DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Clubs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs-13/)
-   -   Blu-Ray and HD-DVD to Columbia House when? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/493781-blu-ray-hd-dvd-columbia-house-when.html)

jigga6286 02-27-07 12:08 PM

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD to Columbia House when?

Hey,
Just wondering if any of you more informed people have heard of any rumors/plans for Columbia House to start carrying Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. And if so, do you think it will be in a separate club or as an attachment to the dvd club. thanks.

lizard 02-28-07 11:09 AM

No idea yet. But given that the numbers of HD DVDs and BDs sold are less than 1% of SD DVD, it seems unlikely that Columbia House will sell them any time soon. Columbia House deals in volume and the HD formats are niche markets thus far.

digitalfreaknyc 02-28-07 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by lizard
No idea yet. But given that the numbers of HD DVDs and BDs sold are less than 1% of SD DVD, it seems unlikely that Columbia House will sell them any time soon. Columbia House deals in volume and the HD formats are niche markets thus far.

laserdisc was as well and they had a laserdisc club.

lizard 02-28-07 11:29 AM

^An interesting point. But my sense is that Columbia House is struggling of late (lots of cutbacks in service and support) and is more likely to wait a bit before diving into the HD pool. Also, I believe that laser disc prices were even higher than HD DVD/BD prices, so there was more room for CH to make a profit, despite smaller numbers of club members. Might be wrong about that though.

The format war doesn't help. My recollection was that there were two types of laser discs. Did CH carry both or was one dead by then?

It is possible, however, that they might just offer a few high def discs to current DVD club customers to try to gauge the level of interest. Although it would complicate things greatly:

Customer: "The new Batman Begins HD DVD I bought won't play!".

CSR: "Do you have an HD DVD player?"

Customer: "My DVD player is hooked up to my HD TV."

CSR: "You have to use a special HD DVD player to play HD DVDs; they won't work in a regular DVD player."

Customer: "They why do you sell them in the DVD Club?"

(and so forth...)

I remain hopeful that CH will eventually carry one or both of the new formats. (And you know which one I would prefer.)

Obi-Jon Kenobi 02-28-07 10:58 PM

^ Although it would complicate things greatly:

Customer: "The new Batman Begins HD DVD I bought won't play!".

CSR: "Do you have an HD DVD player?"

Customer: "My DVD player is hooked up to my HD TV."

CSR: "You have to use a special HD DVD player to play HD DVDs; they won't work in a regular DVD player."

Customer: "They why do you sell them in the DVD Club?"

(and so forth...)

I remain hopeful that CH will eventually carry one or both of the new formats. (And you know which one I would prefer.)

They could just sell HD DVD combos. I wouldn't mind taking those for $.49.

Another thing to consider is CH lack of Fox and Disney titles. Which could really kill alot of the would be blu-ray sales.

digitalfreaknyc 03-01-07 12:17 PM

^An interesting point. But my sense is that Columbia House is struggling of late (lots of cutbacks in service and support) and is more likely to wait a bit before diving into the HD pool. Also, I believe that laser disc prices were even higher than HD DVD/BD prices, so there was more room for CH to make a profit, despite smaller numbers of club members.

Nah. A lot of the prices for discs are right in line with what they were for laserdiscs (except for special editions).