DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

CH's current #1 bestseller is: Norbit?!?

Old 06-22-07, 08:32 AM

CH's current #1 bestseller is: Norbit?!?

That doesn't say a whole lot about CH's customers. Is that for real, or is CH trying to push extra copies of this? No offense if you ordered Norbit, I haven't even seen it so who knows, it may be hilarious...
Old 06-22-07, 08:48 AM

pretty sure it was the directors selection this month... so... by default i think that would make it the top selling.
Old 06-22-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^You are probably right about the Director's Selection effect. But it wouldn't surprise me that the mainstream customer base of Columbia House would go for a mainstream title like Norbit. Critics and cinephiles may not think much of that movie but Eddie Murphy remains popular with many.
Old 06-22-07, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by icecube
That doesn't say a whole lot about CH's customers.
What makes you think Columbia House customers are any different than the country as a whole?
Old 06-22-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by legend42
What makes you think Columbia House customers are any different than the country as a whole?
That makes me sad
Old 06-22-07, 08:10 PM

I know nothing about this movie, but checking IMDB it is currently rated 3.4. This has to be the first time that a "best seller" is regarded as such a crappy movie by the IMDB crowd. Sad indeed....
Old 06-26-07, 12:54 PM

I guess I assumed it was the masses that diss Columbia House and don't take advantage of the codes (enrollment and fulfillment) that we do, and that CH's customers were just all bargain hunters like us.

My assumption was only half right. I forgot that CH must be making money somewhere and it is from the masses that buy Norbit for $22.95. And it's probably 1 of their required 5 fulfillments since they didn't utilize any codes...

Last edited by icecube; 06-26-07 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-26-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shockingly, it was listed #1 in DVD sales in this past Saturday's EW. Looking at the info below the chart, it looks like this stat was from the week ending on June 9... release week... sorta kinda halfway explains it.

Wonder how much CH helped its sales.

Last edited by leeta; 06-26-07 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-02-07, 02:28 AM

In America's defense, there isn't much worth renting right now. So, most families feel safe renting an Eddie Murphy movie over anything else that had less publicity. Based on that, I can see it rating pretty high. However, if a poll was given to those same people after the fact, they would have rather burned their money than bother with that again.
Old 07-02-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As you likely noticed, Columbia House sent out an e-mail linking to the new AFI top 100 movie list. I noticed that Norbit was not on it. Must be an oversight...
Old 07-02-07, 09:24 PM

Not exactly...you see AFI recently updated its list and I think Norbit was one of the cuts...
Old 07-03-07, 05:15 PM

I seen this movie and it made me laugh. most people are into family guy,south park and simpsons humor nowadays.