DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SMART-ASS
1)How do you know it hasn't shipped. Info in your online order history is unreliable if that is your source. More often than not, customers receive their order BEFORE they receive the shipping notice.
Because I called CS and she cancelled it while I was on the phone with her.
Old 11-27-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
I haven't had an open account in quite some time, but want to get a new one open. When you have to get the enrollments, are they allowing blu-ray discs yet or is it strictly dvds?
Please check out this thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/5...usly-read.html
(especially the second page)

The Blu-ray Disc club isn't the greatest but there may be better enrollment deals to come. Columbia House has added dozens of BDs to their catalog in recent days and it seems clear that they plan to push the format in a big way.

Columbia House currently carries 396 Blu-ray Disc titles.

Last edited by lizard; 11-27-08 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-28-08, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just on another computer which had a couple of passwords to previously closed accounts, one of them was still active. Although I have no idea if I could still place orders on it. Anyway, could these quasi open accounts be the reason I or others seem to have apps lost, the app reviewer/CSR thinks there are too many open accounts?

Has anybody noticed a link between these accounts and how they were closed?
Old 11-28-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lost apps thing started way, way before the site redesign. Once the new CH site came up, many people's old accounts were accessible. I can still log into some of mine, and I did successfully place regular orders in one, and FC orders in two of them. They never have Director's Selections offered, and just sit there.

I have 4 open accounts right now, and I have 5 others I can log into (3 TV and 2 regular). My last approval was in the last month for the regular club, and I had a TV club using the HDL code approved a few months ago (after the new CH site had been up for a while).

So, I can't say for sure that it is not a contributing factor, but I have not noticed any difference in success with online apps since those old closed accounts became accessible again.

I have tried different ways of closing accounts. I used to use the option on the site, which I think is gone now. I have also used the "contact us" option and requested they close my account there, which has worked. And I've phoned in the last few.
Old 12-01-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVDGamer
How do we get our free dvds with purchase made in November? If there is a B1G1 code, wouldn't we get a b1g2 instead with our purchase in November?
No. Last I checked, the supposed "free DVD" was actually a B1G1F code. So, to get your free DVD you have to buy another one, same as we do all the time at Columbia House.

For regular customers this deal might be attractive because they don't get B1G1F deals very often. But for those of us here, it isn't useful.

This may have changed, I haven't checked it since they first did the promotion several months ago. If anyone knows something different, please say so.
Old 12-01-08, 03:31 PM

I placed an order during B1G4 madness like 7 months ago and my B1 was Constantine Blu-ray that was pre-order at that time. They kept delaying the release date and CH put my order on hold. I emailed them about this like 7 times. My account was showing as that i completed the fulfillment. A week ago F'n CH charged me for $25.99, Suspended my account and sent me an email stating that my order is canceled. When I emailed them explaining situation they shoot me an email back telling me that I did not honor the agreement and bought the last DVD that i needed to buy but they are sending me a certificate for a free DVD as a courtesy of my $25.99 payment which just arrived today. It is the worst selection and I have to pay shipping and processing on it. I emailed them 3 times about it and got the same respond about how they are sending me a free DVD certificate. I am about to loose it.
Old 12-01-08, 04:11 PM

Newbie poster, been a lurker for a while. CH emailed me a decent re-join offer (6 free = 1 now at $9.95, only 2 more to fulfill) and I am thinking about it. Having been with the club in many years and hated the auto-mailings, etc.. My questions are this:

1. I want to get Singin; in the Rain and other classics for the wife- they say format is "Standard", and Amazon shows format is 1.33 (4:3), so that makes sense. But how often does CH's "Standard/Full Screen" label really mean something? I don't really want to have to worry that much about getting crappy full-screen versions of the greats just to get a few cheap DVDs. Am I worrying about nothing?

2. Does that offer I described above sound good to you folks? Seems like it's a good deal all the way around to me, but I bow to your experience as always. Figuring on doing this tomorrow, so if you could reply at your leisure between now and then I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks a lot, please kindly refer me to another thread/area if appropriate...
Deacon
Old 12-01-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Deacon
Newbie poster, been a lurker for a while. CH emailed me a decent re-join offer (6 free = 1 now at $9.95, only 2 more to fulfill) and I am thinking about it. Having been with the club in many years and hated the auto-mailings, etc.. My questions are this:

1. I want to get Singin; in the Rain and other classics for the wife- they say format is "Standard", and Amazon shows format is 1.33 (4:3), so that makes sense. But how often does CH's "Standard/Full Screen" label really mean something? I don't really want to have to worry that much about getting crappy full-screen versions of the greats just to get a few cheap DVDs. Am I worrying about nothing?

