Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Old 10-30-07, 09:54 PM
  #301  
azs
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by pmreed
I just received my first CH shipment, the 7 Samurai Champloo discs. I'm very happy, but I got the 7 DVDs rattling around in a good sized box with no packaging whatsoever. Sounded like a box o rocks when I picked it up. No damage, fortunately; is this typical of CH shipping?
Not having any padding/packaging is typical in my experience. So, if your order doesn't fill the box, then the DVDs will rattle around (my most recent orders came in 2 different sized boxes, one of which holds 1 or 2 DVDs and the other of which can hold up to @12 DVDs; I expect that yours probably came in the latter). The boxes are quite sturdy, though, and not likely to get crushed, so there isn't a whole lot of harm that can come to the contents...
azs is offline  
Old 10-30-07, 10:17 PM
  #302  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 389
do they separate shipments? Ie I used the B2G3 deal but they B2 portions were preorders....will i still get the 3 free dvds before the preorders release?
Pookymeister is offline  
Old 10-30-07, 10:39 PM
  #303  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
smashthesymbols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2,080
Originally Posted by Pookymeister
do they separate shipments? Ie I used the B2G3 deal but they B2 portions were preorders....will i still get the 3 free dvds before the preorders release?
That's actually a frequent question and the answer is maybe. Some people have reported receiving the free titles on an order like that immediately. For myself, I never receive anything until the first preorder is released and billed.
smashthesymbols is offline  
Old 10-30-07, 11:21 PM
  #304  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 25
Besides 8 1/2 and Red Shoes what are the other Criterion DVD's that Columbia House carries?
OstenCarty is offline  
Old 10-31-07, 12:13 AM
  #305  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 389
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
That's actually a frequent question and the answer is maybe. Some people have reported receiving the free titles on an order like that immediately. For myself, I never receive anything until the first preorder is released and billed.
Hmmm, i might have to call about it since they arent released until December and I need the other ones now...
Pookymeister is offline  
Old 10-31-07, 12:49 AM
  #306  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bellefontaine, Ohio
Posts: 5,628
Originally Posted by OstenCarty
Besides 8 1/2 and Red Shoes what are the other Criterion DVD's that Columbia House carries?
*Hamlet (olivier)
*The Ruling Class (Great, hilarious film)
*Hearts & Minds (Just watched this last night; very powerful documentary about Vietnam.)
chris_sc77 is offline  
Old 10-31-07, 01:40 AM
  #307  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,472
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
That's actually a frequent question and the answer is maybe. Some people have reported receiving the free titles on an order like that immediately. For myself, I never receive anything until the first preorder is released and billed.
Yeah, in my B2G3 deal, 2 were also pre-orders and the other 3 are "awaiting credit approval" (well 2 of them are, the other I got due to an error on CH's part... long story). Although 2 others that were just released as a part of two separate orders shipped.
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 10-31-07, 03:18 PM
  #308  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,472
Well, got Spider-Man 3 in the mail today and the first disc was scratched up and unplayable. Luckily I hadn't used my replacement disc option yet so they're sending me another copy.

