Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Watson2
I've had a perfered account for about 7 years having purchased 150+ disk with an average price of 10+. Last summer I stumbled onto this wonderful site and cycled 3 accounts (1 at a time while leaving my perfered account open) during the second half of '07, but since then I've been unable to get an new account open. I've tried using PSN from mailings, credit card and various 7:2 codes. I've haven't even got a rejection note, not one.

I perfer online, any suggestion? BTW, how long should I wait between tries? Is 10 days enough?

Thanks
I recommend applying over the phone (for me EST times before 3:00pm during the week gets me an english speaking csr, if that matters to you), and using a code that requires a PSN, and paying with a credit card. That pretty much covers all the stuff CH seems to "prefer". I'm 100%, knock on wood

Edit: By using a CC, you can monitor your account activity and look for the charge from CH. This will tell you if you've been accepted or not. If there is no charge after 2 weeks, apply again.

Last edited by basaro; 03-18-08 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-17-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had a few accounts over the years, usually without problems. I canceled one on 3/7. I can't login anymore (says account is closed) and on 3/17 I got a email about the director's selection. Obviously I can't decline. They gonna try to send or will it catch up that my account is closed and not bother?
Old 03-17-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
^You're OK. Once the account is closed and you can't log in you don't have to worry about the director's selection even if you get an email about one. It seems to take a week or two after an account is closed before the emails about sales, etc. stop.
Old 03-17-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pipemann
Has anyone had an order disappear from their "Order History"?

I mean I placed an order for the "$50 and Free Shipping" but it has disappear.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact I changed the shipping address for this order.
I had an order disappear last year that included a Pre-Order. I just ignored it, waiting to see what would happen. Then, about a month later (over two weeks after the Pre-Order had passed its release date), the 3 DVDs suddenly showed up back on my Order History, but as separate "mail" (not "web") orders, at different prices than I had originally orderd at, and each with full shipping charges (the code I had used was for free shipping on 3+). So, I had to call them to get it straightened out. My lesson: call them earlier to make sure things go OK, or call them later to try to fix it--either way, you're probably gonna wind up calling them, so you might as well do it earlier and make sure you get the right stuff for the right prices at the right time.
Old 03-18-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^The switching from a "web" to a "mail" order is caused by a Columbia House CSR re-entering the order. When they do that it is coded as a "mail" order even though the original was not. This information came from a former CSR.

When it happens, a screw-up by CH often follows because the replacement order doesn't have the deals used in the original.
Old 03-18-08, 01:16 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Cheato
I had an order disappear last year that included a Pre-Order. I just ignored it, waiting to see what would happen....
Yeah, my order included two Pre-Order; Wings 6th Season and I Am Legend. I kinda screw myself by making another order with the same titles, that order disappeared as well.

The odd thing is that sometimes when I log into the account, both orders will appear (with no total amount, but with numerous asterisks).

Other times, both order will disappear. It's like some sort of magic disappearance/computer glitch going on.
Old 03-28-08, 12:27 PM

Ive been applying for an account over the internet w/ no luck. Ive tried over the phone and i was excited to see a temp. charge of about $13 but my luck, that charge is gone. Since it is a phone app isthere a chance of it coming back or should I just reapply.
Old 03-28-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It sounds like you didn't get in.

Wait a few days, then sign up again with different selections.
Old 03-30-08, 01:19 PM

Can you pay for your DVD's using Paypal?
Or can you just pay with a credit card
Old 03-30-08, 01:40 PM

If you dont buy the 5 or I have 4 DVD's by 1 year what happens...
Old 03-30-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by moviehead21
ever seen hostel part 2?
Old 03-31-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by moviehead21
They typically send a bill for the full price of the remaining selections on your agreement. Once you've paid the bill they send you certificates to redeem for the selections. You'll do far better fulfilling with a code... now... After they bill you using a code is not an option.
Old 03-31-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lilpittsy601
Can you pay for your DVD's using Paypal?
Or can you just pay with a credit card
To the best of my knowledge Columbia House does not accept Pay Pal. You can pay with a credit card; most of us do it this way. Some choose "Bill Me" and pay with checks. The downside of this, besides the hassle of mailing payments, is that CH will sometimes hold a shipment until the bill is paid.
Old 03-31-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
They typically send a bill for the full price of the remaining selections on your agreement. Once you've paid the bill they send you certificates to redeem for the selections. You'll do far better fulfilling with a code... now... After they bill you using a code is not an option.
And if you don't pay the bill, Columbia House will refer the delinquent account to a collection agency.
Old 03-31-08, 01:23 PM
Cool New Member

Is there any event that ever occurs where we can get free shipping on Funcash items? Just wanted to check before I used some of my Funcash. Should I be waiting for something better with it? (want to use this before new Funcash rules begin in May)
Old 03-31-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^

You always have to pay shipping on FC orders.
Old 03-31-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by homern3d
Is there any event that ever occurs where we can get free shipping on Funcash items? Just wanted to check before I used some of my Funcash. Should I be waiting for something better with it? (want to use this before new Funcash rules begin in May)
There have been occasional "glitches" in which you could get really good deals on sets with FC. On a couple of occasions there have been sales on selected sets for $19.95 with shipping included in the price. You could use $10 FC on each of these making them $9.95 each shipped. That's the closest to free shipping I've seen on FC.

You might want to wait and see if a glitch hits before the rules change, but don't wait too long.
Old 04-02-08, 05:20 PM

Background:

I've had a CH account for 6+ years and have purchased 160+ dvds. Last summer I found out about account cycling, just got my 4th last week.

Question:

Instead of keeping the same account open year after year should I just keep the most recent open?

No perks in being a long standing customer?
Old 04-02-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know of any specific perks you get for being a long term customer. That said, I've always kept my first account open. I like to leave one account open at all times, may as well be the oldest. That way if there is, or ever should be, a bonus for older members I'll have an old account.
Old 04-03-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Not to mention that you always have a open account to take advantage of really good codes when you can't get another account opened to use said code to fulfill.
Old 04-04-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Watson2
Background:

I've had a CH account for 6+ years and have purchased 160+ dvds. Last summer I found out about account cycling, just got my 4th last week.

Question:

Instead of keeping the same account open year after year should I just keep the most recent open?

No perks in being a long standing customer?
The last time I had a new account approved, my old account was closed by Columbia House. I was quite surprised. Others have reported this happening also.

So far as I am aware, there are no perks to being a "Preferred Member". The 99¢ shipping we used to get is long gone.
Old 04-04-08, 08:42 PM

Has anybody signed up a friend and gotten 2 free DVDs? I assume you have to pay shipping on both movies.
Old 04-04-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by grenachi
Has anybody signed up a friend and gotten 2 free DVDs? I assume you have to pay shipping on both movies.
Do you have a "friend" that you don't like? If you're thinking of doing that garbage "sign-up a friend" offer, then you must really hate your "friend".
Old 04-05-08, 04:58 AM

Lol, no, nothing like that. I've never 'signed up a friend' so I have no idea how the offer works on my end, or their end, for that matter. I assumed on their end it would work as a normal sign up would, but I may be wrong on that.
Old 04-05-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grenachi
Lol, no, nothing like that. I've never 'signed up a friend' so I have no idea how the offer works on my end, or their end, for that matter. I assumed on their end it would work as a normal sign up would, but I may be wrong on that.
Yeah, it works like a "normal" sign up... which is a fantastically horrible deal! I think your "friend" would have to purchase 5 selections to fulfill. That's why you are being asked "do you hate your 'friend'?"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.