2. Does that offer I described above sound good to you folks? Seems like it's a good deal all the way around to me, but I bow to your experience as always. Figuring on doing this tomorrow, so if you could reply at your leisure between now and then I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks a lot, please kindly refer me to another thread/area if appropriate...
Deacon
1. singin in the rain is supposed to be 4:3

2. yep that's the best deal you can get.
Old 12-01-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the aspect ratios at CH. They do carry widescreen and "fool"screen versiond of tons of dvds. However, it is usually obvious in the title listing that you are ordering the either the widescreen or pan_n_scan version. You just have to read.
Just as riotinmyskull already said, SItR is supposed to be 1.33:1 aspect ratio. That is the ratio is was produced in. Many of the older classic movies made before the 1960s are 1.33:1. They were made before Cinemascope was even thought of yet.
Old 12-02-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^1960s?! A bit of history for you young guys: widescreen movies were introduced in the '50s because movie studios were afraid of the impact on ticket sales by the wildly popular newfangled device called "Television". They wanted to make the theater experience different from the "tube", which had adopted the 4:3 Academy Standard aspect ratio.

While 4:3 movies continued to be produced in the '50s and into the '60s, many of the big productions were done in the various widescreen formats in the 1950s. Examples include:

The Robe (1953) [2.20:1, 2.55:1]
20000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) [2.55:1]
On the Waterfront (1954) [1.85:1]
Mister Roberts (1955) [2.55:1]
The Searchers (1956) [1.75:1]
The Ten Commandments (1956) [1.85:1]
and The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) [2.55:1]
Ben Hur (1959) [2.76:1]

The move was quite successful and movie-going remained quite popular, despite the time spent at home watching TV by so many.
Old 12-02-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lizard
^1960s?!
He did say MANY.
Old 12-02-08, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info! I did rejoin after reading what you guys had to say. Got 7 2-disc sets for $12.95, only need to buy two more. I thought that was a great deal, so I appreciate the comments.

Thanks,
Deacon
Old 12-02-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You paid $.06 too much!

It *is* a great deal.

Now pay attention to the Sale Codes thread for the best ways to fulfill the account. Don't just go buying 2 DVDs at regular price with shipping costs. At least use a B1G1 with free shipping code. Sale codes are regularly posted in there by thejester (thank you!) and sometimes LKRUNNELS (thank you, too!), and are sometimes discovered by other people, too.
Old 12-02-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
He did say MANY.
Yes, but Lizard is correct.

Saying *MOST* would be more accurate as CinemaScope was introduced to the public in 1953 with "The Robe". Prior to that there was only a handful of films that were *not* done in the 4:3 Academy Standard aspect ratio, and these were mostly experimental projects that received limited distribution due to the expense of converting a theatre to a new format. Anamorphoscope, the process that evolved into CinemaScope, was developed and patented in the late 1920s. It was later purchased by Twentieth Century Fox who abandoned their own Fox Grandeur 70mm widescreen film format they had experimented with from 1929-1931.

Even then CinemaScope was a grand experiment. Since many theaters of the day were not equipped to show a CinemaScope film, two versions of "The Robe" were made: one in the 4:3 Academy standard, the other in the widescreen process. This was also done with other early WS films to maximize exposure/profits.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 12-02-08 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-02-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
^1960s?! A bit of history for you young guys: widescreen movies were introduced in the '50s because movie studios were afraid of the impact on ticket sales by the wildly popular newfangled device called "Television". They wanted to make the theater experience different from the "tube", which had adopted the 4:3 Academy Standard aspect ratio.

