DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

A-List Free DVD Certificate - anyone get one?

Old 02-21-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A-List Free DVD Certificate - anyone get one?

I got one of these in the mail today, anyone ever get one?

It's an "A-List Free DVD Certificate"
Redeemable for 1 Free DVD (reg. price $19.95 or less)
No charge for shipping and processing.

Not sure how many members here are still on the A-List, but I've had this account open for a couple years now. I make orders every couple months or so when there is a really good offer.

The top of the letter says:
Congratulations! As an A-List Member, your recent purchases have earned you a free DVD.

and elsewhere in the letter:
Also be on the lookout for other exciting limited-time A-List Exclusives, such as free shipping and extra Funcash. Don't forget to regularly check the special A-List members' webpage (www.columbiahouse.com/alist) for news of monthly sales and special offers.

And remember, there's no limit to the number of Free DVDs you can earn. Your next purchase of $19.95 or higher will start you on the way to your next Free DVD.

I was never aware of anything like this, anyone else? Who knows what the heck you earn and how you get there, but it was a nice surprise. Granted, I haven't tried to redeem it yet, so I've yet to see if there are issues with it, but it seems like just a free DVD, no strings attached.
Old 02-21-07, 09:19 AM

Did it come as a separate letter, or was it included with the monthly envelope with all the selections and 3rd party marketing materials. I typically pitch that stuff without really looking through it. I may have to go through it more thoroughly if it may include free dvd certificates.
Old 02-21-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats. I had an account that probably would have been on the A-List, but after 2 years, I canceled it last week. DOH!
Old 02-21-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Congrats. I had an account that probably would have been on the A-List, but after 2 years, I canceled it last week. DOH!
I just did the same, but it was yesterday!
Old 02-21-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Murmur
Did it come as a separate letter, or was it included with the monthly envelope with all the selections and 3rd party marketing materials. I typically pitch that stuff without really looking through it. I may have to go through it more thoroughly if it may include free dvd certificates.
It was a separate mailing in it's own envelope, so you didn't likely miss it. It had the letter, certificate, and a ppd return envelope in it, that was it. You can redeem the DVD through the mail in certificate, or call a csr with an offer code provided on the certificate. It's a seven digit code, very different from any offer codes we are used to. Once I use it, I may post the offer code here to see if it can be used by others. I doubt it, but it may be possible!

I don't even remember how I got on the A-List? Does anyone?

EDIT: Just found some details on this, forgot it's been so long!

I have my "Welcome to the Columbia House A-List!" pamphlet still in my CH folder. Looks like getting on the A-List is/was an automatic thing based on some wacky CH criteria as usual. I just got lucky I guess.

It states:
Starting now, you'll get one free DVD for every five you purchase at $19.95 or higher (excluding shipping and processing). Once you've completed your five purchases, we'll send you a certificate redeemable for the DVD of your choice.

Now I know why I got this, I guess I must've made my 5 purchases, surprise!

Last edited by basaro; 02-21-07 at 09:48 AM.