Reload this Page >

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Old 04-29-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^
you may get neither. Prepare to wait up to 3 weeks to see if the dvds arrive. Don't signup again with the same titles unless you know for sure you haven't been approved.

If you sign up with a credit card, you can monitor your account for the actual charge from CH. That is the best way to see if you're accepted.
Old 04-29-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mnementh
I tried signing up for a 2nd active account but still haven't heard a peep. How long should I wait to receive a confirmation message or a denial?
If you haven't heard anything in two weeks the application is probably "lost" (disappears without a trace) or rejected (you will eventually get rejection postcard). My sense is that Columbia House has become less willing to approve second accounts, but it is hard to know for sure.

If you applied on-line, you might want to try a phone application next time. Only a few enrollment codes work on the phone and they rarely send acceptance e-mails, but the success rate is much higher on the phone. Possible working 7:2 phone enrollment codes may include 98W, 59H, 75X, 75Y, 76C, 76W. The phone number for phone applications is 888-242-3837. [I've seen no reports from anyone trying the 6:1 code B9V on the phone.]
Old 05-07-08, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
^People also don't like the "Director's Selections" and think that they will have to return them each month. Many haven't yet come to the realization that they can be declined on-line with a couple of mouse clicks.
I'm not seeing the option or section for declining? Also, I recently jumped in the B2G1 BD sale, 2 titles said it counted toward fulfillment but my account still shows I need to fulfill it. Does it only go through when the order ships?
Old 05-07-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MJG87
I'm not seeing the option or section for declining? Also, I recently jumped in the B2G1 BD sale, 2 titles said it counted toward fulfillment but my account still shows I need to fulfill it. Does it only go through when the order ships?
When you log into the site look to the right. You'll see a "Director's Selection" heading. If it says "You have no Director's Selections to respond to" then you're fine for the month. If there's a title listed you need to click through and you'll be given the option to accept, decline or choose an alternate title. There should be no way to miss it.

As for the second question, you're assumption is correct. You will not be given credit for a fulfillment until you're charged for the title.
Old 05-07-08, 09:53 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I figured I'd ask it here rather than create a new topic.

Well last week April 30th to be exact I placed and order via Phone and I still haven't heard anything regarding it. I've had an account before but I don't remember it taking more than a week. Then again before I'd use expiediant shipping and processing.

Also this was a pretty big order $120.xx after processing and shipping. Should I call them and find out what the deal is?
Old 05-08-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts
^Does the order show up on your account on the web?

Have you received email confirmation about placing the order?

If the answer to both is "no" then a call to reassure yourself might be in order, especially if it was placed using a code that is expiring.

If the order shows up on the web and you're expecting it to already be at your door, give it some more time. Most orders placed online take one to three weeks to show up depending on availability and closeness to the warehouse doing the shipping. I would expect phone orders to be similar.
Old 05-08-08, 01:50 PM

The order shows up on my account screen. However the e-mail response I got said I need to make a prepayment in order for it to ship. They didn't tell me this when I placed the order. So I think I'm just going to call and find out what the deal is.
Old 05-08-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^If this is a fairly new account there is only so much product CH will ship without pre-payment. Based on your comment I'm assuming you are on "bill me" which is the hold up. You'll get a postcard requesting that you mail payment before they'll ship the order. Based on personal experience with this, you will not be able to pay online as it does not show up as a balance due amount since the order has not shipped. Also do *not* try to call and pay if you used *any* type of code. The CS rep will probably screw it up since they have to "cancel" the existing order and "re-enter" it before accepting payment via a CC as they have the same limitations on the account as you have (shows the order but no balance due as it has not yet shipped).

So... short version... wait for the card requesting payment and send a check or cancel the order and place it online pre-paying for it with a CC .
Old 05-09-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Well said, BobO'Link.
Old 05-09-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[Moved here from Sale Offer Code thread.]
Originally Posted by SMART-ASS
Originally Posted by bloopbleep
the funny thing is even with the great codes, most dvds are worthless, has anyone seen the prices on dvds? the major retailors are almost giving them away and blu-rays also are pretty cheap on ebay. the movie industry is about to begin experiencing what the music industry has been going thru for the last 5 years. technology has finally caught up and with Broadband 2.0 starting to begin things will change even faster.
Cheap dvds?... maybe the old catalog single disc releases and the WM dump bin.
Cheap Blu-rays?... not sure what you consider cheap. All my BRs I've gotten for an average price of around $13, but I've had to shop my ass off to get those prices. Ebay prices are more in the $18-$20 range... not cheap IMO. Blu-ray players are also outragously priced still.
I have never downloaded a movie and I don't know anyone who has.
Entirely agree. Most people are still paying high prices for new release DVDs, although catalog titles can be had fairly inexpensively if one can find them on sale. And Blu-ray Discs are still very high priced most places since the demise of the BOGOF sales at Amazon in early January. And I keep a close eye on deals for those. I also have done a lot of selling of BDs (from the aforementioned Amazon sales) and the prices at Half.com and Amazon Marketplace are still pretty high, although I don't pay any attention to eBay prices because auctions are way too much trouble for me.

