Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Old 10-01-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^The other problem with not searching every title every time is that some titles get discontinued by Columbia House. But just having an up-to-date list of everything they carry — with selection number, list price, studio, whether widescreen or fullscreen, and enrollment status — would be a help for those trying to decide what to buy. Even if some of the titles get discontinued over time.

The CH catalog is huge. I don't think that we really appreciate it until we see a list of all the titles.
Old 10-01-07, 03:47 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a cool off period for recycling accounts? I sent a mail to close my account on yesterday (Sunday) night EST and got an confirmation mail on today (Monday) morning 8 AM EST (Yes, thats right). I have another fulfilled account that i will be closing in a week or 2. Planning to open a new one tonight...Is it advisable? or should i wait for some time?
Old 10-01-07, 04:38 PM

Is sending an email the best way to close an account? I looked on the site and it said I had to call which sounds like a huge pain in the ass.
Old 10-01-07, 05:09 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

I always find email the best way to close an account - it's always the way I've done it. Just email them and let them know you've fulfilled your commitment, the account has a $0 balance and that you wish to close the account.

Wait a week or so and then open a new one and enjoy choosing a whole host of new dvd's
Old 10-01-07, 05:10 PM

I've emailed to cancel before, so much easier. Instead of using the contact columbia house form I just emailed them directly. Was cancelled in day or two.
Old 10-01-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
I call every time. Tell them you have another account open and no longer need the one you are cancelling. They accept that as given and don't bother with retention pitches. I have never been on the phone longer than 5 minutes to do this, and I know it is taken care of by the time I hang up. Couldn't be easier.
Old 10-02-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I call every time. Tell them you have another account open and no longer need the one you are cancelling. They accept that as given and don't bother with retention pitches. I have never been on the phone longer than 5 minutes to do this, and I know it is taken care of by the time I hang up. Couldn't be easier.
Ditto. I don't understand why people don't use the phone more. What's so bad about talking to a real person? These must be the same people who torture themselves waiting to see if their web applications are approved, meanwhile you could call in and have a much higher success rate. By the time you find out your web application was ignored, you would have a new enrollment package on your doorstep from a phone-in app.
I don't know why I'm even bothering to mention it again, most people don't seem to want to listen to good advice.

To Cancel on the phone:
Call CH. 1-800-262-2001
Press 1 for english.
Press 5 for more options.
Press 5 again for cancel account.
Enter your account number.
When a csr answers, tell them you want to cancel your account, and the reason is because you already have another account.
It will be closed promptly and that's it. Takes like 3 minutes or less, and 100% success rate, just like applying over the phone.
I usually wait a week before applying again (gives me time to think about new enrollments and buying strategies, etc), but you can most likely apply the next day if you want.
Old 10-02-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by deepsen
Is there a cool off period for recycling accounts? I sent a mail to close my account on yesterday (Sunday) night EST and got an confirmation mail on today (Monday) morning 8 AM EST (Yes, thats right). I have another fulfilled account that i will be closing in a week or 2. Planning to open a new one tonight...Is it advisable? or should i wait for some time?
The short answer is "we don't know".

Some have been able to apply right away after canceling an account and get accepted. Others can apply off and on for months and not get accepted. Why this is so is not known but we have a tendency to see patterns where none exist and assume that if it worked once it will work again. This is not the case with Columbia House.

When applying for new accounts, just about everything is a crapshoot. What we CAN say, with confidence, is that web applications are problematic but phone applications have a high success rate. However, there are only two or three good enrollment codes that work on the phone and the only number to use is 888-242-3837. [Notice that this is not the same as the phone numbers that are used for general club business.] EBP has been reported to not work on the phone lately but 98W seems to work and there is a report that 59H works.
Old 10-02-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question. I placed an order last week and my order is still "pending". How long does it take for them to ship?

I chose the Bill Me option, is that the problem?
Old 10-02-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Question. I placed an order last week and my order is still "pending". How long does it take for them to ship?

