DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

AFI top 100 - careful with #27 high noon

Old 07-02-07, 02:56 PM

AFI top 100 - careful with #27 high noon

CH only carries the remake, not the one that actually made the AFI list.
Old 07-02-07, 03:02 PM

That's quite horrific.

I didn't even know there was a remake. Who watches a movie like High Noon and then decides "Yeah, I could do that better"?
Old 07-02-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
That's quite horrific.

I didn't even know there was a remake. Who watches a movie like High Noon and then decides "Yeah, I could do that better"?
Well, Rod Hardy of course! He was also at the helm of the TV version of another classic, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Old 07-02-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did those buffoons actually put a link to the remake on the list? Shows how little they know about the movies they sell. Idiots. As for the original High Noon: CE that's on the market - it's pretty packed for a one-disc. Plus it's cheap. I think it's much harder to find now than it used to be (is it OOP?) but e-bay always cheap ones and I saw one at my Border's the other day for $15.

Last edited by Dane Marvin; 07-02-07 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-02-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
That's quite horrific.

I think Gus Van Sant did after he watched Psycho.
Old 09-23-07, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Did those buffoons actually put a link to the remake on the list? Shows how little they know about the movies they sell. Idiots. As for the original High Noon: CE that's on the market - it's pretty packed for a one-disc. Plus it's cheap. I think it's much harder to find now than it used to be (is it OOP?) but e-bay always cheap ones and I saw one at my Border's the other day for $15.
I was checking E-bay and i found two different editions of the original High Noon. They have different extras, my question is...which one has the best video/audio quality?
Old 09-23-07, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by davey_4964
I was checking E-bay and i found two different editions of the original High Noon. They have different extras, my question is...which one has the best video/audio quality?
Comparison at DVD Beaver:

"About the Region 1's: Out of sync audio and excessive digital processing make both of these editions quite poor. Looking closely I actually think that the original releases is sharper (look at the numbers of the clock in the last capture). I see visible edge enhancement in the old version though and artifacts in both. What a shame as this is such a noble film, to have received such poor treatment. Tsk tsk... The new release has bumped the audio to 3.1, but that only goes to further enhance the sync problems. I don't recommend either release. Wait till they do this one right."