I do have one question, did the 2-disc SE have a slip cover?
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 10-31-07, 03:59 PM
  #309  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 7,337
Replacement disc option?
Peep is offline  
Old 10-31-07, 05:29 PM
  #310  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,472
I don't know what the term is (and I guess I shouldn't have said "option") but the customer service person said I hadn't used the replacement dvd yet (or something like that) and they are sending another copy out to me (and just throwing away by current copy).
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 10-31-07, 05:59 PM
  #311  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,023
Yes, it does have a slipcover. But with CH it's always hit and miss with those.
Jedi Master 33 is offline  
Old 10-31-07, 08:24 PM
  #312  
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13
well I filled out the online app sunday and used the 42m code..... selected bill later option, and got my welcome email today now awaiting my order.....
Koontzy is offline  
Old 11-01-07, 09:57 AM
  #313  
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Hello, I ordered My So Called Life and a free item back on 9/26/07 when they had B1G1 with free shipping. I think MSCL has just come out yesterday but my order says "awaiting credit approval". Does this mean something bad? There shouldn't be a problem with my credit card, so does it mean they don't want to give me the B1G1 offer or something? Or should I just be patient and wait a little longer? I would ask Columbia House themselves, but e-mails to them are bouncing. Do they have a secret e-mail address that actually works? Thanks much.
stringcircle is offline  
Old 11-01-07, 10:22 AM
  #314  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
smashthesymbols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2,080
Originally Posted by stringcircle
Hello, I ordered My So Called Life and a free item back on 9/26/07 when they had B1G1 with free shipping. I think MSCL has just come out yesterday but my order says "awaiting credit approval". Does this mean something bad? There shouldn't be a problem with my credit card, so does it mean they don't want to give me the B1G1 offer or something? Or should I just be patient and wait a little longer? I would ask Columbia House themselves, but e-mails to them are bouncing. Do they have a secret e-mail address that actually works? Thanks much.
If it was just released I wouldn't worry about the status on the website. The website is always way off. I've actually seen items say awaiting credit approval when I had already received them.
smashthesymbols is offline  
Old 11-01-07, 03:38 PM
  #315  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: independence MO
Posts: 491
I received my freebies from the BluRay glitch discussed in the "Has this ever happened.."thread.
I also received a letter telling me that Dreamgirls Bluray and Disturbia Bluray are no longer available.
Fine with me,that is why I ordered them(those of you that ordered them for the samw reason know what I'm talking about).
I also received a letter listing those 2 titles and my 4 free Criterions and saying that "we would like to send your order today.But we must limit the value of product sent to a member without prepayment".They want me to send them $59.92.
Obviously this is a mistake since they know that both of those Bluray titles are gone(even though they still show up on the website).
Hopefully,I will receive an email letting me know that the Criterions have shipped.

Oh yeah,they also want me to prepay for Ghost Rider extended..$1.99,before they ship it.
No problem.But c'mon!They sent me the Young Ones set before without prepaying and
that was over 40 dollars.
rider555 is offline  
Old 11-02-07, 01:54 AM
  #316  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I don't know what the term is (and I guess I shouldn't have said "option") but the customer service person said I hadn't used the replacement dvd yet (or something like that) and they are sending another copy out to me (and just throwing away by current copy).
This is standard procedure if you haven't had a return on an account before.

From the first post in this thread:

• I got a damaged or incorrect DVD. What do I do?


You need to call or e-mail Columbia House and get them to send a replacement. If this is the first replacement on the account, the CSR will likely tell you to throw out the damaged DVD and just send out the replacement. Otherwise, CH will send you a “return label” so that you can return the damaged/incorrect DVD at no cost. They will also send out the replacement DVD separately (one often gets the replacement DVD before the return label, don’t be concerned about it).

Please be aware that, in the case of a return, CH will charge you again for the replacement DVD and will then credit back the charge on the returned DVD when they receive it. This credit takes weeks; the wheels at Columbia House grind slowly. If they still haven’t credited your account in four weeks or so, give them a call and let them know.
lizard is offline  
Old 11-02-07, 02:04 AM
  #317  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
Originally Posted by stringcircle
Hello, I ordered My So Called Life and a free item back on 9/26/07 when they had B1G1 with free shipping. I think MSCL has just come out yesterday but my order says "awaiting credit approval". Does this mean something bad? There shouldn't be a problem with my credit card, so does it mean they don't want to give me the B1G1 offer or something? Or should I just be patient and wait a little longer? I would ask Columbia House themselves, but e-mails to them are bouncing. Do they have a secret e-mail address that actually works? Thanks much.
I agree with smashthesymbols above that you need to just wait and ignore the catchall "awaiting credit approval" designation. Columbia House is not like a retail store with your account history accurately updated. Just give it some time and try to ignore your account history.

That said, to e-mail Columbia House use [email protected] You will likely get a canned response at first. If you reply to that you should get a response from a live person.

