DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Warner Director's Showcase Titles via Columbia House?

Old 02-20-07, 10:11 AM

Warner Director's Showcase Titles via Columbia House?

I recently cancelled my CH membership and I cannot search the "real" website for titles. However, I received a "Come Back" offer last night and I did some quick searches on that site.

I've always been under the impression that Not Yet Available for Enrollment titles were searchable via that site; they simply read "MEMBERS ONLY" next to them and are not selectable.

I was mulling doing a quick membership with this 7/2 offer. However, I cannot find any of the Director's Showcase titles via this barker site. These titles include Performance, The Butcher Boy, Ginger and Fred, and The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.

I can find all three releases of The Departed, a Warner title that was also released 2/13. I can find other recent catalog titles from Warner like The Clock.

Is it likely that they won't be carrying these titles, or do I just need to be patient? It's disappointing if it is apparently the former.
Old 02-20-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ To the best of my knowledge all titles available from Columbia House can be searched for and found on the enrollment site. If you can't find it there, it is likely that it don't carry it at this time.

Whether they will carry a particular Warner title eventually is hard to predict and I have no idea. Sorry.
Old 02-20-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was also waiting on some of the same titles you mentioned, plus a few other Warner's releases from January (Robert Mitchum Signature Collection, Blume in Love, among others). CH has historically been very good about carrying nearly every catalog title that Warner's releases, but lately they've been slacking off.

I did notice that they had A Summer Place on its release date, although they never offered it as a pre-order. So some WB catalog releases are sneaking in there. It just doesn't seem like CH is going to be as good about carrying all of them like they used to.
Old 02-21-07, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I didn't know if there were any predictable rules about CH adding catalog titles, particularly from WB; I haven't been paying much attention lately.

I did notice that about half the Clark Gable Signature Collection titles were unavailable when I did my quick membership and cancel last month, but I assumed that they were not released individually. However, that is apparently not the case.
Old 02-21-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what they pick from Warner's Catalog releases.

They have "Up Periscope" & "Operation Crossbow", but not "Looker" or "The Illustrated Man". Don't understand why they don't carry all the catalog titles.

The Robert Mitchum Box Set is now available on the site.