Reload this Page >

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Old 11-16-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

I can't get any of the phone numbers listed in the beginning of this topic (888-467-7404, 800-262-2001, and 800-667-0364). Is there a better number to call about returning an incorrect shipment?
Old 11-26-12, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else getting

Error page exception
The server cannot use the error page specified for your application to handle the Original Exception printed below. Please see the Error Page Exception below for a description of the problem with the specified error page.

when they go on this site
Old 03-14-13, 07:28 AM

How do you remove the current offer from the columbia house website? It makes the DVDs come below the price I need to pay in order to fulfill my commitment but I don't know how to get rid of it, I also need to know how to get the offer code from an email so that I may apply it to the website myself, thanks.
Old 03-14-13, 08:08 AM

I used to call Customer Service and ask them to place the order at the commitment price.
Old 03-19-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandyk67
How do you remove the current offer from the columbia house website? It makes the DVDs come below the price I need to pay in order to fulfill my commitment but I don't know how to get rid of it, I also need to know how to get the offer code from an email so that I may apply it to the website myself, thanks.
Unlike Disney Movie Club the price that counts towards fulfillment at CH is *typically* the "Club Price" and *not* the discount price. There *are* exceptions so be careful. The exceptions seem to be those titles which have a "Club Price" higher than $19.95 *but* have a "everyday" price of under $19.95 (The Hercules and Xena TV seasons are examples). I've not tested that scenario which is why I indicate caution for such titles. If the "regular/normal" price is typically higher than the $19.95 minimum and a sale code takes it lower it will still count as a fulfillment (at least that's how they've operated in the past). So... if you're attempting to order a title that, without code, sells for $21.95 and a code takes it down to $18.95 it will still count as a fulfillment. Titles receiving a discount (% or free) based on the purchase of a full priced selection do *not* count towards fulfillment no matter what their original or sale price may have been.

As far as offer codes from emails, just click through the email. The code *should* be viewable (to copy for later if desired) in the code box on the shopping cart page. If it's a "default" code for your account you'll not see it in the cart and will have to call to place an order without it. Such "default" codes will be present just by logging in.
Old 03-21-13, 06:43 PM

At the CH Logon screen the following message is posted "Please Note: Pending site updates will require you to utilize an email address in place of a username to login. If you currently login with a non-email username, we encourage you to update your username to an email address now." I have 2 accounts and 1 e-mail address, how will I get to the 2'nd account when this is implemented?
Old 03-22-13, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD-Obsession
At the CH Logon screen the following message is posted "Please Note: Pending site updates will require you to utilize an email address in place of a username to login. If you currently login with a non-email username, we encourage you to update your username to an email address now." I have 2 accounts and 1 e-mail address, how will I get to the 2'nd account when this is implemented?
Get another email address for the second account. They are free all over the web. Your ISP may offer secondary accounts with your internet subscription *or* "sub/throw-away" accounts linked to your main one. Mine does both. I just generate a new "sub" account anytime I need a new one. It is linked to my secondary account and all email comes into a single account and can be filtered so I know which sub account got the email.

Sounds like they are trying to make it more difficult to cycle accounts. They already claim multiple accounts create problems for them and many people have had issues in the past using the same email address on a current account when trying to open new accounts.

**SPECULATION**
I can see them checking a application email address against old accounts and simply saying "We see you've had an account with us before. Because of this we can't give you a 'New Member' account but will reactivate your old account. Click here to agree and continue." during the application process. Of course you wouldn't get the new user/account package nor have to fulfill as that account was fulfilled when "closed" but they *might* give a "welcome back" bonus of some type.
**SPECULATION**

Last edited by BobO'Link; 03-22-13 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-22-13, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

If a CH and a CH TV account both have the same email address, that should be OK since you login at different pages, right?
Old 04-19-13, 09:40 PM

Can blu-ray titles, such as "The Hurt Locker" & "The Book of Eli," with club prices of $19.95 each, and discount prices (after 40% off) of $11.97 count toward commitment fulfillment?
Old 06-24-14, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about to go to the mattresses with CH.

I've been emailing them about an issue with a balance on my account. Issue is, my bank says the payments for my DVD shipments have be debited from my account. Columbia House says I owe the money. When I have emailed them, all I receive in response are itemized reminders of what I owe them.

Is there some "magic term" I need to include in my emails that will make someone who might actually resolve this issue pay attention? I've thought that - if this last attempt at contact proves fruitless - I'll just tell them that they need to go ahead & send my account to collections, where then I can dispute the charges and win some resolve, and, while I have their attention, someone there can also go ahead and cancel my account, as I'm getting to the point where, regardless of the resolution offered (good/bad), I'm having a hard time convincing myself to remain their customer or to ever reunite with their service in the future.