And BD player prices are absurd. Two years into the format and the least expensive full-featured player has an MSRP of $600, but isn't out yet. The least expensive Profile 2.0 machine (but not full-featured) is a $400 video game machine.

Columbia House is still a good deal for DVDs (and BDs if a decent sale offer can be found). The current average DVD cost for a B9V membership is $3.99, using routine BOGOF plus free shipping sale offers. Or less, if CH forgets to charge shipping on the delayed enrollments. I had a B9V enrollment approved last week, to my surprise (I had no other regular DVD club accounts open, FWIW). So, the code works.

Last edited by lizard; 05-09-08 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-09-08, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^If this is a fairly new account there is only so much product CH will ship without pre-payment. Based on your comment I'm assuming you are on "bill me" which is the hold up. You'll get a postcard requesting that you mail payment before they'll ship the order. Based on personal experience with this, you will not be able to pay online as it does not show up as a balance due amount since the order has not shipped. Also do *not* try to call and pay if you used *any* type of code. The CS rep will probably screw it up since they have to "cancel" the existing order and "re-enter" it before accepting payment via a CC as they have the same limitations on the account as you have (shows the order but no balance due as it has not yet shipped).

So... short version... wait for the card requesting payment and send a check or cancel the order and place it online pre-paying for it with a CC .
Thanks for the help the account is pretty new less than a month old but what I did was called up cancelled most of my order and except for two things so if I get a card in for those two thing I'm going to pay $50 on it which is over half the bill and then pay the rest shortly.
Old 05-09-08, 09:33 PM

I have a question. I have an active account and I just finished fulfilling it. I tried to sign up for a second account while keeping the active one open. But after I finished the checkout I got a confirmation page but I never received an email with the confirmation of the titles I selected. Its been a couple weeks and I haven't gotten any emails about that new account or received the titles. Has anyone here not gotten an email when they applied but ended up getting approved or getting their titles?
Old 05-09-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jigen75
I have a question. I have an active account and I just finished fulfilling it. I tried to sign up for a second account while keeping the active one open. But after I finished the checkout I got a confirmation page but I never received an email with the confirmation of the titles I selected. Its been a couple weeks and I haven't gotten any emails about that new account or received the titles. Has anyone here not gotten an email when they applied but ended up getting approved or getting their titles?
if you're credit card has not been charged then more than likely you're application was "lost". i'd apply again and since it's been a couple weeks you should be fine applying with the same selections.
Old 05-10-08, 03:30 AM

I have a couple of questions. Maybe one or two of your will have had experience with these and know the answer i'm looking for.

1. In the stickied codes thread at the top, one of the codes is this:
801888 - b1 + 60% off + FREE S&H (Even "3 for $23")
I've looked around quite a bit and can't find the answer to this. How do you do "3 for $23"? However, If it happens to be one of those not-quite-legit methods of monkeying with their system, I'd rather not know.

2. When paying with a credit card: If you select the "Use this new credit card for this payment only.", do they honestly not keep your card info? I'd rather they not have that info to use against me if I encounter one of those problems people sometimes do. You know, things like them rearranging your order and messing up what you owe.
Old 05-10-08, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rmcarthur
I have a couple of questions. Maybe one or two of your will have had experience with these and know the answer i'm looking for.

1. In the stickied codes thread at the top, one of the codes is this:
801888 - b1 + 60% off + FREE S&H (Even "3 for $23")
I've looked around quite a bit and can't find the answer to this. How do you do "3 for $23"? However, If it happens to be one of those not-quite-legit methods of monkeying with their system, I'd rather not know.
The 3/$23 is an expired deal that was on one of the banners several weeks ago. It comes around several times per year in various forms/amounts. The current incarnation is a 2/$25 SE deal and should be a banner on the "home" page and/or a deal link in your cart. The 801888 code may be active again and, if so, may have different details but I don't know. You need to work backwards from the last post in the code thread to find the most recent list of active codes and deal discussions.