You might want to read the FAQ in the first post in this thread.
lizard is offline  
Old 11-02-07, 01:37 PM
  #318  
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11
Hello. I cancelled one of my columbia house accounts yesterday, and for some reason, I can still log into my account. I called CH back, and asked them when will I be able to not log into my account, but the CSR I spoke to didn't give me an answer. She asked me if I want to cancel, and I said I already did, but go ahead anyway. So, I was wondering if any of you have ever noticed how long it takes before you can't log into that "closed" account again? I have a fear that they're not cancelling it, and I will be charged for the directors selections I'm not responding to. Thank you.
PueroYadrahs is offline  
Old 11-02-07, 01:45 PM
  #319  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,609
I'm pretty sure it takes longer than 1 day to process an account cancellation. I wouldn't be worried too much. Try logging-in the middle of next week.

Had you declined the latest Director's Selection? Another issue is that you might still receive e-mails associated with your old account. Those take a week or 2 before they cease.
Xbox69 is offline  
Old 11-02-07, 04:22 PM
  #320  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: independence MO
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by rider555
I received my freebies from the BluRay glitch discussed in the "Has this ever happened.."thread.
I also received a letter telling me that Dreamgirls Bluray and Disturbia Bluray are no longer available.
Fine with me,that is why I ordered them(those of you that ordered them for the samw reason know what I'm talking about).
I also received a letter listing those 2 titles and my 4 free Criterions and saying that "we would like to send your order today.But we must limit the value of product sent to a member without prepayment".They want me to send them $59.92.
Obviously this is a mistake since they know that both of those Bluray titles are gone(even though they still show up on the website).
Hopefully,I will receive an email letting me know that the Criterions have shipped.

Oh yeah,they also want me to prepay for Ghost Rider extended..$1.99,before they ship it.
No problem.But c'mon!They sent me the Young Ones set before without prepaying and
that was over 40 dollars.
CH sure are screwy.I received Ghost Rider in the mail today and also received an email saying that the rest of my orders shipped yesterday.
What happened to prepaying?
rider555 is offline  
Old 11-02-07, 07:00 PM
  #321  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,909
Originally Posted by PueroYadrahs
Hello. I cancelled one of my columbia house accounts yesterday, and for some reason, I can still log into my account. I called CH back, and asked them when will I be able to not log into my account, but the CSR I spoke to didn't give me an answer. She asked me if I want to cancel, and I said I already did, but go ahead anyway. So, I was wondering if any of you have ever noticed how long it takes before you can't log into that "closed" account again? I have a fear that they're not cancelling it, and I will be charged for the directors selections I'm not responding to. Thank you.
It can take 3-4 days before you can't log in to the account. I will usually check on day 3 and 4 and go ahead and decline any directors selections if I'm able to log in and if any appear during that period, although once you cancel you really do not need to do that. Just being paranoid.
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 11-02-07, 11:27 PM
  #322  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,023
Has anyone ever been called by CH. The first time they wanted me to sign up for their music club. They called again the other day asking if I wanted to sign up for a TV club account.
Jedi Master 33 is offline  
Old 11-03-07, 09:48 PM
  #323  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
^Reports of phone solicitations by Columbia House are fairly common here. Some of us use fake phone numbers to avoid them (I use an automated recording number so I don't inconvenience anyone).
lizard is offline  
Old 11-04-07, 01:32 AM
  #324  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: independence MO
Posts: 491
Has any one here ever applied by sending an application with a check or money order?I know it sounds kinda nuts,but I think it was possible to do this a couple of years a go(before I was blacklisted).
I would like to enroll in TVonDVD and my Aunt would really rather not give her CC info.She is the paranoid type and isn't even comfortable with having my DVDs sent to her address.
rider555 is offline  
Old 11-04-07, 02:22 AM
  #325  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 389
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
That's actually a frequent question and the answer is maybe. Some people have reported receiving the free titles on an order like that immediately. For myself, I never receive anything until the first preorder is released and billed.
Well, got 2 of the 6 free ones. The other 4 are "awaiting credit approval". Ive called twice and both times they said they should ship soon.
Pookymeister is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.