DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

AFI top 100 - careful with #27 high noon

Old 07-02-07, 02:56 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 789
AFI top 100 - careful with #27 high noon

CH only carries the remake, not the one that actually made the AFI list.
viking99 is offline  
Old 07-02-07, 03:02 PM
  #2  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
That's quite horrific.

I didn't even know there was a remake. Who watches a movie like High Noon and then decides "Yeah, I could do that better"?
Groucho is offline  
Old 07-02-07, 05:05 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sweet Baby James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,587
Originally Posted by Groucho
That's quite horrific.

I didn't even know there was a remake. Who watches a movie like High Noon and then decides "Yeah, I could do that better"?
Well, Rod Hardy of course! He was also at the helm of the TV version of another classic, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Sweet Baby James is offline  
Old 07-02-07, 08:00 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,429
Did those buffoons actually put a link to the remake on the list? Shows how little they know about the movies they sell. Idiots. As for the original High Noon: CE that's on the market - it's pretty packed for a one-disc. Plus it's cheap. I think it's much harder to find now than it used to be (is it OOP?) but e-bay always cheap ones and I saw one at my Border's the other day for $15.

Last edited by Dane Marvin; 07-02-07 at 08:02 PM.
Dane Marvin is offline  
Old 07-02-07, 08:10 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Originally Posted by Groucho
That's quite horrific.

I didn't even know there was a remake. Who watches a movie like High Noon and then decides "Yeah, I could do that better"?
I think Gus Van Sant did after he watched Psycho.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 09-23-07, 08:43 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Alabama
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Did those buffoons actually put a link to the remake on the list? Shows how little they know about the movies they sell. Idiots. As for the original High Noon: CE that's on the market - it's pretty packed for a one-disc. Plus it's cheap. I think it's much harder to find now than it used to be (is it OOP?) but e-bay always cheap ones and I saw one at my Border's the other day for $15.
I was checking E-bay and i found two different editions of the original High Noon. They have different extras, my question is...which one has the best video/audio quality?
davey_4964 is offline  
Old 09-23-07, 05:55 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 782
Originally Posted by davey_4964
I was checking E-bay and i found two different editions of the original High Noon. They have different extras, my question is...which one has the best video/audio quality?
Comparison at DVD Beaver:

"About the Region 1's: Out of sync audio and excessive digital processing make both of these editions quite poor. Looking closely I actually think that the original releases is sharper (look at the numbers of the clock in the last capture). I see visible edge enhancement in the old version though and artifacts in both. What a shame as this is such a noble film, to have received such poor treatment. Tsk tsk... The new release has bumped the audio to 3.1, but that only goes to further enhance the sync problems. I don't recommend either release. Wait till they do this one right."
Spiral Staircase is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.