Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Questions about Columbia House? Ask them here, Part II

Old 10-05-07, 11:41 AM
  #226  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 182
Thanks. When i clicked to get more information, it listed the # of discs as 1, so I was getting confused.
Droog is offline  
Old 10-05-07, 11:53 AM
  #227  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
smashthesymbols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2,080
Originally Posted by Droog
Thanks. When i clicked to get more information, it listed the # of discs as 1, so I was getting confused.
That's just a little quirk of Columbia House. The actual page for every DVD on the enrollment site will say 1 disc. You have to look on the search results and it will say (2 discs) there if it's the 2 disc version.
smashthesymbols is offline  
Old 10-05-07, 12:34 PM
  #228  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
Originally Posted by DVDMagic
I don't think there would be any problems whatsoever with that. I doubt CH would even for a second think you were the one and same. The only way they might notice something is if you used the same credit/debit card to pay for everything, but even then that is the longest of long shots.

Go ahead and have fun cycling accounts
Some years ago Columbia House searched out credit card numbers and blacklisted those using the same card at different addresses. Don't do this; use a different card number at different addresses, if you feel you must have accounts at more than one address.

Last edited by lizard; 10-05-07 at 12:42 PM.
lizard is offline  
Old 10-05-07, 02:00 PM
  #229  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 349
Lizard what if I use different cards at different times to pay? Like for one package I may use a certain card, and for another I will use a different one. Any chance that could be a problem?
mazzystar is offline  
Old 10-05-07, 03:10 PM
  #230  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
^All I can do is advise you to use a different set of cards at each address. It isn't the end of the world if you did use the same card at different addresses. Chances are they won't spot it. But be aware that they do have the ability to search for accounts by card number.

Last edited by lizard; 10-05-07 at 03:21 PM.
lizard is offline  
Old 10-05-07, 04:22 PM
  #231  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,096
Originally Posted by mazzystar
Lizard what if I use different cards at different times to pay? Like for one package I may use a certain card, and for another I will use a different one. Any chance that could be a problem?
Use one card at one address, and use a different card at the other address. Make sure the billing address of both the cards also correspond with the respective shipping address.
NEVER mix them up, or CH may cross-reference and blacklist you.
Otherwise I wouldn't risk it, not worth getting ousted.
basaro is offline  
Old 10-05-07, 04:38 PM
  #232  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 349
Ah okay. Thanks Basaro. In that case, hope that particular app doesn't get approved then. Can definitely wait.
mazzystar is offline  
Old 10-05-07, 06:51 PM
  #233  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 104
Stupid question about B1G1 : I've got Allo Allo and 1408 2-Disc in the cart , 1408 costs more than Allo Allo but is showing up as the free one. Will it end up being the free one or will they charge me full price for both? they screwed up one of my b1g1 orders before. Any help??
tnfsgag is offline  
Old 10-05-07, 06:58 PM
  #234  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
If it shows up as free, you'll get it for free. Someone else can explain the specifics of why the more expensive picks show as the free selection at times, but yes, that's normal.

I got the 1408 2-disc and the Bram Stoker's Dracula 2-disc in the mail today. I also got an order yesterday that included the Troy Ultimate Collector's Edition, and holy crap, I really had no clue that the case was as big as it is.
Brent L is offline  
Old 10-06-07, 07:27 AM
  #235  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,096
Originally Posted by mazzystar
Ah okay. Thanks Basaro. In that case, hope that particular app doesn't get approved then. Can definitely wait.
If it does get approved, you maybe be able to change the billing information after the fact to another cc or a "bill me" option. If you change it, CH may not have it on file in the future, but I'm not completely sure about that. You also may run the risk of having two cc's tied to that one account, so I'm not really sure what I would do, be careful.
basaro is offline  
Old 10-06-07, 01:51 PM
  #236  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 349
Checked my email today and it was approved. So what I'll do is just buy a visa gift card, that way I can put any address I want in the cardholder information online. So no problems with the shipping and billing address being different.
mazzystar is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 01:32 PM
  #237  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sand Point
Posts: 2,249
How fast do your applications usually get approved? The last time I applied, it was accepted the very next day. But the last few attempts have gone unanswered.
Legolas is offline  
Old 10-07-07, 02:08 PM
  #238  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 349
When I applied with my last app before this, at my home address it did not go through, I ended up calling and doing a phone app to get it approved. This app is at a different addy, applied on Oct 4 got the welcome email Oct 6.
mazzystar is offline  
Old 10-08-07, 07:09 PM
  #239  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
Do any of you guys know if the Rio Bravo set listed on CH is actually what's pictured, or is it just the normal 2-disc version?
Brent L is offline  
Old 10-08-07, 07:21 PM
  #240  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dadaluholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wilmington, OH
Posts: 5,491
Originally Posted by Brent L
Do any of you guys know if the Rio Bravo set listed on CH is actually what's pictured, or is it just the normal 2-disc version?
It's definitely NOT the one in the picture. Just the regular 2-disc, not Ultimate.

They did that to me on TMNT: The Original Series Volume 5. They have a picture of the "Season 5" 3-Disc set, but it's actually just the "Volume 5" 1 disc set. Luckily I double checked before ordering it.