While 4:3 movies continued to be produced in the '50s and into the '60s, many of the big productions were done in the various widescreen formats in the 1950s. Examples include:

The Robe (1953) [2.20:1, 2.55:1]
20000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) [2.55:1]
On the Waterfront (1954) [1.85:1]
Mister Roberts (1955) [2.55:1]
The Searchers (1956) [1.75:1]
The Ten Commandments (1956) [1.85:1]
and The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) [2.55:1]
Ben Hur (1959) [2.76:1]

The move was quite successful and movie-going remained quite popular, despite the time spent at home watching TV by so many.
Indeed. I'm well aware of the history of widescreen filming. I was just generaling, as widescreen was not hiting mainstream till the 60s.
Thanks for the info though.
Old 12-03-08, 09:39 PM

Does anybodies B1G2 order canceled or account is suspended? I placed an order with the
B1G2 and I got an email saying that my order is processed but no shipping confirmation. I emailed them 3 days ago and got this respond today:
Thank you for your e-mail message.

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience you have experienced.

Our records indicate that we canceled your DVD Club membership because
it was no longer in good standing. We cannot accept additional orders on
this account.

WTH? It was an unfulfilled account and I had $12.XX in that account.

My TV club B1G2 order also canceled and they charged my 2 different cc twice ???
Old 12-03-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by melih69
Does anybodies B1G2 order canceled or account is suspended? I placed an order with the
B1G2 and I got an email saying that my order is processed but no shipping confirmation. I emailed them 3 days ago and got this respond today:

this account.

My TV club B1G2 order also canceled and they charged my 2 different cc twice ???
I placed a bunch of orders with the B1G2 and my accounts are still open and nothing got canceled. My only issues were an order duplicated in my order history (but never shipped or charged) and I had one freebie go out of stock and disappear (which isn't even worth fighting over). Everything else has been perfect.

By the way, you might want to delete your duplicate post of this in the sale thread. No point in having the same discussion in two places.
Old 12-03-08, 10:27 PM
Cool New Member

I placed an order during B1G4 madness like 7 months ago and my B1 was Constantine Blu-ray that was pre-order at that time. They kept delaying the release date and CH put my order on hold. I emailed them about this like 7 times. My account was showing as that i completed the fulfillment. A week ago F'n CH charged me for $25.99, Suspended my account and sent me an email stating that my order is canceled. When I emailed them explaining situation they shoot me an email back telling me that I did not honor the agreement and bought the last DVD that i needed to buy but they are sending me a certificate for a free DVD as a courtesy of my $25.99 payment which just arrived today. It is the worst selection and I have to pay shipping and processing on it. I emailed them 3 times about it and got the same respond about how they are sending me a free DVD certificate. I am about to loose it.

this account.

Its quite obvious that your B1G4 has made your accounts no longer in good standing.

Last edited by pipemann; 12-03-08 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-04-08, 10:05 AM

this account.

Actually, I used the B1G2 code and received all 3 of my items. Ordered a Blu ray for the qualifier and 2 DVDs for the freebies. Arrived rather quickly and my acct is still alive. That sucks for you, though.
Old 12-04-08, 11:13 AM

Funcash question

Quick question. I placed an order with funcash for two movies. The order went through, charged my card for the $4.98 shipping and left me with $2 in funcash. Today, I notice they duplicated the order, charged me another $4.98 and my Funcash in -$48.00. Anybody experienced this before and know how they are gonna handle it. I don't look forward to having to call them. Thanks for any advice/info.
Old 12-04-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^
With Funcash, that always happens, and will clear up as soon as the order is shipped. That's why you have to be careful when using funcash near the end of the year. You can actually lock yourself out of using a remaining balance, after placing an order using a portion of your funcash balance. Especially if a title is on backorder or something.

So reminder people, when using up your funcash this month, make ONE(1) BIG order. Don't split them up.

Of course, if this is something slightly different for you, if they actually charged your credit card (don't believe the CH site, check your CC statement online), then that's a different issue, but I'd still wait a few days for things to clear up. You always gotta give it a few days before worrying about anything.
Old 12-04-08, 11:51 AM

CH has a go paperless promo and get a dvd free. Are you able to choose any dvd or is this just a limited selection of dvds? I tried to look at the details but it will ask you to choose paperless option first before you can select your dvds. If it is a selection, do we have a list? Thanks.
Old 12-04-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know. But don't you have to "buy" one to get your free one? Usually how these offers work.
Old 12-04-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just posted about that in the Enrollment Codes thread. Check the most recent posts there. I copied Starman9000's list and made some slght modifications to it to alphabetize it. There are 50 different DVDs.
Old 12-04-08, 12:00 PM

That's okay, I was hoping to use the B1G1 promo with the paperless to basically get a B1G2. This is actually my follow up question. Will this work?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.