it didn't look like it was opened. There was quite a bit of dried glue around the perforations, but the USPS hasn't sent it back to me yet disputing eligibility for a "return to sender." This is the third time I've tried to return something as "return to sender" that I've opened and it looks like two out of the three times it worked.

As an update for anyone else that might have my situation occur to them, I contacted Columbia House and they said they will re-ship the items out to me when they get them back. Not sure how long that'll be and they didn't say anything about re-charging me, so hopefully they don't.
Old 01-12-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Am I the only one annoyed by Blu-ray disks coming up as the "default", if available, when doing a search for titles? I neither own a Blu-ray player and am not interested in purchasing Blu-ray disks plus I'm in the *DVD* club so why would they default to Blu?
Old 01-12-11, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Am I the only one annoyed by Blu-ray disks coming up as the "default", if available, when doing a search for titles? I neither own a Blu-ray player and am not interested in purchasing Blu-ray disks plus I'm in the *DVD* club so why would they default to Blu?
Absolutely agree. I bought a BluRay player about two years ago but never bought a BluRay disc (really don't want to mix and match my DVDs with BluRays and don't want to convert my collection ... not to mention I don't want to have to buy a BluRay player to replace every DVD player I own, just so I could watch the disc everywhere I watch DVDs now).

In any case ... if I remember correctly, the old website let you specify if you preferred Widescreen vs. Fullscreen in your profile and altered your search results accordingly to show your preference first. Wish they'd bring that back and integrate the same functionality with respect to DVD or BluRay being your preferred format.
Old 01-12-11, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I hear ya.
Old 03-01-11, 04:20 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any one else ever receive a DVD from CH that is not even available through the club?
I don't remember which Doctor Who title I ordered back in January,but to my surprise,they sent THE SONTARAN EXPERIMENT instead...?!
Old 03-02-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't been a CH member for well over a year, but decided to re-join today. They constantly send the "we want you back" emails, so I found an older one. It was 5 dvds for $1. So I just picked my titles and completed the registration. It appears I'm already approved as it's allowing me to buy titles now. I also got an email saying welcome to columbia house.

I always thought you had to go through an approval process. Are they doing instant approvals when you use one of those "we want you back" offers?
Old 03-02-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I haven't been a CH member for well over a year, but decided to re-join today. They constantly send the "we want you back" emails, so I found an older one. It was 5 dvds for $1. So I just picked my titles and completed the registration. It appears I'm already approved as it's allowing me to buy titles now. I also got an email saying welcome to columbia house.

I always thought you had to go through an approval process. Are they doing instant approvals when you use one of those "we want you back" offers?
I think they do instant approvals for (nearly) everyone now.
Old 03-02-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
I think they do instant approvals for (nearly) everyone now.
I'm still experiencing a 24-36 hour wait on new applications.
Old 03-02-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I'm still experiencing a 24-36 hour wait on new applications.
Are these using one of their "please come back" emails or are you just going to the site and entering an offer code?
Old 03-02-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are these using one of their "please come back" emails or are you just going to the site and entering an offer code?
Straight enrollment.
Old 03-02-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^

You should have instant access to the site where you could place fulfillment orders instantly.
Old 03-02-11, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You should have instant access to the site where you could place fulfillment orders instantly.
I do get instant access, but my account # shows "Provisional" for a day or two. I don't consider the account approved until it shows a real #.
Old 03-03-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I do get instant access, but my account # shows "Provisional" for a day or two. I don't consider the account approved until it shows a real #.
Mine did that, but it said my acct # would show up within 72 hours. I checked today and have an acct # now.
Old 03-03-11, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine did that, but it said my acct # would show up within 72 hours. I checked today and have an acct # now.
Great, you're all set. A few times, when I was flipping accounts like crazy, I guess I got rejected, because I couldn't sign in, even after placing regular orders under a "Provisional" status.
Old 03-25-11, 03:04 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Has anybody ordered 8 1/2 criterion lately? I received it yesterday and it did not look like a new criterion. It had no white security seal and looked like a rewrap. I know other studios don't use security seals. But for a criterion this didn't look new. Is it just this copy or is this how 8 1/2 comes from Columbia House now.
I ordered it a few years and it had all the proper factory seals.

Last edited by g; 03-25-11 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-25-11, 03:53 PM
Suspended

I still have not opened the 8 1/2 Criterion I ordered from CH last month.It is wrapped in cellophane,no security seals.
Old 03-25-11, 06:57 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the information. I won't bother trying to get another copy. I wish I had known in advance that it was like this. They must be getting some kind of returned copies as it isn't how it is from other sources.
Old 03-25-11, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Not necessarily. I believe use of security seals is a US only thing, kind of like the old CD long-boxes. I don't think you see these on DVDs in/from other countries unless the product is aimed at the US market. It's possible the stock CH has was for export and didn't make it *or* they simply requested copies without the seals. There's nothing that says these have to be on a DVD to be genuine/new/non-recycled, although I'll generally question "newness" if one is missing.
Old 03-25-11, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I seem to recall reading a while ago that CH made an arrangement with the studios to skip the factory seal stickers and security devices to cut the costs.
Old 03-29-11, 09:56 AM

I should know this but I need to make sure.....

I need to fulfill my CH membership by Sept. I see the next Harry Potter movie is a Director's Selection now, listed at a discounted price of $19.95. If I chose to accept it, will that count as one of my fulfillments? I think it won't because it has to be regularly priced at $19.95 or above. What's the verdict on this? thanks.
Old 03-29-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ESG927
I should know this but I need to make sure.....

I need to fulfill my CH membership by Sept. I see the next Harry Potter movie is a Director's Selection now, listed at a discounted price of $19.95. If I chose to accept it, will that count as one of my fulfillments? I think it won't because it has to be regularly priced at $19.95 or above. What's the verdict on this? thanks.
It will count. The regularly priced bit is just mumbo jumbo. As long as a title is $19.95 or higher, it counts.
Old 03-29-11, 12:27 PM

Thanks SBJ! I appreciate the response. I'll go ahead and accept this then since I do want it and it'll count as one of my fulfillments. Might be a good time to purchase the 2nd one since I think they might discount shipping on the 2nd one just a tiny bit. Need to check on that.
Old 03-29-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Shipping on the 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, etc.) is $1.99 each *unless* it's considered to be a "box" set. There are a few 3 disk selections which CH considers to be "box" sets.
Old 03-29-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ESG927
Thanks SBJ! I appreciate the response. I'll go ahead and accept this then since I do want it and it'll count as one of my fulfillments. Might be a good time to purchase the 2nd one since I think they might discount shipping on the 2nd one just a tiny bit. Need to check on that.
Don't forget to use the 801490 code. This should get you two free DVDs to go along with Harry Potter.
Old 03-30-11, 09:56 AM

Thanks! I got my 2 movies to fulfill plus two more. The overall price was not wonderful but at least I'm fulfilled now. think I won't renew my membership for a long time......too many unwatched DVDs in my house, lol.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.