Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Old 10-17-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks to all of you above, your comments are appreciated. (And, yes, I did enjoy dadaluholla's joke; as you all know, typing in caps is considered SHOUTING, although I was unaware that the forum will convert such messages because I have never, ever, done it.)

I try to be patient with newcomers to this forum because I know how complex and difficult understanding Columbia House DVD club memberships can be — if it was easy everyone would join CH. But I do get irritated when my attempts at a polite, helpful response are flat out ignored.
Old 10-21-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Already posted this in another thread, but just wondering if anyone had this happen...

In that B2G3 deal, I made an order with 3 pre-orders and 2 that just came out this past week. Anyway, a few days later I checked my order status and noticed I had an extra charge I wasn't expecting, looked at the order and saw that one title (that came out 10/16) was in its own order and I had been charged for it (plus shipping). I looked at the other proper order (B2G3) and that DVD is still in there ("awaiting credit approval").

Now, I've been told that I could just put "Return to Sender" when I get that DVD but the problem is another DVD had also been charged the day before and is probably on its way (hell, it could even be packaged together), so what do I do? I talked with Columbia House CS but the lady was no help (I'll probably try again tomorrow).

Anyone have experience returning a DVD or have this happen? I know I didn't open that second order and it's absolute crap that I'm now being charged $15 for a DVD that was supposed to be free...
Old 10-21-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something kind of similar:

I also ordered in an account using B2G3F, with a pre-order of Planet Terror.
The whole order disappeared back on the 12th.
It just reappeared on the 19th, with only 2 of the free ones listed, at $14.97 each, with shipping charges, and the order is listed as "mail" instead of "web" and the selections are listed as "awaiting credit approval."
An additional "pending" "web" order with the ***** prices appeared on the 20th with all of the original 5 I ordered.

Strange.

I came here to see if anybody else was experiencing oddities before I called them.
Old 10-22-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I e-mailed them and they've credited back the duplicate DVD order. Now all I have to do is hope it either hasn't shipped or there's something obvious on the exterior of the package to distinguish it from another DVD that's on its way...
Old 10-24-07, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just logged into my TV account and see I've been charged $40.70 for Two and a Half Men. It is coming up as an automatic order so I assume I forgot to reject a Director's Selection. Anyone have any past experience with returning a Director's Selection? Hopefully it won't be too painful and I can get the charge removed.
Old 10-24-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rendle
I just logged into my TV account and see I've been charged $40.70 for Two and a Half Men. It is coming up as an automatic order so I assume I forgot to reject a Director's Selection. Anyone have any past experience with returning a Director's Selection? Hopefully it won't be too painful and I can get the charge removed.
I had the same thing happen and I made the mistake of opening the cardboard mailer when the disc arrived. Can I tape the mailer back together and send the package back refused? Or do I need to get a mailer/postage label from CH?
Old 10-24-07, 05:15 PM

I had to return a dvd recently. I ended up waiting for a shipping label from ch, taped it up, and mailed it back.
Old 10-24-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. Is it easy to request a shipping label? Can it be done online?
Old 10-24-07, 07:35 PM

Ya, just email them and tell them you need to return a dvd and they should mail a shipping label.
Old 10-25-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got a question: Is there a way to determine, without a opening a package, which DVD is inside? Only reason I ask is I have one DVD I did buy coming and around the same time, I will have the mistaken order also coming. They are both single disc DVDs so the size won't be any different...
Old 10-25-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Got a question: Is there a way to determine, without a opening a package, which DVD is inside? Only reason I ask is I have one DVD I did buy coming and around the same time, I will have the mistaken order also coming. They are both single disc DVDs so the size won't be any different...
Most single disc packages have a little window for your shipping address. The shipping address is part of your invoice. You can usually peak down at the invoice and see what the title is that's listed on the invoice.
Old 10-25-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great, thanks.
Old 10-28-07, 02:53 PM

I was told to post this here... I used code 42m and it worked and I chose bill later, they sent me an email saying they are reviewing me application for approval...

what do they look for when approving? do they check credit? or is it just to see if you have ever had a naccount before and screwed them over?

thanks
Old 10-28-07, 03:39 PM
Banned

^Probably both.
Old 10-28-07, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
^Probably both.

