DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

CH Now 5 copies per title?

Old 06-21-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

CH Now 5 copies per title?

I was just looking on the details page at CH. It says you can get 5 copies per title. Is this new? I had always thought it was only 2 per title as other have mentioned here.
Old 06-21-07, 05:10 PM

I don't know when or if they changed it, but it's been 5 max for awhile. 2 was regarded as the "safe" number, as ordering multiple copies of the same title is one of the major flags that can get you blacklisted. As it is, we've come to believe it's wise not to order more than 5 of the same DVD over *all* your accounts within a certain unknown period of time (maybe a year, maybe forever, it's all kind of a mystery).

Last edited by legend42; 06-21-07 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-21-07, 05:32 PM

It changed right about the time ch caught bmg disease.
Old 06-22-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Two was the limit for enrollments, don't know if that has changed. It has long been more than that after enrolling.

We suggest limiting purchases to no more than two copies of a particular title, over all accounts, because repeatedly ordering the same few high value titles was an obvious sign of selling DVDs and eventually led to the blacklist for some. But, yes, you can order more than two copies of a title. During the holiday season Columbia House expects orders of multiple copies of a title for use as gifts; I have done that myself.
Old 06-23-07, 10:25 PM

I am pretty sure it used to be 3. As I said, I remember it was raised right after the BMG virus took over. Some people abuse it and get away with it for a while. They will eventually catch up with you and you will get black listed.
Old 06-24-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While I don't recall when BMG took over, I do know that I ordered five copies of a title in December 2005 to use as gifts. My recollection is that Columbia House has long allowed multiple copies of a DVD to be ordered after enrollment, especially during the holiday season.

It is the enrollments that have been long limited to two of the same title. And it is still that way: when you try to add more than two copies of a DVD in the enrollment cart you get an error popup that says "we're sorry, Only two copies of each item may be added to your cart!"
Old 06-25-07, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
Two was the limit for enrollments, don't know if that has changed. It has long been more than that after enrolling.

We suggest limiting purchases to no more than two copies of a particular title, over all accounts, because repeatedly ordering the same few high value titles was an obvious sign of selling DVDs and eventually led to the blacklist for some. But, yes, you can order more than two copies of a title. During the holiday season Columbia House expects orders of multiple copies of a title for use as gifts; I have done that myself.
I've never ordered more than 2 of any title. Don't have much need to. If i order a lot from Columbia House during sales or any other time (even no more than 1 per title) can thta lead to being blacklisted?

I order many for myself, but I also get some for friends, coworkers, etc who don't want to join. They don't mind buyng a title for $8 to $10, all I get out of it is the double tripple funcash. I've had the same account for several years and haven't yet recyled as i've done well without doing so.
Old 06-26-07, 12:57 AM

Lizard, i believe that it used to be 3 before the BMG virus, but would change to 5 at holidays.

I dont know how some get around this, but there are some ebayers who bought many of the Perry Mason and Gunsmoke dvd before they went out of print and were marking them up big time. I guess they will eventually get caught. About 6 months ago a guy came her whining that he was blacklisted. Claimed he never bought for resale. The idiot didnt have enough sense to have a different id from his ebay id. I looked it up and it was pretty obvious why he was black listed.
Old 06-26-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movieguru
I've never ordered more than 2 of any title. Don't have much need to. If i order a lot from Columbia House during sales or any other time (even no more than 1 per title) can thta lead to being blacklisted?
While I have rarely ordered more than two of a title, it can be done under certain circumstances. But if one orders a few high value titles over and over it eventually becomes obvious to CH that one is selling. When they spot that, it leads to the blacklist, from the posts I have seen here over the years.

Ordering a lot from Columbia House during sales and promotions is what CH wants; buying more than the minimum required fulfillments is precisely what sale offers like BOGOF are intended to encourage!

So, no, it doesn't lead to the blacklist. That is reserved for people who violate club rules by selling DVDs, not paying bills in a timely manner, or having excessive numbers of returns that are not due to defects or mistakes by CH. Things like that. People who are blacklisted find any open accounts suddenly closed and they get a letter saying that CH has made a "business decision" to close them. It has nothing to do with the usual difficulty in opening new accounts that most of us face at one time or another (for reasons that remain mysterious).
I order many for myself, but I also get some for friends, coworkers, etc who don't want to join. They don't mind buyng a title for $8 to $10, all I get out of it is the double tripple funcash. I've had the same account for several years and haven't yet recyled as i've done well without doing so.
I have also used my accounts to purchase DVDs for friends who have no interest in buying a large number of DVDs or in learning how Columbia House works. I would guess that many here do this.
Old 06-27-07, 07:57 AM

they are less strict now as thier is virtually no market on ebay now. the people with disposable income have moved on to blu-ray and hddvd.
Old 06-27-07, 07:10 PM

they are less strict now as thier is virtually no market on ebay now.
There is no market on ebay because it is the ultimate bottom feeding market. I dont see how anyone other than possibly dvdplanet who has a store there is making much on dvd.