Last edited by dadaluholla; 10-08-07 at 07:23 PM.
dadaluholla is offline  
Old 10-08-07, 07:22 PM
  #241  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
Alrighty, I didn't think so but figured I'd ask.
Brent L is offline  
Old 10-09-07, 05:46 PM
  #242  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
I just wanted to note that I pre-ordered Reign Over Me and sure enough I got it in the mail today, on the release date.
Brent L is offline  
Old 10-10-07, 11:20 AM
  #243  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Posts: 781
Was Superbad a Director's Selection? I just went to my account and it says I have it on pre-order. I never ordered it and I never got an email about it being a Director's Selection. Knocked Up was the last one I got.
vcuram is offline  
Old 10-11-07, 08:37 AM
  #244  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
^Not to my knowledge. It was just added to the catalog a week or so ago so it ought not to have been a DS yet.

Don't know why you have an order for it.
lizard is offline  
Old 10-11-07, 09:11 AM
  #245  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Posts: 781
Originally Posted by lizard
^Not to my knowledge. It was just added to the catalog a week or so ago so it ought not to have been a DS yet.

Don't know why you have an order for it.
Thanks! I added it to my cart when playing around with the B1G1 codes, but I made sure it wasn't part of my order. Maybe CH messed up and I'll get a free one. Or I'll get charged for it.
vcuram is offline  
Old 10-11-07, 12:50 PM
  #246  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,936
Anybody have experience cancelling membership with an open order? I ordered Elizabeth and it is out of stock until late November. Will they just cancell that or will they charge and ship it as normal? I know it's probably not the wisest thing to do, just in case there are problems, but I don't really care if I get it or not (was just added to get to the free shipping threshold).
starman9000 is offline  
Old 10-12-07, 10:52 AM
  #247  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bellefontaine, Ohio
Posts: 5,628
OK. i placed an order last night at columbia house with 20 DVD's that when i used a sale code came to a total of $102.78. This was how it appeared on the Send Order page so i went ahead and sent the order. Then it took me to the page that says click to go to your receipt. So i do that and it takeds me to my receipt page and all of a sudden my total shows up as $161.54!!! more than $40 was shipping which should not be on there at all because I used a code with free shipping and all my titles were eligible for it.
So i called and talked to a ch representative and explained that my order didnt go through correctly and she told me it did and i said it didnt and told her it was $60 more than it should have been. SO i ask if i can cancel this order and she said she could try to cancel it but it wouldnt be guarenteed and would take at least a few days to find out if it even was canceled.
Then she tried to sell me a bunch of stuff. I got the feeling that I'm going to get screwed and lose that $60. Is there any other way to cancel an order? or change this so i get this at the correct price? any one else have this problem ever ?
chris_sc77 is offline  
Old 10-12-07, 11:49 AM
  #248  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Posts: 781
Originally Posted by vcuram
Thanks! I added it to my cart when playing around with the B1G1 codes, but I made sure it wasn't part of my order. Maybe CH messed up and I'll get a free one. Or I'll get charged for it.
Now Superbad is gone from my pre-order box, but 1408 CE has replaced. WTF?
vcuram is offline  
Old 10-12-07, 03:16 PM
  #249  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
Originally Posted by starman9000
Anybody have experience cancelling membership with an open order? I ordered Elizabeth and it is out of stock until late November. Will they just cancell that or will they charge and ship it as normal? I know it's probably not the wisest thing to do, just in case there are problems, but I don't really care if I get it or not (was just added to get to the free shipping threshold).
I think that it is possible to close an account that is fulfilled but the DVDs haven't shipped, so I think the answer to your question is "yes". Best to call Columbia House to cancel and see what the CSR says about the open order.
lizard is offline  
Old 10-12-07, 03:31 PM
  #250  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
OK. i placed an order last night at columbia house with 20 DVD's that when i used a sale code came to a total of $102.78. This was how it appeared on the Send Order page so i went ahead and sent the order. Then it took me to the page that says click to go to your receipt. So i do that and it takeds me to my receipt page and all of a sudden my total shows up as $161.54!!! more than $40 was shipping which should not be on there at all because I used a code with free shipping and all my titles were eligible for it.
So i called and talked to a ch representative and explained that my order didnt go through correctly and she told me it did and i said it didnt and told her it was $60 more than it should have been. SO i ask if i can cancel this order and she said she could try to cancel it but it wouldnt be guarenteed and would take at least a few days to find out if it even was canceled.
Then she tried to sell me a bunch of stuff. I got the feeling that I'm going to get screwed and lose that $60. Is there any other way to cancel an order? or change this so i get this at the correct price? any one else have this problem ever ?
Problems like this are not unheard of, although they are fairly rare. Trying to cancel an order can cause difficulties, as the CSR told you.

It's a bit late now, but the best thing to do with an order screwup is to wait. Sometimes things sort themselves out in time and trying to fix errors too quickly just makes things worse, IME. And if they really don't correct the billing, and you can't persuade them to fix it, you can return the DVDs and have the order canceled that way (yes, you would have to pay to send them back).

Why there was a difference between the Send Order page and the receipt, I couldn't say. I have never seen such a thing before.

Perhaps your order will get canceled before any DVDs ship.
lizard is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.