DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

What is the deal with the slow shipping?

Old 04-06-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the deal with the slow shipping?

I'm talking about CH actualy getting the dvds out and in the mail. I ordered The Natural and Silence of the Lambs with a B1G1F over a week before The Natural's release (this Tuesday) and as of today they still haven't been shipped out. What is the deal? Are you all having to wait forever to get your movies?
Old 04-06-07, 08:02 PM

I had placed a B1G1 for the Good Shepherd and another title. I received TGS yesterday, 2 days after it was released. But like you, I have been in the situation where a title takes forever to ship or receive. It seems to always be hit or miss on shipping w/ CH.
Old 04-07-07, 06:14 AM

very seldom do i see slow shipping problems with co house anymore.
we always have 2 accounts open at once and i think they are better than ever now- having used the club fanatically since 2001.
most of their shipments take less than or about a week (for me).
the site is often VERY slow to update your ACTUAL shipping information- usually it switches to a PENDING status (even though the item shipped already) right before i get the package in the mail. after i've received most packages the site will finally switch to a SHIPPED status.
be patient. yes, they screw up from time to time- but i bet your package comes sooner than you think.
Old 04-07-07, 08:02 AM

My last order with the $5.00 DVD Sale I got them in like a weeks time which isn't bad. Obviously it is hit or miss and maybe certain DVD's they have a limited stock and it takes a little longer.
Old 04-07-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You figure that they would try and get a pre-order out, if it is done a week ahead of actual release, within a day or two of its release. Here are the title I ordered about 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on them to ship. It says on all three "still waiting for credit approval". CH has my credit card. Don't they know how to charge it, box up the dvds and ship them?

The Natural 2-Disc Director's Cut
The Silence of the Lambs 2-Disc Special Edition
Happy Feet
Old 04-07-07, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
You figure that they would try and get a pre-order out, if it is done a week ahead of actual release, within a day or two of its release. Here are the title I ordered about 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on them to ship. It says on all three "still waiting for credit approval". CH has my credit card. Don't they know how to charge it, box up the dvds and ship them?

The Natural 2-Disc Director's Cut
The Silence of the Lambs 2-Disc Special Edition
Happy Feet
assuming you already checked online or with your bank to see if they have or haven't charged your credit card...
WAITING FOR CREDIT APPROVAL (usually) means they won't ship anything further because you might owe some other amount for something else. does your co house account list an outstanding balance on your ORDER HISTORY PAGE at the top under CURRENT BALANCE? if it says 0.00 balance, you should email- why, if you have a zero balance, are they not processing the order to the current credit card on file. maybe something is up with the card (an expiration date change or something, just guessing).
they would have gone ahead and shipped the other 2 titles separate of THE NATURAL since it's release date was just a few days ago. they split orders up.
so, something is holding up the shipping of all 3, not a stock issue with THE NATURAL.
again, don't freak out- they usually get things right and have always corrected any mishaps if you are a good customer.
Old 04-07-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Actually, "waiting for credit approval" is also used while Columbia House is waiting for a pre-order to come into stock. It is just a placeholder category in the order history.
Old 04-07-07, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
^ Actually, "waiting for credit approval" is also used while Columbia House is waiting for a pre-order to come into stock. It is just a placeholder category in the order history.
none of these titles are NOW pre-orders- SILENCE OF THE LAMBS 2 disc was released at the end of jan'07, HAPPY FEET almost 2 weeks ago and for that matter neither is THE NATURAL as of this last tuesday.

definitely a billing issue and not a pre-order stock issue, especially since all 3 are being held back.
Old 04-07-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just opened my first account. Submitted the application on late in the evening on March 28th and was approved on March 29th (I'm assuming the DVDs were shipped out this day). They got here to Council Bluffs, IA (near Omaha) on April 5th. I had only a 7-day turnaround between approval to arrival, so I am pretty happy right now. We'll see how they handle future orders!
Old 04-07-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I joined the TV Club (applied March 21st) and received a welcome to the Club email on the 27th. Today, I received the last fulfillment package, so I can cancel the account now. I was impressed this time - very fast turnaround.
Old 04-07-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guys this could just be CH being VERY slow in updating order history online. I still have orders saying pending when I actually received the items 3-4 months ago.
Old 04-07-07, 02:32 PM

I've had no problem with time to ship, but I have an order that shipped 3.5 weeks ago and it's still not here. Color me seriously miffed. I know media mail takes longer, but this is ridiculous.
Old 04-08-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Packages do get lost or stolen. But Columbia House will make you wait four weeks before reshipping it.
Old 04-08-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They finally cleared the payment for The Natural on Saturday. It showed up on my bank account. I still don't know why it took them this many days to process my payment. I guess I should be getting my movies about a week from now.
Old 04-08-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've received all of my orders only a few days after placing them. I haven't been plagued with slow shipping on my current accts yet.
Old 04-08-07, 11:37 PM

Shipping on pre-orders are one of the many inconsistencies with CH. I'm always happy when I see the charge show up the Friday before the title's release date (as that's usually the best indicator that it's being processed and shipped- the order history page is often very slow to update) and I've received several DVDs the exact day (and a couple times even the day before) it's released.

But I've also had numerous experiences like the one you're having, where a title(s) will inexplicably not be shipped for more than a week after its release. Just one of those frustrating oddities we have to deal with.

Last edited by legend42; 04-08-07 at 11:40 PM.