Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Has CH been "losing"/rejecting a lot of new memberships lately?

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 07-25-07, 03:01 PM

In reading posts and replies by a lot of folks on this site lately, I've noticed a disturbing trend: it seems to be harder to get new memberships accepted lately. Whether it's a "lost" application or a new member rejection notice, many of the same complaints are appearing on this site.

Personally, I've probably joined the DVD club over 20 times over the years and have never been rejected or had a "lost" application that went ignored--until recently. I enrolled online in late June and never got any email confirmation that I was accepted. In following up by email, I was told that they couldn't locate any new membership application for me with my name/address. I tried again 3 weeks ago and encountered the same exact experience. I just tried applying on the phone with a 7:2 code on Monday and am waiting for some validation: either a "welcome to the club" email or my intro packet. So far, no intro order charge has appeared on my credit card.

(Actually, I prefer enrolling online because I'm always given the opportunity to join Great Fun for a free 30 day trial and get a $20 rebate. I doubt that I'll be invited to join Great Fun after enrolling on the phone (anybody know otherwise?). FYI: Joining Great Fun (and quitting before 30 days) and using B1G1F codes significantly reduces the average cost spent on DVDs, to the tune of around $3/DVD.)

I'm curious to gather feedback from other people who may have similar recent experiences with "lost" or rejected applications. Are some of us being blacklisted? What's the rhyme/reason for these failed applications? Are the golden days of joining/quitting/joining again, (etc.) over? Any tips on how we can get these online or phone order applications green lighted quicker and with greater success? Maybe with enough feedback, we can come up with a better strategy...
Old 07-25-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cant even get a 'decent' deal (a 7:3 package) using a code that they MAILED TO ME (with a PSN) to get me to rejoin to be accepted. It's been about 3 months of constant applications (they dont even send me the rejection cards anymore). I am tempted to cancel all my pre-orders and close my one open account in hopes that they will accept me, so I can get another enrollment deal.
Old 07-25-07, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by thewrite1
In reading posts and replies by a lot of folks on this site lately, I've noticed a disturbing trend: it seems to be harder to get new memberships accepted lately. Whether it's a "lost" application or a new member rejection notice, many of the same complaints are appearing on this site.

Personally, I've probably joined the DVD club over 20 times over the years and have never been rejected or had a "lost" application that went ignored--until recently. I enrolled online in late June and never got any email confirmation that I was accepted. In following up by email, I was told that they couldn't locate any new membership application for me with my name/address. I tried again 3 weeks ago and encountered the same exact experience. I just tried applying on the phone with a 7:2 code on Monday and am waiting for some validation: either a "welcome to the club" email or my intro packet. So far, no intro order charge has appeared on my credit card.

(Actually, I prefer enrolling online because I'm always given the opportunity to join Great Fun for a free 30 day trial and get a $20 rebate. I doubt that I'll be invited to join Great Fun after enrolling on the phone (anybody know otherwise?). FYI: Joining Great Fun (and quitting before 30 days) and using B1G1F codes significantly reduces the average cost spent on DVDs, to the tune of around $3/DVD.)

I'm curious to gather feedback from other people who may have similar recent experiences with "lost" or rejected applications. Are some of us being blacklisted? What's the rhyme/reason for these failed applications? Are the golden days of joining/quitting/joining again, (etc.) over? Any tips on how we can get these online or phone order applications green lighted quicker and with greater success? Maybe with enough feedback, we can come up with a better strategy...
Pardon the threadcrap and my ignorance, but what's "Great Fun".

Thanks
Old 07-25-07, 03:44 PM

Great Fun is a membership that, if you join online with a credit card, you may be offered to join via a link at the bottom of the "receipt" page. The link is entitled: "Your purchase is complete. Click here to claim up to $10 cash back on this purchase!". (I know of a way to make this a $20 rebate, but more on that for another time.) DeepDiscount.com purchasers are often given the same link after they buy something on their site.

Not sure if everyone who joins CH via credit card is offered this membership, but if you are, take it and BE SURE to quit Great Fun before the 30 day trial is up. I've always gotten the $20 rebate with no strings attached.
Old 07-25-07, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
I cant even get a 'decent' deal (a 7:3 package) using a code that they MAILED TO ME (with a PSN) to get me to rejoin to be accepted. It's been about 3 months of constant applications (they dont even send me the rejection cards anymore). I am tempted to cancel all my pre-orders and close my one open account in hopes that they will accept me, so I can get another enrollment deal.
Wow. That's frustrating for you. In my case, I've never even kept multiple accounts open under the same name. I always quit and then rejoin. So my "lost" applications over the last month have occurred while not even having another CH account active.
Old 07-25-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

are you guys applying by phone? i'm 4 for 4 with phone enrollment acceptance.
Old 07-25-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've tried about 5 times online in the past few weeks for a 2nd account. I'm probably just going to close out my 1 account and then apply again. I don't know what's going on.
Old 07-25-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been having no luck at all lately. I've been trying off and on since early May to open a new account. My last attempt was ten days ago and still nothing. I've tried everything I could think of other than calling, and I think that will be my next move.