ok... I hope the code I used worked... I want to say the one I said is right....is there a way to call them and ask? if the coe I used was valid???
Old 10-28-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^If the code you used worked on the website, and the terms were as you expected (42M is a good 7:2 code), then the code works. Whether or not your application is accepted has nothing whatsoever to do with which code you used!
Old 10-28-07, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
^If the code you used worked on the website, and the terms were as you expected (42M is a good 7:2 code), then the code works. Whether or not your application is accepted has nothing whatsoever to do with which code you used!
ok it worked but I think it was a 6:2 code
Old 10-28-07, 09:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I was wondering if you order a tv show season that cost more than 19.99 will that be eligable to count as 1 of your fullfillment as a DVD club member?
Old 10-28-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as I know, any DVD (single or set) that's at least $19.95 counts as a fulfillment, but as you can imagine, there will always be exceptions. And if there's a B1G1F (or similar code), it will count towards that, too. So, for example, with the current sale on some boxed sets, you can get, say, South Park Season 1, and a free DVD, and the SP S1 counts as a fulfillment. Or you could get S5, which is not on sale, for around $25, and it would also count. Or you could get something for $39.95 or more, and it would count as 2 fulfillments, but only as 1 towards a B1G1F. And just to be clear, you can't get a boxed set as the G1F.

When you throw things in your cart, you'll be able to see what counts as fulfillments, and what does not. And be careful of shipping prices on boxed sets--those can rack up quickly and make them much less of a good deal than they first appear.

(And if you check the sale codes list, you'll see it's actually currently B2G3F with 802335, so this is one of the best times in history to fulfill.)

(BxGyF = Buy x, Get y Free)
Old 10-29-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Koontzy
ok it worked but I think it was a 6:2 code
We call codes like 42M "7:2" because you get 7 DVDs when enrolling and need 2 to fulfill. The code is structured as 6 for 49˘, three to fulfill, buy one more for $9.95 and have just two to fulfill. It can be used as a 6:3 or a 7:2 code.
Old 10-29-07, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
We call codes like 42M "7:2" because you get 7 DVDs when enrolling and need 2 to fulfill. The code is structured as 6 for 49˘, three to fulfill, buy one more for $9.95 and have just two to fulfill. It can be used as a 6:3 or a 7:2 code.
oh ok kewl..I got it lol.... how long does it take to find out if ya got approved and are a member? and does anyone know what exactly they check? cause I know I havent ever joined them, and my friends that have it dont have the best of credit, so what do they look for then?
Old 10-29-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally Posted by OstenCarty
I was wondering if you order a tv show season that cost more than 19.99 will that be eligable to count as 1 of your fullfillment as a DVD club member?
Yes. ANY selection that is $19.95 or higher BEFORE ANY DISCOUNT IS APPLIED
Old 10-29-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally Posted by OstenCarty
Yes. ANY DVD selection that is $19.95-$39.94 will count as 1 fullfillment. There are regularly offers of 3/$24 or so that will also count as 1 fullfillment.

From the first post in this thread:
-------
Can I buy a box set to fulfill my account?

Yes, “Special” priced items, such as box sets, can be used to fulfill an account if the price of the set is $19.95 or more:

The current Columbia House fulfillment credit schedule:
Selections purchased at $19.95 to $39.94 count for one
Selections purchased at $39.95 to $59.94 count for two
Selections purchased at $59.95 to $79.94 count for three
Selections purchased at $79.95 to $99.94 count for four
Selections purchased at $99.95 and higher count for five

As you can see, a box set “Special” priced at just over $39.95 can be a really good deal because it will fulfill your account. For box sets priced at $59.95 it is best to decline the $9.95 “bonus” DVD when enrolling. That way you will need three commitments to fulfill your account and the box set will count for all three.
-------

There is quite a bit of very good information in the first post of this thread which answers quite a lot of questions folks new to the CH game tend to have. Lizard does a GREAT job of keeping it maintained with current information.
Old 10-29-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Koontzy
oh ok kewl..I got it lol.... how long does it take to find out if ya got approved and are a member? and does anyone know what exactly they check? cause I know I havent ever joined them, and my friends that have it dont have the best of credit, so what do they look for then?
Generally the acceptance e-mail arrives in a day or two but it has been known to take a week and sometimes it doesn't arrive at all and the enrollment package just arrives.

It isn't known what criteria Columbia House uses to accept or reject membership applications. Newcomers to the club almost always get accepted. Those of us who have had a number of accounts before tend to have difficulty getting new applications approved, especially on-line ones. As a first-timer, I'd be very surprised if your application isn't accepted.

Most of us use credit cards to enroll. We can tell that we have been accepted if a charge hits our cards. And we can tell if we have been rejected if the temporary charge goes away and wasn't followed by a real charge. With "bill me" applications there isn't much you can do except hope that you get a welcome e-mail or that an enrollment package shows up in the mail.
Old 10-30-07, 07:42 PM

I just received my first CH shipment, the 7 Samurai Champloo discs. I'm very happy, but I got the 7 DVDs rattling around in a good sized box with no packaging whatsoever. Sounded like a box o rocks when I picked it up. No damage, fortunately; is this typical of CH shipping?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.