2. When paying with a credit card: If you select the "Use this new credit card for this payment only.", do they honestly not keep your card info? I'd rather they not have that info to use against me if I encounter one of those problems people sometimes do. You know, things like them rearranging your order and messing up what you owe.
That is correct. The information will be used only for that transaction only. Just don't get in a hurry (like I did) and cause it to "stick" by forgetting to check that box. If you do (or not), another course of action is to use a "limited use" CC number and set the amount on the card for double the purchase amount (double because, in my experience, CH "dings" the account for the full amount first which appears to remove credit from the card without an actual charge and then follows this temporary charge with the full one later). I've not been able to use a "one time" CC # with CH because of the way CH does the charge against the card. The temporary charge is not "turned into" a real charge like at other merchants, but a 2nd charge is sent through and the temporary one "falls off". With a "one time use" card this causes the card to be declined as a 2nd charge is being attempted. This is why you need a "limited use" number with double the dollar amount needed.
Old 05-10-08, 04:09 AM

Thanks for the info. That code does indeed work right now. I thought perhaps (3 for $23) involved some way of combining the code with ordering some combination of clearance/reduced dvds or something. I couldn't for the life of me calculate how one might arrive at twenty-three dollars while ordering 3 dvds and using that code at the same time.

As for that 2 for 25 dollar thing, it seems like nothing special. For those particular titles, it seems like you don't save any more than if you use a B1G1 /w free shipping code.

On a side note, I hate how they screw you over using "special prices". Take the Metalocalypse season one set for instance. It's 17.97 so it won't count as a fulfillment or trigger the Buy one part of a deal and it won't count as a free one for various reasons. I wish I could just elect to pay 2 more dollars and have it count as a fulfillment and trigger offers. I guess that's the point of "special price" though isn't it? It leaves you very little option other than buying it for listed price.

Last edited by rmcarthur; 05-10-08 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-10-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info. That code does indeed work right now. I thought perhaps (3 for $23) involved some way of combining the code with ordering some combination of clearance/reduced dvds or something. I couldn't for the life of me calculate how one might arrive at twenty-three dollars while ordering 3 dvds and using that code at the same time.

As for that 2 for 25 dollar thing, it seems like nothing special. For those particular titles, it seems like you don't save any more than if you use a B1G1 /w free shipping code.
Yeah, unless you could combine a B1G1 code with this to get a ~B1G2 it's not too good. It might combine with some of the other codes to get some OK deals (again, I haven't tried mainly 'cause I'm pretty tapped out with the past few CH codebusters deals and the current deals at DD) but nothing spectacular.
On a side note, I hate how they screw you over using "special prices". Take the Metalocalypse season one set for instance. It's 17.97 so it won't count as a fulfillment or trigger the Buy one part of a deal and it won't count as a free one for various reasons. I wish I could just elect to pay 2 more dollars and have it count as a fulfillment and trigger offers. I guess that's the point of "special price" though isn't it? It leaves you very little option other than buying it for listed price.
Sometimes a B1G1 code will work with these titles. Usually you must take a $14.95 or less title for the Free one, but sometimes they will work to get you a free title up to the "regular" price of the selection. According to a post in the "code" thread 802131 will currently get a free selection with a "special price" selection. You still pay shipping but this *can* be OK depending on what you order. You just have to do more price comparrison with other sites (amazon/dd/etc).
Old 05-10-08, 10:56 AM

I'm looking to use the TV deal offer where you buy 2 sets for $10 with 2 more commitments.

I want to buy Dexter and How I met your mother season 1. Now I'm wondering if I do this can I order the fulfillment right after this and cancel the account?

Can I get the two tv deals offered above, then purchase freaks and geeks for 40 and be done with it? About how much with shipping and taxes will this deal come out to be total? Also can I use a b1g1 free coupon from the forumsor do I have to wait for that deal to come around? Could I then purchases season 2 of dexter assuming they hvae it (where do I find a list of all available CH titles and prices)

Thanks
Old 05-10-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joecansee
I'm looking to use the TV deal offer where you buy 2 sets for $10 with 2 more commitments.

I want to buy Dexter and How I met your mother season 1. Now I'm wondering if I do this can I order the fulfillment right after this and cancel the account?
If your application to the TV Edition of the DVD club is accepted, you can order your fulfillments as soon as you get your account number. This should happen in your acceptance e-mail or when you get your enrollment package.
Can I get the two tv deals offered above, then purchase freaks and geeks for 40 and be done with it?
If the set you purchase has a "Special" price of $39.95 or more, it will count for two fulfillments and, therefore, complete your commitments for the account. You do NOT need to buy sets to fulfill your account. Any DVD of $19.95 or more will qualify for a fulfillment credit.