I chose the Bill Me option, is that the problem?

It all depends. I usually get mine in a little more than a week. My status usually doesn't change until the day I get it though. Usually I will get an email saying it has been shipped on the same day I recieve the package.
Old 10-03-07, 08:31 AM

OK, so I recently changed addresses to a new place in the same zip code as my old address and got approved for a new account. At my old address, I usually would get my intro package in less than a week.

My latest intro package shipped on 9/21, and I have yet to see it. I called CH and they said to allow up to four weeks for delivery?!?

So my question is, what's the longest anyone's ever had to wait for a shipment to arrive from CH?
Old 10-03-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Media mail can vary in delivery times because at each node in the system it has the lowest priority. But a long wait for a package may mean that the package was lost or stolen.

Columbia House will nearly always make one wait 4 weeks before shipping a replacement package because they know that delayed packages do happen.
Old 10-03-07, 03:22 PM

Right, thanks. Like I said, I just moved to a new address where there's a lot of foot traffic so it's possible it came and someone swiped it before I got home from work. *sigh*
Old 10-03-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone ever tried having accounts at more than one address? I have two accounts open at one address, but now I have a new address in a different state. Is there any danger to opening accounts there too, as long as I use a payment method that isn't already attached to any Columbia House accounts or my original address? What about actively cycling accounts at both addresses? I'm sure I'm being paranoid, but I thought I'd ask before I try it.
Old 10-04-07, 05:41 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
Has anyone ever tried having accounts at more than one address? I have two accounts open at one address, but now I have a new address in a different state. Is there any danger to opening accounts there too, as long as I use a payment method that isn't already attached to any Columbia House accounts or my original address? What about actively cycling accounts at both addresses? I'm sure I'm being paranoid, but I thought I'd ask before I try it.
I don't think there would be any problems whatsoever with that. I doubt CH would even for a second think you were the one and same. The only way they might notice something is if you used the same credit/debit card to pay for everything, but even then that is the longest of long shots.

Go ahead and have fun cycling accounts
Old 10-04-07, 08:53 AM

Yeah, my parents live near me and I've got an account at their address and at my own address and have encountered no problems so far.
Old 10-04-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hamlet CC is still "awaiting stock" since I placed the order on 9/6. Should I assume they no longer have it and if I call them about it will they allow me to substitute something else for it (it was a freebie title during a B1G1)? Lastly, any recommendations on a comparably priced title? (trying to get the best bargain ie: a high priced title elsewhere like DD)
Old 10-04-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Hamlet CC is still "awaiting stock" since I placed the order on 9/6. Should I assume they no longer have it and if I call them about it will they allow me to substitute something else for it (it was a freebie title during a B1G1)? Lastly, any recommendations on a comparably priced title? (trying to get the best bargain ie: a high priced title elsewhere like DD)
any of the other criterions would be a good deal...i'd recommend 8 1/2 if you don't already have it.
Old 10-04-07, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=467827
Old 10-04-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just applied via phone and i didn't get offered the $25 applebees gift certificate thing...has anyone not been offered this before? did they get rid of it?
Old 10-04-07, 10:26 PM

Just applied again using my brothers address, so hopefully it gets approved. How completely and utterly addictive this has been. Fun though
Old 10-05-07, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
just applied via phone and i didn't get offered the $25 applebees gift certificate thing...has anyone not been offered this before? did they get rid of it?
I apply on the phone exclusively, not sure I recall any offer like that, although I don't pay much attention to those offers, I always decline them. The only ones I remember are offers for Great Fun and other stuff like that.
Old 10-05-07, 11:20 AM

Is the Day of the Dead featured as an enrollment selection the 1 or 2-disc set?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Droog

Thanks in advance.
The 2 discer.
Old 10-05-07, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Droog

Thanks in advance.
It says it's the 2-disc, it's the only version they seem to carry. I got it from them a while back right after it came out. You should be all set.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.