I hate trifles like this. I really do. Couldn't come at a worse time for me, personally.

Any feedback you guys may have would be appreciated.
Old 06-24-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Maybe it would be better resolved over the phone?
Old 06-25-14, 01:34 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

This is actually an all to common problem at CH. They basically tell you to fax proof when you call them and it takes months to hear back from them after you fax them. They are very incompetent. I wanted to not be a customer of theirs forever. But those darn ten dollar coupons entice me too much.

Some people have had luck messaging columbia house on their facebook page to resolve similar problems so you could try that. I just remembered.

Last edited by g; 06-25-14 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-26-14, 01:07 PM

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-20-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate the Great
I'm about to go to the mattresses with CH.
Funny you should say it like that, since they turned the old customer service call center in Terre Haute into a furniture store several years ago.

Spoiler:

Last edited by The Infidel; 11-20-14 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-18-15, 07:44 PM

Are Columbia House and the Disney Movie Club related in any business manner? While fighting the battle with Columbia House (as I mentioned above), my credit card on file with them had expired. If I order movies from Disney, I don't want Columbia House to use that money from a new card to pay my alleged balance that is still supposedly under investigation (where they charged my account but still claimed I was delinquent).
Old 02-06-24, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Not a question, but something weird and maybe a heads-up:
I've had a stagnant CH membership for a few years now, ever since getting a deal on the Friday the 13th box set.
I haven't had to respond to Director's Selection in all that time.
Today I got an email "Respond to Director's Selection by 2/26 or we'll ship it to you."
Clicked in to the email, it said "You do not have to respond".
Click the DS, it says "You must accept or decline, if you do nothing, we'll send it to you, and charge you $3.00 more."
So 26.00 plus shipping for some no-name horror DVD I've never heard of, and a lack of clarity if I even need to respond (and it doesn't give me an option to Reject.).
It might be an erroneous email, or maybe not.
Since I haven't ordered anything from them in just over ten years, I'm probably safe to cancel.
Old 02-06-24, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

Got the same e-mails today. Went ahead and clicked the cancel button on both of my accounts. I sure got some good deals many years ago.
Old 02-06-24, 03:34 PM

The last email I got was Friday 2/2/24 for a BOGO "sale." I tend to just delete their emails when I get them now and again. Not finding anything about needing to reply to the Director's Selection.

Logged into my account and the main page says "You do not need to respond to the Director's Selections" (wow, I remember asking them to set that up years ago).

I actually tend to forget I am still a member, haha, until I get a random "sale" email from them (which typically goes into my Junk Mail folder by default).
Old 02-06-24, 04:23 PM

For anyone who got the email saying you had to accept or decline even though you are set up to not have to do so ... I noticed the same behavior as described.

If I login, it says I don't have to respond - and then if you click the title of the Director's Selection, it says:

Reminder!

If you do not accept or decline by the reply date, you will be automatically shipped a Director's Selection and charged $3 more than the member price listed above.
I believe it's just the poor programming Columbia House's website was always known for ... when I log out of my account, if I click the details of the same title (while logged out) it still says it is the Director's Selection and has the same warning for someone not even logged in.
Of course if I get the email saying I need to respond (I've received nothing like that yet), I'll probably just cancel the membership (I think I last purchased in 2011).
Old 02-06-24, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 369 Likes on 269 Posts

I had no idea that Columbia House still has a club. LOL I assumed this was a bump from a spammer.
The following users liked this post:
BobO'Link (02-07-24)
Old 02-06-24, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

I think I had accounts for Columbia and BMG before I had email lol
Old 02-06-24, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

If you click on your account, it lists your purchases. My last purchase from them was over 10 years ago.
Old 02-07-24, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had no idea they were still operating one of their clubs! I had both CH and BMG *years* ago for CD deals but both shuttered. IIRC I never had a DVD/BR club membership (the "deals" just weren't there).
Old 02-07-24, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

It’s been a long time since I’ve thought about Columbia House or BMG. Got some good deals back in the day. The last club I belonged to was Disney Movie Club but I quit that probably about ten years ago.
Old 02-09-24, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Hrm. Got one of these, too. Ended up in my GMail spam folder so I didn't see it.

Joined the Columbia DVD Club ages ago and switched my membership over to where they wouldn't ship my selection of the month automatically. Never bothered to cancel my membership.

Wonder if I should do anything with this e-mail, or wait and see what happens. I don't think I have my old password anymore, but I can probably have them reset it or e-mail it to me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.