I can't get a TV account open either, which is very strange because I've never had a TV account. I thought my first account would be no problem.
Old 07-25-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I applied and got my first ever account last monday, but then I tried for a second account that same night and then tuesday, but have not heard back from them on those. I think I may have tried to soon after the first, but thought that since you can have two open accounts at the same time that my second one would go through as easily as my first. Once I get everything I've ordered from the first account I may close it then try again.
Old 07-26-07, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by thewrite1
Personally, I've probably joined the DVD club over 20 times over the years and have never been rejected or had a "lost" application that went ignored--until recently. I enrolled online in late June and never got any email confirmation that I was accepted. In following up by email, I was told that they couldn't locate any new membership application for me with my name/address. I tried again 3 weeks ago and encountered the same exact experience.
This is not uncommon at all. I think I've had at least ten consecutive online apps go missing before. It generally goes in streaks. Not to say it's 100%, as you might have 1 in 8 apps get accepted during a drought, or 1 in 6 apps get "lost" during a good streak, but there are definitely peaks and valleys. Can't stress enough that phone apps are *much* more likely to go through than online apps, especially during these bad streaks.

I just tried applying on the phone with a 7:2 code on Monday and am waiting for some validation: either a "welcome to the club" email or my intro packet. So far, no intro order charge has appeared on my credit card.
You applied on Monday, and posted Wednesday morning that you haven't received your enrollment package yet? You'll almost never get an acceptance e-mail that quickly, and even the CC charge can take 3-4 days. Don't write that one off just yet. If nothing appears within the next week, call and apply again. Try early in the week during the day for best results. Seriously, I've gone through periods when it seemed like I'd never get another app through. But then I'll get ten in a row approved. Just stick with it.
Old 07-26-07, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am thinking of doing a phone application soon for a second account. Never tried it before. I just don't like being on the phone since I'm on it most of the day at work.
Old 07-26-07, 03:32 PM

I just joined on July 13 and I got my enrollment kit and everything already. But I placed an order on July 23 and I just now got the e-mail that everything was sent today. Does it normally take that long to process?

Also for those of you who get second accounts, do you use a different name or someone else's name in the household?
Old 07-26-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fashionvictim86
I just joined on July 13 and I got my enrollment kit and everything already. But I placed an order on July 23 and I just now got the e-mail that everything was sent today. Does it normally take that long to process?

Also for those of you who get second accounts, do you use a different name or someone else's name in the household?
It is not unusual for an order to take some time to process. But we often find that we receive our DVDs before we even get the shipping notice. So, don't take your account history on-line as being up-to-date.

For second, third, thirtieth or whatever accounts you can use the same name, address, credit card and e-mail address. You will likely be limited to no more than two OPEN accounts at the same time. But you can close and open as many accounts as you like. You will need to choose a new user name for each new account. Most of us just number them: username1, username2, etc. You can use the same password for your accounts.
Old 07-26-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Three days is not a long time to process. That's average to good turnaround time. I've heard of people being accepted on an app after like 1-1/2 to 2 weeks wait time.

Also, the one time I was able to get a second account accepted, I used all the same information. They will knowingly give one person two accounts.
Old 07-26-07, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
It is not unusual for an order to take some time to process. But we often find that we receive our DVDs before we even get the shipping notice.
Yeah, I noticed that with my enrollment kit. I got the DVDs a day before I got the shipping notice to my e-mail.

Thank you for the information!
Old 07-27-07, 01:16 PM

I don't know if it's just a fluke, but my two most recent fulfillment orders have arrived faster than ever, both 3 days after ordering. One of them actually beat an Amazon Prime order that I placed the same day.
Old 08-21-07, 05:54 PM

After reading these I have a question: My 1st application (LMT) was rejected - I got a letter stating this about 6-7 days later I believe. 6-7 days after the next try and so far no letter. Would the consenus be to waiting around 10-15 days before trying to join again to avoid ordering 2 of the same set of enrollment titles?

Thank you.
Old 08-21-07, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by DelGriffith
After reading these I have a question: My 1st application (LMT) was rejected - I got a letter stating this about 6-7 days later I believe. 6-7 days after the next try and so far no letter. Would the consenus be to waiting around 10-15 days before trying to join again to avoid ordering 2 of the same set of enrollment titles?
Yeah, that's about right. There have been cases of acceptances arriving out of the blue several weeks (even months) after the application, but that hasn't happened for awhile. Also, I think LMT is dead. I know it still comes up online like it's active, but you'd have a better chance with a newer code like 98W.
Old 08-21-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think you're all getting rejected because you apply on the web, it's just not reliable.
Time and time again people post threads like this. In the time it took you to post this, you could have been approved on the phone.

Use the damn phone and get approved! Geez.
Old 08-21-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DelGriffith

Thank you.
My advice in that situation would be to wait a bit longer, then apply again with a new set of titles. That way should you end up getting both approved you don't have duplicates. Better safe than sorry after all.
Old 08-21-07, 10:35 PM

I never had any problem up until lately. Whatever the reason behind it at least I know its just not me.
Old 08-22-07, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just had an app approved in 2 days, DVDs showed up in 5. I have had problems with online apps disappearing in the past, but not the last few.
Old 08-22-07, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I had a fast online approval too (last friday, approved monday), even though I had previously had a lot of problems. Maybe they hired someone new, maybe they have quotas? I don't know but it was fast. Hopefully my dvds show up today too (5 days)
Old 08-22-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I could probably get a regular DVD club open, but I submitted my 3rd or 4th attempt at a CH.com membership on monday, and have not heard anything as of yet.
Old 08-22-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
are you guys applying by phone? i'm 4 for 4 with phone enrollment acceptance.
Just finally tried it a couple weeks ago and I am 1 for 1 with phone enrollments. That is the way I will be going from now on.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.