3350006 Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series is "special" priced at $41.97 currently, so it would count for two fulfillments.
About how much with shipping and taxes will this deal come out to be total?
There is no shipping on the enrollment sets. Shipping on a set purchased as a fulfillment is $5.99 for three discs, $6.99 for four discs, and $7.99 for five or more discs. Sales taxes depend on whether Columbia House has a physical presence in your state. CH does not charge sales tax in most states.
Also can I use a b1g1 free coupon from the forums or do I have to wait for that deal to come around?
If there is a B1G1F offer in effect, yes you can use it to get a free DVD with the fulfillment set you mentioned above. Sets can't be taken as freebies but can be used to qualify for a regular DVD (or two disc SE) as a freebie.
Could I then purchases season 2 of dexter assuming they hvae it (where do I find a list of all available CH titles and prices)

Thanks
You can find out what DVDs Columbia House carries by going to columbiahouse.com and clicking on the "Join Now" button for the regular DVD club in the center of the page and just searching for the titles that interest you; the search window is on the upper left side of the page. This method will not give you the sale price but will let you know what is available. Or you could go to the last posts in the data miner thread, at the top of the forum, for a link to a list that you can download into a spreadsheet.

Dexter Season 2 is not yet available from Columbia House. Since it is a box set, it could never be taken as a freebie in a B1G1F offer, if that was what you were thinking of doing.
Old 05-10-08, 12:22 PM

Regarding B1G1F, is it account specific, or can I just get a coupon code and apply it at checkout?

Typically how long does it take to get your application accepted
Old 05-10-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding B1G1F, is it account specific, or can I just get a coupon code and apply it at checkout?
Codes are not currently account specific. There is a box on the lower left of the "home" page when you sign in where you enter the code. You can see the results in your shopping cart prior to checkout.

Typically how long does it take to get your application accepted
Anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. I've read reports of 8 weeks and longer on occasion. Typically you'll know within a week or two if you've been accepted.
Old 05-12-08, 10:31 PM

Okay, so I just received Near Dark, a freebie from the lovely deal However, I open it up and instead of the disc 2 being there, in its place is Profit. I looked it up and Im assuming its the tv show with Adrian Pasdar in it. How weird, first time this has ever happened. Any idea if they will send me a replacement?
Old 05-12-08, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mazzystar
Okay, so I just received Near Dark, a freebie from the lovely deal However, I open it up and instead of the disc 2 being there, in its place is Profit. I looked it up and Im assuming its the tv show with Adrian Pasdar in it. How weird, first time this has ever happened. Any idea if they will send me a replacement?
Sure, just call and they'll ship you the correct title and a return label so you can send back the wrong one for free.

I just ordered Juno (BD) and got Shoot 'Em Up (BD).

Last edited by movielib; 05-13-08 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 12:33 PM

I had a question about returns as well.

I ordered Madagascar for the kids, but it skips. Can I exchange it free of charge, or do they make you pay shipping?

And secondly, does it have to be a straight up exchange? Turns out the kids wanted Over the Hedge. So can I exchange a skipping Madagascar for Over the Hedge or is it just a like-for-like exchange process?

In all my cycled accounts I have never had to exchange something, so thanks for the help.

Oh yeah, and is it easier to do this via e-mail or via phone?
Old 05-13-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by avoiceoreason
I had a question about returns as well.

I ordered Madagascar for the kids, but it skips. Can I exchange it free of charge, or do they make you pay shipping?

And secondly, does it have to be a straight up exchange? Turns out the kids wanted Over the Hedge. So can I exchange a skipping Madagascar for Over the Hedge or is it just a like-for-like exchange process?

In all my cycled accounts I have never had to exchange something, so thanks for the help.

Oh yeah, and is it easier to do this via e-mail or via phone?
If you call them (sometimes it is hard to get through, I haven't tried lately) it is likely that the CSR will tell you to throw away the defective disc and they will just send you a new one. This usually happens if it is the first return on an account. Otherwise, they will send the new one and, separately, a return label for returning the defective disc free of charge. It is pretty simple really.

E-mail would probably work the same way, but I haven't done returns that way. [email protected]

Edit: Before I forget, if CH decides to go the return label route, they will charge for the replacement disc. Then, when the returned disc is received, the account will be credited for the cost. If they tell you to throw out the defective disc, CH will usually credit your account the cost of the disc and then charge for the replacement. This has to do with internal CH bookkeeping, although it seems awkward and inefficient to customers.

(These questions come up a lot, so I figured I'd answer them before they get asked.)

Last edited by lizard; 05-13-08 at 02:12 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.